WHA Ceiling speakers placement - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By ahard

post #1 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
WHA Ceiling speakers placement

Hello,

I wanted to ask your opinion on my plan of placing ceiling speakers for WHA. I have 6 zones altogether.
Kitchen and Family room is a open concept so I decided to put under one zone. Would you separate those two or keep them like i have it now?
Would you change placement of any speakers in any of the rooms?

Thank you for advise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Placement.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	853.7 KB
ID:	2444018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Placement 1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	723.0 KB
ID:	2444020  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Hello -

Looks good overall, but I would separate out the Family Room speakers. I like having the Kitchen/Dining Area as 1 zone, but to tie that same sourse, and more importantly volume, in the Family Room I don't think is a good idea. Also, with (6) 8 ohm speakers, depending on how you wire them, the resistance may very well be ~3 ohms, which may be a challenge to find an amp that supports that.

I would re-think the Family Room overall anyways. At the very least, I would go with 4 ceiling speakers due to the size. Secondly, is there going to be a 5.1/7.1 system in there as well? May be able to utilize those speakers for WHA as a second-duty.

Just some thoughts.

Matt

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #3 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

I am going to use either Monoprice or HTD wha controllers so you are right, I cant use 6 speakers on 1 zone like I planned to. I fixed the plan and separated family from kitchen.

I am not crazy about surround sound so I ll just have soundbar with some wireless rear speakers and subwoofer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Placement.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	863.8 KB
ID:	2444052   Click image for larger version

Name:	Speaker Placement 1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	711.4 KB
ID:	2444054  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Sounds good.

I'll just make one other comment, in regards to trying to keep to 6 zones; although you should absolutely run speaker wire to both rooms, I would think the Office would get more use from a WHA system than the Master Bedroom. Obviously each person/couple is different, but in my experience the WHA system isn't used much in bedrooms.

Thanks,
Matt

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
post #5 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 12:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
No right or wrong way

I looked at your second rendering and the placement of the speakers in the living room look much better than the first render. I'm all for audio in as many zones as possible, so if you can possibly include at one dual voice coil speaker in the office as well as bedrooms 1 & 2 I think that be good for your enjoyment in the long-run. Your outdoor porch looks long. Maybe place that speaker in the middle instead of the edge of the patio.

I'd like to add some lessons learned from my WHA implementation, which was done in July 2016; just some of my random thoughts that may help you.
  • I too started with 6 zones. Family room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bathroom, bedrooms 1 & 2.
  • A year later I wanted at least one outdoor zone because I like to host outdoor dinners. So I added a zone for the back porch.
  • Earlier this year I noticed that as I walked around the house I had what I term as audio dead zones, which are rooms that had no audio but I was in and out of those rooms a lot. The effect was that as I left a room that had sound and walked into a room without sound, I was missing out on the action. So that prompted me to add audio to the laundry room & my master bedroom closet. I also added audio to the front porch because there is a lake in front of my home and I like to sit on the porch, drink coffee and listen to Watercolors on Saturday mornings. Now I have 10 zones.

When I first had the initial 6 zones installed I was thinking it wasn't a big deal to not have audio in the other rooms because I don't 'live' in those rooms. But after living with the system and adapting it to my lifestyle I realized that I needed more than the initial implementation. So just think about how you move throughout your home. Even though I'm the only one in my home and I don't hang out in bedrooms and 1 & 2, I do have guests from time to time and I'm in both of those rooms shredding paperwork, fussing around with the printer, cleaning, etc that it made sense for those rooms to have audio. It's the same with the laundry room. I'm in there long enough loading clothes and walking through it that I would miss out on the action. Food for thought.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #6 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
I looked at your second rendering and the placement of the speakers in the living room look much better than the first render. I'm all for audio in as many zones as possible, so if you can possibly include at one dual voice coil speaker in the office as well as bedrooms 1 & 2 I think that be good for your enjoyment in the long-run. Your outdoor porch looks long. Maybe place that speaker in the middle instead of the edge of the patio.

I'd like to add some lessons learned from my WHA implementation, which was done in July 2016; just some of my random thoughts that may help you.
  • I too started with 6 zones. Family room, kitchen, master bedroom, master bathroom, bedrooms 1 & 2.
  • A year later I wanted at least one outdoor zone because I like to host outdoor dinners. So I added a zone for the back porch.
  • Earlier this year I noticed that as I walked around the house I had what I term as audio dead zones, which are rooms that had no audio but I was in and out of those rooms a lot. The effect was that as I left a room that had sound and walked into a room without sound, I was missing out on the action. So that prompted me to add audio to the laundry room & my master bedroom closet. I also added audio to the front porch because there is a lake in front of my home and I like to sit on the porch, drink coffee and listen to Watercolors on Saturday mornings. Now I have 10 zones.

When I first had the initial 6 zones installed I was thinking it wasn't a big deal to not have audio in the other rooms because I don't 'live' in those rooms. But after living with the system and adapting it to my lifestyle I realized that I needed more than the initial implementation. So just think about how you move throughout your home. Even though I'm the only one in my home and I don't hang out in bedrooms and 1 & 2, I do have guests from time to time and I'm in both of those rooms shredding paperwork, fussing around with the printer, cleaning, etc that it made sense for those rooms to have audio. It's the same with the laundry room. I'm in there long enough loading clothes and walking through it that I would miss out on the action. Food for thought.
Thanks for your input.

I plan to run speaker cable to all rooms but unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to get another amp and speakers for each room.
Do you mind sharing your WHA components for your setup?
post #7 of 8 Old 08-20-2018, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by D4R3K68 View Post
Thanks for your input.

I plan to run speaker cable to all rooms but unfortunately my budget doesn't allow me to get another amp and speakers for each room.
Do you mind sharing your WHA components for your setup?
Running wire is to every location is smart. That way when you have the funds you can add speakers. My WHA components include the following:
  • 1 Tru Audio 6 zone amp - Integrator installed - 2016
  • 6 Chromecast Audios connected to the amp; 1 of each connected to each zone input - Integrator installed - 2016
  • 3 In-Ceiling Dual Voice Coil SpeakerCraft speakers; 1 master bathroom, 2 bedrooms 1 & 2 - Integrator installed - 2016
  • 6 In-Ceiling Yamaha speakers - 2 in the kitchen, 2 in the family, 2 in the master bedroom- Integrator installed - 2016
  • 1 Riva Arena Chromecast Speaker on the back porch - mounted to the wall - Installed myself Oct 2017
  • 1 Riva Arena Chromecast speaker on the front porch - mounted to the wall - Installed myself Augut 2018
  • 1 Toshiba Chromecast speaker on a shelf in the laundry room - Installed myself August 2018
  • 1 Toshiba Chromecast speaker in the master bedroom closet on a shelf - Installed myself August 2018

I've posted in several of the Chromecast threads on this forum. I went the Chromecast route because of the flexibility and low cost of entry. I had looked at Sonos Connect but it would have been too costly for me to add one for each zone. What I wanted from a WHA system was to have independent audio for each zone and to be able to group the zones anyway that I want. Chromecast fit the bill

I really enjoy using Chromecast and having a wide variety of speakers in that ecosystem that I could add after my initial installation made me appreciate the effort Google and it's partners have put into building the Chromecast ecosystem. When I had the system installed in July of 2016 I don't think that there were any partners making speakers; some had announced products but there were none on the market at that time. Fast forward to Oct of 2017 and there was an abundance of options available to me.

I listen to the system everyday and since I've gotten two Google Home minis over the last 8 months my experience has gotten better. I use voice primarily to control the audio whether that is stopping or starting audio streams. And now that Google has added scheduled routines to the Google Home, I've scheduled the system to start every Friday at 5:15pm, where it plays a smooth jazz radio station I created on Pandora. That way when I walk into the house from a long day at work my music is playing in each zone on each speaker inside and outside of the house.

I used an Iphone 10 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet for control of the system. I primarily listen to Sirius XM. I open the Sirius app on the tablet and cast the audio stream from the app to the groups I want to have music. When I go to work each morning I tell Google Home to turn on "Work", which is an scene from my home automation hub. The "Work" scene turns off all of the lights and A/V systems in the home, but in addition to that I created a routine in Google Home that combines the "Work" scene with a Google Home command that ends all of the audio streams. So as I'm walking out the door all of my audio stops playing and the "Work" scene activates.
D4R3K68 likes this.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #8 of 8 Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

OK so now I have 4 8ohm speakers in kitchen and (Zone 2) and 4 8ohm speakers in Family room (Zone 4)

I am planning to use Monoprice 6 Zone Home Audio Multizone Controller. 50 watts/channel into a 4-ohm load or 25 watts/channel into an 8-ohm load.

What way would be the best to wire the speakers? Do I need an additional speaker selector in this setup? With this monoprice controller, wouldnt 2 speakers per zone give me same amount of power as wiring 4 speakers?Sorry I am a total noob when it comes to this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
ceiling , speakers , wha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page