New house build, pre-wire done but need help with final - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 04-09-2018, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lightbulb New house build, pre-wire done but need help with final

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I've read through the forums and found some answers but nothing that it either up to date or applicable to my scenario. Long story short, build a house, pre-wired for multi zone a/v but what should I use to finish it off. It was pre-wired by a control 4 dealer who typically wires as if thats what your getting, but I think it may be overkill??

Here is the scenario:
Audio: 4 or 5 Zones
Zone 1 - Home Theatre, only setup for 5.1
Zone 2 - Outdoor deck, 2 speakers
Zone 3 - Indoor kitchen / dining room, 2 speakers
Zone 4 - Master Bathroom
Zone 5 - could be mixed with another zone, speaker in covered porch off master bedroom. Could be mixed with bathroom, or deck speakers but its own zone would be preferred.

Video - Wired for Cat5 to 4 bedrooms, and 3 other tv's throughout the house. The only one I think I would want to run specifically through the system would be the main home theater connected to the 5.1 audio, and possibly the main living room TV. But for the rest, I am okay with using a regular remote and the audio from those TV's as they are just in bedrooms.

I have a few other smart home products for my alarm system (abode), HVAC (ecobee), schlage maindoor deadbolt. I am fine running those through IFTTT.

Any ideas? Is Control 4 the solution for my multi zone setup or is their something at a lower cost since I would not be using control 4 to its fullest, such as harmony hub or a fancy avr?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 04-09-2018, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscarlso View Post
Thanks for taking the time to read this post. I've read through the forums and found some answers but nothing that it either up to date or applicable to my scenario. Long story short, build a house, pre-wired for multi zone a/v but what should I use to finish it off. It was pre-wired by a control 4 dealer who typically wires as if thats what your getting, but I think it may be overkill??

Here is the scenario:
Audio: 4 or 5 Zones
Zone 1 - Home Theatre, only setup for 5.1
Zone 2 - Outdoor deck, 2 speakers
Zone 3 - Indoor kitchen / dining room, 2 speakers
Zone 4 - Master Bathroom
Zone 5 - could be mixed with another zone, speaker in covered porch off master bedroom. Could be mixed with bathroom, or deck speakers but its own zone would be preferred.

Video - Wired for Cat5 to 4 bedrooms, and 3 other tv's throughout the house. The only one I think I would want to run specifically through the system would be the main home theater connected to the 5.1 audio, and possibly the main living room TV. But for the rest, I am okay with using a regular remote and the audio from those TV's as they are just in bedrooms.

I have a few other smart home products for my alarm system (abode), HVAC (ecobee), schlage maindoor deadbolt. I am fine running those through IFTTT.

Any ideas? Is Control 4 the solution for my multi zone setup or is their something at a lower cost since I would not be using control 4 to its fullest, such as harmony hub or a fancy avr?
You could very easily use Sonos or a Mirage MMS-1e couples with a M120e amp. The 5.1 zone would require some programming to get it on and to the right input, but that will be part of whatever control system you select for that. The Control 4 is not a bad idea so long as it's not crazy expensive because you would get your remote and whole home audio control as part of one application.

What you do with the WHA system will depend on decisions made in the rest of your house. If your talking about have 4-5 different displays that need a remote, control 4 is going to start to make sense so that all your a/v is integrated. You also have to consider audio from the TV sources and how that will be switched, and if it even needs to be at all.

See what you need in terms of control for the rest of the house, if that answer is control 4 then integrate the WHA with control 4, if that answer is "I don't really need anyting" then use a standalone system.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
Control 4 , harmony hub , multi-zone

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page