Question on wiring for new home - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-06-2018, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question on wiring for new home

We are constructing a new home and are starting the low voltage wiring for whole home audio/video, automation, etc. I asked the contractor to run conduit to each TV location but he is suggesting running the existing wires (I asked for 3 cat 6 and 2 RG6 at each TV location) free and run an empty 3/4 inch smurftube in addition for future expansion. So basically not run the 3 Cat6 and 2 RG6 through the tube. Do you experienced folks think this is fine? I think he is trying to save labor to keep cost down but not sure since I am totally new to this and any knowledge I have is going through this forum :-).

Last edited by itzwinger; 12-06-2018 at 08:16 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-06-2018, 09:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by itzwinger View Post
We are constructing a new home and are starting the low voltage wiring for whole home audio/video, automation, etc. I asked the contractor to run conduit to each TV location but he is suggesting running the existing wires (I asked for 3 cat 6 and 2 RG6 at each TV location) free and run an empty 3/4 inch smurftube in addition for future expansion. So basically not run the 3 Cat6 and 2 RG6 through the tube. Do you experienced folks think this is fine? I think he is trying to save labor to keep cost down but not sure since I am totally new to this and any knowledge I have is going through this forum :-).
I only have run 3/4" conduit for RG6 for my roof antenna. I found it work but was tight pull around some threaded spots. I use 2" conduit. Drop ceilings give the most flexibility. Consider if that is a look you like.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #3 of 5 Old 12-06-2018, 11:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Install the conduit empty. Run the cables outside of the conduit. The conduit is for future cables that haven't been invented yet.

For a TV in a room with surround sound, also run cables/conduit to the equipment location, and run cables for the speakers. Bury speaker cables behind drywall, but take pictures before the drywall goes up so it's easy to find them later.

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 12-06-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
Install the conduit empty. Run the cables outside of the conduit. The conduit is for future cables that haven't been invented yet.

For a TV in a room with surround sound, also run cables/conduit to the equipment location, and run cables for the speakers. Bury speaker cables behind drywall, but take pictures before the drywall goes up so it's easy to find them later.
It is good that you mentioned speakers. I currently have seven. My mains have acoustic couplers that can do the job of sub-woofers including earthquakes. Recommendations on the number and placement of speakers keep changing, (such) as height speakers. It gets complicated.

You can pull obsolete cables out of the conduit and replace them with what comes along.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 12-06-2018 at 01:06 PM.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-06-2018, 04:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Your contractor has it right.
the smurf tube only has a pull cable in it on house build.
The planned cables don't need it.
And you don't have to remove the old cables as they are 1) old and 2) installed and broken down and 3) a PITA to remove anyway - who cares.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page