OnQ Lyriq - "Whole House" button not working - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OnQ Lyriq - "Whole House" button not working

We have an OnQ Lyriq system with 6 installed zones using high performance keypads. We've noticed recently that the 'whole house' button on all of the keypads has stopped working. Pressing the button on any of the keypads causes it to flash as expected, but the selected function (power on, change volume, select source, etc.) does not get propagated to any of the other 5 keypads. This behavior is consistent - none of them work. All of the other functions on the individual keypads work normally, volume, select source, on/off, mute, for all connected sound sources. Only the 'whole house' function is failing. I've tried killing power to the hub and all the keypads, but it didn't help.

I've had to replace the hub once before due to a power surge, and I'm suspecting this is another hub problem.

Thoughts? Has anyone seen this symptom before?

Thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Haven’t seen this particular problem, but it definitely sounds like an issue with the Lyriq controller.

You can still find them online. The good news though is that being you have all high-performance keypads, you can easily upgrade to the newer On-Q digital audio system.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
Haven’t seen this particular problem, but it definitely sounds like an issue with the Lyriq controller.

You can still find them online. The good news though is that being you have all high-performance keypads, you can easily upgrade to the newer On-Q digital audio system.

Is that a fact? I'm not at all aware of or familiar with the digital audio system. Where can I go to learn about it and what it can do? My existing system, I designed, configured, wired, and installed myself while our house was being built so I know everything about how it's put together. I wired it all with Cat6 from the very beginning.

thanks,
Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearGFR View Post
Is that a fact? I'm not at all aware of or familiar with the digital audio system. Where can I go to learn about it and what it can do? My existing system, I designed, configured, wired, and installed myself while our house was being built so I know everything about how it's put together.
Ok, so I did just find some information on the OnQ site. It looks interesting! One question: is the AU-7000 compatible with an existing AU-1011 triple source input? That one sends 3 sources over two Cat5/6 cables - designated A and B. My system has one of those, plus one single source input.

Thanks,
Rob
post #5 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Is that a fact? I'm not at all aware of or familiar with the digital audio system. Where can I go to learn about it and what it can do? My existing system, I designed, configured, wired, and installed myself while our house was being built so I know everything about how it's put together. I wired it all with Cat6 from the very beginning.

thanks,
Rob
Quote:
Ok, so I did just find some information on the OnQ site. It looks interesting! One question: is the AU-7000 compatible with an existing AU-1011 triple source input? That one sends 3 sources over two Cat5/6 cables - designated A and B. My system has one of those, plus one single source input.

Thanks,
Rob
Well that's what I get for posting before I read... Looks like the Au-7000 requires a digital input from either an AU-7001 or an AU-7007, so I'm assuming that I'd need to replace all my analog inputs (the triple source and the single source) pickup points with AU7007's unless there's some way to preserve that triple (like with a 'converter' between its two Cat5/6 cables and the AU7000). That would mean that at the point where I have the triple source today, I'll lose a source because there are only two Cat5/6 input cables at that location that are (today) capable of carrying 3 sources. As it turns out, I'm only using two of those at present so that may not be a bad thing. I also like that the AU7001 will let me create a source that can access digital music I have available on my home network - that'd be cool.

Rob
post #6 of 9 Old 10-06-2018, 04:29 PM

Yeh, one source per Cat5 from the AU7007.

They keypads all require power (PW1020 + power supply) so as long as all of your keypads are HP, you can swap them. The newer system has 20w & 60w HP keypad options.

Yes, AU7001 lets you access local content, and it also has a USB port on the rear for connecting a flash drive. It uses the Nuvo music share program on your PC or Mac to access media libraries, or you can stream from your phone/tablet.

You can have a maximum of four global sources; so that could be two AU7007’s and two AU7001’s, and each zone can have its own local source (AU7008). You can daisy-chain four AU7008’s per zone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

I found a place that claimed to be able to repair my two broken AU1002's: Radwell International. However, the experience turned out to be "less than satisfactory" (all that happened was that my time got wasted and nothing got repaired). I've researched going with OnQ's digital system (I'm already wired for it) but the price tag to get my system back up and running again would be about $1700. Woof... Plus with my previous experience with them discontinuing the Lyriq system, what's to say that wouldn't happen again in the near future?

Does anyone know of another vendor's system that would work with my existing wiring? It consists of Cat6 from a central cabinet out to 6 keypad locations, Cat6 runs to 5 different source locations (4 +1 spare), power to all the keypad locations to support OnQ's high performance keypads, speakers + wiring from all the keypad locations.

Thanks,
Bear
post #8 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 10:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked: 97
So, the speaker signals are distributed via Cat6? A digital or analog signal?
Maybe replace with HEOS wireless instead?
post #9 of 9 Old 12-25-2018, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Plus with my previous experience with them discontinuing the Lyriq system, what's to say that wouldn't happen again in the near future?

It’s pretty much guaranteed to happen as the technology advances and new products are introduced.

I think we have a few more years with On-Q digital but nothing is ever certain.

Edit to add..... I think you can still buy the AU1002; not all of the Lyriq stuff has been discontinued. The triple source input is no longer available but I think the distribution module is. I checked recently for someone else here ..... if you really want one I can find out from my Legrand rep if they have any.

I think what led to the new On-Q digital line was the purchase of Nuvo, as they have a lot of commonality between the keypads and app interface. So I do feel more confident it will be around for awhile. I wish they’d retained the IR control in the new digital line, but other than that, it’s worth the upgrade. If you have any way to access the wiring easily to change the speaker wiring, I would say go with the Nuvo system. You could use the existing Cat5 to each keypad to power the PoE keypads; you would just need to get all the speaker wiring to the Nuvo device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by brantmacga; 12-25-2018 at 06:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page