Single source to multiple amplifiers around the house - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Single source to multiple amplifiers around the house

Hi,
Long time lurker and posted a few times as "BillJ" back in the Aughts.

I wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on what I am going to try:

Take the left and right surround speaker outputs from my Denon receiver which will be operating in Multi-channel Stereo mode,
and distribute that signal in a parallel manner to 3 additional amplifiers (receivers) in different rooms. I was going to run something like 12/4 cable for the Denon to surround speakers, while tapping off of that connection in 3 places using speaker level to line level converters
(Metra IBLOC01 40W High To Low Adapter with Female RCA from Parts Express), and make the connection to an input on the additional receivers in other rooms.

I am figuring that if I take an 8 ohm speaker load and put it in parallel with 3 high impedance loads such as the additional receivers' line level inputs, the Denon source will not see any impedance problems. Say 8 ohms in parallel with three 10K ohm inputs presents 7.98 ohms to the receiver's output stage. I haven't seen a spec for the impedance presented by the Metra speaker-to-line level converters but I assume it has to be much higher than 8 ohms.

This way I run one set of cables that feed the surround speakers and the three additional amps, instead of distributing line level signals which would require another set of cables to be run.

Any thoughts? Many thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 91
So, you are trying to use the Denon and it's connected sources to feed additional stereo room, each with their own amplifier?
Will there be a way to control the volume in each room? Volume for each room's amplifier?

Just for kicks, why not just put another Denon in each room and use HEOS to control all of them?
post #3 of 7 Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, I'm just using existing 2-channel receivers in each location, so the volume will be controlled by each receiver's volume control in addition to it being controlled by the main Denon receiver. So the Denon will be the pre-amp for each receiver. Because I'm cheap and already have these receivers in place, I'd rather do it this way than HEOS or Sonos or other ways. I have been curious about HEOS though. Also, I've got some wireless weirdness at this house due to thick walls and the layout, even with a couple of D-Link wifi extenders. So I'd rather not rely on wireless for this. Just want synchronized music at each location. My Denon is not HEOS-enabled, so I'd be looking at more upgrades. I just added a new Hsu ULS-15 Mk2 sub to the mix so I'm gonna hold off on more upgrades for now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-11-2018, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If you’re having spotty WiFi, maybe a mesh system would work well?
Extenders work on a different principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 7 Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM

Following as i'm interested in doing a similar application
post #6 of 7 Old 12-14-2018, 05:33 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 8
2 options,

1- Rolls DA134 4 Way RCA Distribution Amplifier
https://www.amazon.com/Rolls-DA134-4.../dp/B00BYNGUME

2- Monoprice Toslink S/PDIF 1x4 Splitter

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...EaAkZyEALw_wcB

S/PDIF (Toslink) Digital Optical Audio Cable
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...gaAijxEALw_wcB

I'm using the Toslink/sdif splitter now with 3 of my RPi3 Touchscreen's.

post #7 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon2915 View Post
If you’re having spotty WiFi, maybe a mesh system would work well?
Extenders work on a different principle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just want to finally report back that I ran the one pair of 12-gauge speaker wire (actually mostly outdoor low voltage cable) around the
outside of the house, and tapped it in 3 places with the aforementioned IBLOC01 high-to-low converters going to 3 additional 2-channel receivers before finally connecting that same wire set to my surround speakers in the main area, and it works great. I set the Denon main receiver to Multi-channel Stereo mode and set the surround speakers to Large so that I get full-range in each location.

Having said all that, I did also upgrade the main receiver to a Denon AVR-S640H to get some additional function such as CEC on my AV receiver inputs for additional ease of wife usage. Have to say, the HEOS app and integration of many different music sources that I use, i.e., Pandora, Amazon, SiriusXM, playlists on my Foobar2000 DLNA music server, is quite cool and capable. No need to switch to other inputs like Firestick or Roku or my HTPC in order to play any and all of them from the app.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page