Mixed 5.1 and 2ch stereo with HDMI Matrix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-11-2018, 09:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Mixed 5.1 and 2ch stereo with HDMI Matrix

Hello everyone, I’m back with another query to see if my assumptions are correct.

I’m going to have a setup with a 8x6 4K HDMI matrix for video distribution, however, there are only 2 zones that I want 5.1 audio in. My understanding is that hdbaset matrix technology works on the lowest common denominator, therefore, if I connect zones that want 5.1 and 2 ch, it will only output 2 ch.

After doing some reading, I understand that some components (input devices) can output audio via HDMI and optical simultaneously. Therefore, what I aim to do is the following.

Connect components to matrix, and set those that I want 5.1 from to output via optical. Probably 4 of 6 input devices.

Then run optical to a 4x2 ir controlled optical switch. Thus, the 2 zones I want 5.1 to, will receive multi-channel audio, while other zones will get standard 2 ch straight from the hdbaset connection on the HDMI matrix.

As the run for 1 is the 5.1 zones is quite long, I’ll probably have to use baluns over CAT to get it to the location.

Is this a workable design?

I know that scalers are available for the HDMI matrix I’m looking at, but that would require 4 scalers to downmix the 5.1 in 4 zones. And they’re not that cheap.

Any info would be really helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-16-2018, 07:02 AM - Thread Starter

**bump**

Anyone able to help with this?

I’ve been reading and am I correct that another option would be just to push 5.1 from all devices into the matrix, and at the 2ch zones use a soundbar via optical out to downmix the audio??

post #3 of 7 Old 05-02-2018, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

*Bump*

Anyone know if they described will work?

I know HDBaseT has its audio limitations, but I really would like to get 5.1 in 2 locations

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 05-03-2018, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked: 336
The 'simple' fix would be to add a low cost Soundbar, which can support whatever your Source is Outputting for best playback in the main Zones, in each of your secondary Zones.

HDBT may have some limitations for Video and Audio depending on what your Source devices and main Zones are capable of supporting.

Be careful with the '4K' badge on low cost Matrix - you have to ensure '4K' covers all UHD formats you want to support, many budget HDBT Matrix based on early HDBT chip sets can be limited to 2160p, 30Hz with HDCP 1.4.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-03-2018, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
The 'simple' fix would be to add a low cost Soundbar, which can support whatever your Source is Outputting for best playback in the main Zones, in each of your secondary Zones.

HDBT may have some limitations for Video and Audio depending on what your Source devices and main Zones are capable of supporting.

Be careful with the '4K' badge on low cost Matrix - you have to ensure '4K' covers all UHD formats you want to support, many budget HDBT Matrix based on early HDBT chip sets can be limited to 2160p, 30Hz with HDCP 1.4.

Joe

Thank you for the information Joe:
It sounds like a soundbar system might be the best option.
I’ll do some looking around for ones that can decode required formats.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-04-2018, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
Thank you for the information Joe:
It sounds like a soundbar system might be the best option.
I’ll do some looking around for ones that can decode required formats.

I will commonly set my source EDIDs to 5.1 and make sure my displays will decode it if using TV speakers. Most will. If not using TV speakers, I'll take the analog or even optical output and get the downmixed stereo or 2ch pcm to return back to the WHA system.

James Babin - System designer myEasytek
Last Post: Low Voltage Wiring Guide
post #7 of 7 Old 05-04-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Babin View Post
I will commonly set my source EDIDs to 5.1 and make sure my displays will decode it if using TV speakers. Most will. If not using TV speakers, I'll take the analog or even optical output and get the downmixed stereo or 2ch pcm to return back to the WHA system.

That sounds promising. I’ll need to check whether the current sets can decode and downmix on their own.
As you said, one of the best ways is to take the analogue and distribute via the audio matrix.
However, I’m not putting in a particularly ‘skilled’ multi-zone amp. Just a simple 12 channel matrix amp for audio listening.
So only 6 inputs which will be occupied by the doorbell on paging and then audio sources for streaming.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page