1Likes
  • 1 Post By jautor

post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2018, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Nuvo and Sonos

I purchased a home that has a Nuvo Essentia system. I wanted to “upgrade” the system to where I could stream audio...pandora, etc. I contacted a Nuvo customer service person and they told me that a Sonos Connect would work with the system. I thought it was odd they told me this, but whatever. I then called Sonos and they said the same thing. Buy a connect, plus it into one of the six inputs on the back of the Essentia, it would pick it up and it was that easy.

Nope. I have tried finding the source on the map itself and on the wall controls. Nothing.

Does anyone know if you can hook a Sonos Connect to an Essentia?

If so, how do you find the source on either they amp itself or on the wall keypad?

This is not my area of expertise, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-30-2018, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuvoNewb View Post
Does anyone know if you can hook a Sonos Connect to an Essentia?
Yes, it's just like any other source (analog L/R audio)...

Quote:
If so, how do you find the source on either they amp itself or on the wall keypad?

This is not my area of expertise, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
If the previous owner/dealer turned off the un-used sources, you'll need to download the configuration software, attach a serial cable to the NuVo unit and change the programming. Actually, you may be able to make that change by entering the setup menu from the keypads. Read the setup manual - you can search and download it from the web, too.

Basically you need to enable one of the un-used source inputs, or, if you want a quick solution, unplug one of the existing sources and put the Sonos there, at least temporarily...

What sources do you have attached now, are you using them, and how many sources show up on the keypads?

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-30-2018, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great minds think alike....it’s a dual tuner, so it can play a different source on two of the six zones at the same time. I unplugged the analog rc’s from source 2 and plugged in my Sonos and it works. Doesn’t read what I am playing from the Sonos as I haven’t messed with the Nuvonet yet. That’s later.

But I believe you are correct that the previous owner blocked the unused 4-6 source. (Source 3 has an iPad dock). I ran to Bestbuy and bought an rs232 to USB cable to hook from the Nuvo to my laptop. Downloaded and installed the software, but problem #2 is that no matter what I do, it says there is nothing connected. It is not picking up the Nuvo system when I try to pull up the config.

Any thoughts there? I sincerely appreciate your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-31-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuvoNewb View Post
Doesn’t read what I am playing from the Sonos as I haven’t messed with the Nuvonet yet. That’s later.
And it won't. The only products that get information on the keypads are the NuVo sources. There are some software projects around to get metadata from Sonos and other sources, but the native support is limited to the NuVo tuners, iPod docks and Music Port Server.

Quote:
But I believe you are correct that the previous owner blocked the unused 4-6 source. (Source 3 has an iPad dock). I ran to Bestbuy and bought an rs232 to USB cable to hook from the Nuvo to my laptop. Downloaded and installed the software, but problem #2 is that no matter what I do, it says there is nothing connected. It is not picking up the Nuvo system when I try to pull up the config.
check the configuration of the serial port / USB adapter - it needs to be set up for the proper baud rate - I can't recall if the NuVo runs at 19.2k, 9600 or 56k on that connection, but it has to be correct otherwise you won't get a thing... I've used several USB adapters though and they've all worked when configured for the device.
Neurorad likes this.

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-30-2019, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Did you ever get this to work? I have the exact same setup and was going to install a Sonos port to the system. The installers here wanted me to rip out nuvo and just install 4 Sonos amps seems unnecessary
post #6 of 8 Old 10-31-2019, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastaflexx View Post
Did you ever get this to work? I have the exact same setup and was going to install a Sonos port to the system. The installers here wanted me to rip out nuvo and just install 4 Sonos amps seems unnecessary
and what was their rationale for not reusing the nuvo?
The Nuvo can use any analog source as input.

Is the Nuvo functional? How are you controlling it? Keypads? Do you have a control system also connected?
post #7 of 8 Old 10-31-2019, 09:10 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
and what was their rationale for not reusing the nuvo?
The Nuvo can use any analog source as input.

Is the Nuvo functional? How are you controlling it? Keypads? Do you have a control system also connected?

The Nuvo works I can only get the radio to stream for now since we just moved in. The system is controlled by keypads in various rooms which seem to be tied to individual zones.

Apologize for the crappy picture but this is the system currently in place.

https://imgur.com/a/lwSgdvb

They want to replace Nuvo since its a "Legacy system" and suggested the Sonos Amp would make the speakers perform better as it has more power...
post #8 of 8 Old 10-31-2019, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Hi,

1) don’t hurry.
You have an interesting and valuable system that could be a base for many years despite being oldish. You may end up with Sonos, but there are quite a few things to consider first.

2) preferred music sources.
Please elaborate extensively as it will drive your needs and help us guide you:
- what streaming service(s) do you prefer? Could you consider another one?
- how much local drive based music do you listen to (mp3 library)
- do you prefer playlists or selecting albums. How do you curate playlists?
- do you listen to traditional FM/AM radio
- do you listen to radio-streaming apps (Tunein, ...)

3) interaction
- by experience, most panels are mainly used for power and volume, but with some you may want to actively select source and review meta data.
- do you have such a place? Kitchen, Living room...
- on the contrary, would you prefer to be 100% app based vs a mixed app / panel usage.
- is your family iOS or Android?
- what odd need would you really appreciate?

4) system
- you have many amplified zones in the Concerto plus an extra amplifier. Why? Any special room/need?
- how many panels do you have? Which type (attach picture under options)
- do you by any chance have a "Nuvo Dock for iPod" connected as well? It can provide some quick fixes to your needs.

5) integration
- do you already own a Sonos Connect? (Unclear)
- do you have a home automation system?
- what are your general scripting/programming skills? None/some/intermediate/advanced

BTW, if you have not done it yet, connect the MPS4 to the internet (cable) and download the (old) Nuvo app to your phone. Reviews are poor, but don’t let that put you off. It works good enough with some patience.
With a web browser you can also access a web app (Adobe Flash) for control and standard HTML pages for configuration.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 11-04-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page