Passthrough problems with new UHD TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By pwishart
  • 1 Post By giomania
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 8 Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Passthrough problems with new UHD TV

Hi

I have recently upgraded to a LG OLED TV in my setup. I have all AV equipment in a back room that is piped to my lounge via an Onkyo amp and a single HDMI cable. Everything is controlled via Harmony remote.

When the TV was first installed, everything was fine. But now I'm getting a lot of interference when I first switch everything on. The screen goes through cucles of flashing, lines on the picture, fuzzy screen. My startup is typically TV on, Sky Q box on, Onkyo Amp switched to passthrough.

After that, everything seems fine.

Will attach a youtube video when i have done 5 posts ;-) I can't do that yet!

Any ideas?

Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-08-2018, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Will try taking Onkyo amp out of the link - see if that's causing problems as it seems to do the same thing when the input is my AppleTV...but not as bad
post #3 of 8 Old 09-08-2018, 11:46 PM - Thread Starter

I do have quite a long HDMI cable, and have to use a booster at the tv end....has always been fine with my Samsung HDTV though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-08-2018, 11:47 PM - Thread Starter

Here's a short video of what the screen does at startup:

post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2018, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked: 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter weare View Post
I do have quite a long HDMI cable, and have to use a booster at the tv end....has always been fine with my Samsung HDTV though
Your problem is the HDMI cable, for your old 1080P equipment cheap High Speed HDMI cables will work.

Once you made the jump to 4K (2160P) you need Premium Certified HDMI cables, they will have the Premium Certified emblem on the package.

You can't use that cheap HDMI booster anymore either., you will find Premium Certified HDMI cables that are good to around 25 feet, if you need longer cables you will have to go with HDMI to fiber optic converters and fiber optic cables, never ever use HDMI cables shorter then 6 feet, they will cause all sorts of problems.

You should also download the HDMI.org App to your phone or tablet and use it to verify the Premium Certified emblems on your packages, some cheap junk HDMI cable manufacturers ( they make about 95% of the cables for sale) are counterfeiting the emblem to try to con people into buy their junk.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HDMI_tag_explanation-600x341.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	2453072  
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2018, 09:56 AM
QuadMersed in bass!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 403
I wanted to share my experience using Belden bonded pair “Series FE” HDMI cables from Blue Jeans Cable (BJC) for years, many in lengths shorter than six feet.

I have been reading for years the recommendation to use cables at least six feet in length, but I have never had any problems with the BJC “Series FE” cables in my various complex HDMI distribution system iterations with multiple HDMI switches. I also had a Darbee Vision device which was notorious for requiring 6 foot or longer HDMI cables.

The BJC “Series FE” cables I purchased in 2011 are still made using the same materials and process, but now they are Premium Certified, so I don’t need to purchase new cables.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
peter weare likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2018, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3146 Post(s)
Liked: 2192
BJC Premium High Speed HDMI cables are certified (ATC) up to 15', even tho the max certification distance is currently 25' and 30' in some cases. I have never seen verifiable data that indicates a problem using shorter length passive HDMI cables (2' - 10'). As long as your cable has the QR label for authenticity you know that it has gone thru a rigorous, standardized testing protocol to meet all HDMI 2.0b hardware specifications for the length tested.

If there is a shorter cable length issue then HDMI 2.1 is going to be in trouble because HDMI.org states that the maximum length for HDMI 2.1 tested cables is 2M to 3M (6' to 9').

BJC sells Premium High Speed HDMI cables in lengths starting at 1' in 1' increments up to 10'.

As to OP's issue, if he's using a cable that is longer than about 20', and with an extender/booster at the end, that's probably his issue. 4k HDR is very unforgiving so the best connection is a single cable, source to sink, with no additional hardware at the end (switches, boosters, extenders, etc). They can work but most folks have issues sooner or later. HDMI chipset versions also play a key role in a successful cable connection. Hybrid fiber cables seem to be the cable of choice now for long 4k HDR runs.

The purpose of the QR label, in addition to verifying that the cable as been properly certified is that the label is counterfeit proof. Just scan it with your phone to check.
peter weare likes this.

Last edited by Otto Pylot; 09-09-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2018, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks all - yes it is the cheap HDMI cable at my tv....i stupidly bought a cheap white one as the back of the TV is white. It was ok for the first few weeks, then the glitches started - which have recently got worse. Just swapped back to my original quality cable and it all works fine!

....just have to live with a black cable and white tv ;0)

I must admit, i do like the white back to the LG OLED - as our TV is out in the open and you can see the back from the lounge - we are all white walls and glass.

I'm not actually feeding any 4k content from my back room - all sources are still 1080 - via my HD Onkyo amp. I think i'm going to be in trouble in the future as my long HDMI cable to the tv is 1.4 and embedded in the floor - it was the only way to do it, and the top spec at the time (2011).

I do watch 4k online via the TV apps - great picture. But UK has very little 4k content. We are just getting 4k through SkyQ, but pretty limited.

I guess my problems are just about to start ;-(

Will keep an eye out on those cheap cables from now on

Pete

Last edited by peter weare; 09-10-2018 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
hdmi , oled , uhd

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page