WHA, Amps, matrix, Streaming, Etc. - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 12Likes

post #91 of 98 Old 01-25-2019, 05:02 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post

It’s like a dealer quoting Ubiquiti gear - they will probably do Luxul or some other CI brand because that is their profit margin.
I don't want to wade into the switch vs distributed approach again, but I do think it's important for the OP and others to understand this point. Many CI's are not going to spec the best tech for the job, particularly if it's available at retail like Ubiquiti, Chromecasts, Sonos, etc.. because they don't make profit on the hardware sale.

I have had friends who were bid Luxul gear which is broadly inferior to Ubiquiti and others because of this issue, and I always advise them to insist on different solutions. If they really wanted best of breed, they could spec Aruba or Ruckus enterprise gear, which they can still make money on but are at least top of the line from a performance POV. Anytime I hear the word Luxul, I suspect people are being speced inferior tech.

I wish CI's would just pick best gear and not try and make money on the hardware sale, but charge for their time and skill. That would end up with better implementations and people understanding the value they getting.

best, game
mike
I agree. Which is why as a home owner i did my research. Some gear I took my CI advice and others I went on my own. He was cool with it but said I’m on my own if my hardware choices act up and I signed off on it. Fair trade off in my opinion
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 98 Old 01-25-2019, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
I don't want to wade into the switch vs distributed approach again, but I do think it's important for the OP and others to understand this point. Many CI's are not going to spec the best tech for the job, particularly if it's available at retail like Ubiquiti, Chromecasts, Sonos, etc.. because they don't make profit on the hardware sale.

I have had friends who were bid Luxul gear which is broadly inferior to Ubiquiti and others because of this issue, and I always advise them to insist on different solutions. If they really wanted best of breed, they could spec Aruba or Ruckus enterprise gear, which they can still make money on but are at least top of the line from a performance POV. Anytime I hear the word Luxul, I suspect people are being speced inferior tech.

I wish CI's would just pick best gear and not try and make money on the hardware sale, but charge for their time and skill. That would end up with better implementations and people understanding the value they getting.

best,
mike
Many dealers I know, including myself, offer Ubiquiti as an option. I've dealt with Luxul in the past, which I never had many problems with, and while I wouldn't call it broadly inferior to Ubiquiti we did stop using it as an option for consumers. While the margins are not good on Ubiquiti hardware, it's somewhat made up for with the labor involved in setting up that hardware.
post #93 of 98 Old 01-25-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
Many dealers I know, including myself, offer Ubiquiti as an option. I've dealt with Luxul in the past, which I never had many problems with, and while I wouldn't call it broadly inferior to Ubiquiti we did stop using it as an option for consumers. While the margins are not good on Ubiquiti hardware, it's somewhat made up for with the labor involved in setting up that hardware.

Really? Did you do a cloudkey and a USG? It's not that hard to set up, esp with an all ubiquiti environment. I personally prefer pfsense because of the additional features it provides, but for most homes a USG would be more than capable enough, and very easy to configure and set up. And also allows you to access it remotely and change configs etc..

The luxul stuff I have looked at has been much more expensive for the same function compared with equivalent ubiquiti hardware. I was amused that one of their key features is being able to get units with ports on the back instead of the front so it "looks nicer" in the rack. It does tell you a lot about their customer base I suppose.

thanks,
mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 98 Old 01-25-2019, 08:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
Its not a sales pitch - i gave 3 Pros of JAP over VS.
It sure reads like it.

Quote:
I said there are cost effective ways to do it to bring to the masses - masses does not mean 100 million Americans. It means that if people need it they can go DIY. Ive said numerous times it has unique applications and not everyone wants, needs or know of one.
Even if it's a few million, they don't want or need the solution that you're proposing in the first place. You've got a cool bunch of tech that's a solution in search of a problem.

Quote:
I agree with your sentiment 100%, but there may be other reasons for CIs picking something like Luxul. They may be looking at the ease of installation and management on their end, and how that impacts their efficiency installing and configuring the stuff and the average customer experience for less tech savvy customers who are more concerned about installation and support than raw throughput and features. I'm not doubting that Ubiquti gear is superior to Luxul from a networking perspective, but that may not be the whole picture from their perspective.
post #95 of 98 Old 01-26-2019, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Really? Did you do a cloudkey and a USG? It's not that hard to set up, esp with an all ubiquiti environment. I personally prefer pfsense because of the additional features it provides, but for most homes a USG would be more than capable enough, and very easy to configure and set up. And also allows you to access it remotely and change configs etc..

The luxul stuff I have looked at has been much more expensive for the same function compared with equivalent ubiquiti hardware. I was amused that one of their key features is being able to get units with ports on the back instead of the front so it "looks nicer" in the rack. It does tell you a lot about their customer base I suppose.

thanks,
mike
I use AWS for Unifi with the AP's, but use Edge Routers.
post #96 of 98 Old 07-17-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Not to bring up an old thread and begin the discussion of the last few pages.......

BUT. I have all the chromecasts and the crestron amps running smoothly. google home, I'm able to make as many groups as I want through the 13 zones i have. Spotify plays all our music and we pick what speakers it goes through. The Yamaha amp powers the speakers 5.1 speakers in the family room, and we just have to tune it on or off to stream along with the spotify stream.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo here's the kicker.

What I'm now looking for is a HdbaseT extender with ARC capabilities. Or I think I am? I want to take the audio channel from the TV and run it to the Yamaha amp to put it to the 5.1 speakers. There was an extender on amazon the other day, but now it's gone. Is this no longer the preferred solution for pulling audio from TV and feeding it to remote amplifier?

Any suggestions?
post #97 of 98 Old 07-18-2019, 01:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul DiFrank View Post
Not to bring up an old thread and begin the discussion of the last few pages.......

BUT. I have all the chromecasts and the crestron amps running smoothly. google home, I'm able to make as many groups as I want through the 13 zones i have. Spotify plays all our music and we pick what speakers it goes through. The Yamaha amp powers the speakers 5.1 speakers in the family room, and we just have to tune it on or off to stream along with the spotify stream.

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo here's the kicker.

What I'm now looking for is a HdbaseT extender with ARC capabilities. Or I think I am? I want to take the audio channel from the TV and run it to the Yamaha amp to put it to the 5.1 speakers. There was an extender on amazon the other day, but now it's gone. Is this no longer the preferred solution for pulling audio from TV and feeding it to remote amplifier?

Any suggestions?
So, let me understand what you are trying to do. You have a TV with some local HDMI source that drives it, or you have the TV itself running an app that displays the context you want. You want to take that audio (presumably 5.1?) back to the Yamaha receiver for driving the audio back in the room the TV is in? Do I have that right?

There a few ways of doing this. HDMI ARC, with CEC, would be pretty clean, and provide local control of your sound if the CEC is working properly. What kind of TV is it? You may want to solicit on other forums to see if people have that combination working. A generic HDMI extender should work here. ARC is nothing special, and doesn't push a lot of bits over the HDMI. It's just the equivalent of SDPIF digital audio. This monoprice unit should work: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15778 and there are tons of these on amazon to pick from. I'd get one that pushes 4K at 18GBPS, even though you are just putting audio over it. The reason is that HDMI can be fussy about negotiating capability, and if you have a 4K, but a 1080p capable ARC device, there is a chance the TV could downgrade to 1080p to it's sources. That probably won't happen, but HDMI is a finicky beat, so if it's a 4K TV, stick with a 4K extender.

If you get one with IR IN/OUT, you could use that as a backup to the volume control not working in your combination using HDMI CEC if you use a harmony or the like at your TV.

The other way to do it is to take a SPDIF connection from your TV and use a TOSLINK balun to send that over the CAT5 connection. But since there is no CEC, you have to get one with IR to send to the receiver to control the volume.

So I think you are better off going with the first approach assuming my understanding of what you are trying to do is correct.

thanks,
mike
post #98 of 98 Old 07-23-2019, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Mike,

Yes that's what I'm trying to do. I have the TV just doing OTA, netflix, fire stick, etc. I was under the impression, when I was doing this last year, that HdbaseT extender with ARC is what would do the job pretty simply.

When I go to look for an extender with ARC, I'm not finding anything. The link you sent is an extender but in the specs it doesn't support ARC. I've only found maybe 1 on amazon, but it's not in stock.

Is there maybe something else that it's going under now? Or what's the deal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page