Elan System Controller in New Build - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 01-08-2019, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Elan System Controller in New Build

I'm a home builder and we just completed a house for a client except for whole home AV distribution.

The owner purchased an Elan smart controller but is looking for the most cost effective way to add whole audio that he can control through the Elan touch screen keypads.

All the rough-in wiring is in place and ready for the equipment.

My original though was to use a multi-zone amp and a few Sonos Connects but I'm not sure how the Elan system communicates with the Sonos.

The house has 17 zones and owner would like a keypad in each zone. Can you please recommend systems other than the Elan amps that would work with the Elan controller? or how would you pros handle a system like this?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-08-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The owner had to purchase the Elan system through an authorized Elan dealer. They should be involved in the system design and implementation of a whole house audio system.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #3 of 18 Old 01-08-2019, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

You're right but as it happens on alot of projects there is more money available early on then later in projects. This is why he is looking for an alternative budget option.

As he is a client I'm trying to help him where I can.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 06:24 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlboro64 View Post
You're right but as it happens on alot of projects there is more money available early on then later in projects. This is why he is looking for an alternative budget option.

no real cheap ways to do 17 zones of audio. Are they planning on video distribution too? If so you want a system that is in sync together.

how many different audio streams will they require at one time? 2? 10? you may have 17 zones but does not mean you need 17 unique streams
post #5 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 06:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
no real cheap ways to do 17 zones of audio. Are they planning on video distribution too? If so you want a system that is in sync together.

how many different audio streams will they require at one time? 2? 10? you may have 17 zones but does not mean you need 17 unique streams
Sources would be a max of 6. Video is an option for three of the zones.

post #6 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
video distribution for 3 zones? may not be worth the investment
for instance - i have no TV in my kitchen. but i can play the audio from a cable box feed in the speakers in my kitchen. and outdoors on my patio. and my dining room. comes in handy when i have people over for sporting events and want sound in all rooms. and its all in sync. i could put the radio broadcast on those speakers in say the kitchen but it will not be in sync with the TV feed.

designing an AV system isnt easy. really have to know what your customer's expectations are and to see if the design can deliver. its good to see you trying to help a customer in a pinch. thats great. you could go to the sonos route but 17 sonos connect amps are expensive! even 6 sonos connects into dumb amps then you need a matrix switch and you are back to using Elan

if wiring was not in place I'd say buy 17 sonos speakers and call it a day, put one in each location.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 07:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

As Ez mentioned, there isn't a cheap way to do 17 zones which all tie into the Elan keypads.

Do your clients want the ability to be able to have multiple independent zones of audio? By that I mean do they want to be able to stream one Spotify playlist in 1 or more zones and a Pandora playlist in another zone all at the same time? If so they need to determine if they would like Sonos Connect on each zone for a total of 17, which can become really expensive. Or do they only X number of independent zones with how ever many Sonos Connects they would like and in addition to that one Sonos Connect connected to the bus input on an amp for playback on all zones.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #8 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Sources would be a max of 6. Video is an option for three of the zones.

6 Sonos Connects gets pretty expensive. If your clients aren't wed to the idea of having control of the audio through the Elan wall pads, their options for multi-zone audio expand greatly.

XBL: Stunt1on1
post #9 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
6 Sonos Connects gets pretty expensive. If your clients aren't wed to the idea of having control of the audio through the Elan wall pads, their options for multi-zone audio expand greatly.
Being able to control audio through the touchpads is a must have for them. Within each individual room they are open.

They would like some sort of control in each room.

The I say cheaper option I'm just mean cheaper then having a multi zone amp from Elan.

For now my recommendation in the zones that require less power was to use a Connect Amp.

post #10 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahard View Post
As Ez mentioned, there isn't a cheap way to do 17 zones which all tie into the Elan keypads.

Do your clients want the ability to be able to have multiple independent zones of audio? By that I mean do they want to be able to stream one Spotify playlist in 1 or more zones and a Pandora playlist in another zone all at the same time? If so they need to determine if they would like Sonos Connect on each zone for a total of 17, which can become really expensive. Or do they only X number of independent zones with how ever many Sonos Connects they would like and in addition to that one Sonos Connect connected to the bus input on an amp for playback on all zones.
Combining zones is an option ... When I get home tonight I'll write down all the zones so you guys can see.

post #11 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Hard to say what they should do without knowing how much they are willing to spend? Are the touchpanels already installed?
post #12 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

No touch panels yet .. only thing purchased is the Elan Controller.

I thought about recommending a system like Lync from HTD but don't know how it will work with the Elan

post #13 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 05:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

So what's the budget for this? There's lots of ways to do this cheap using used stuff on Ebay. The question is if their dealer would be willing to make that stuff work on T&M

How many and how much are they spending on in-wall controllers? I would skip a few touchpanels if it meant not skimping on the audio distribution.

I'm sure the Lync would work. It has an rs232 port so it can be controlled. It's also $2600, which is only 1k less than the Elan 1616 matrix so why bother at that point?
post #14 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

The 1616 is just an amplifier correct? They would still need something separate for sources?

Some of the rooms have four speakers. I will find the zone breakdown that lists the speakers and each zone so you guys can see.

post #15 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Here it is .. you can ignore the column on the right as that is the TV audio systems and also the theater which has its own Atmos receiver.

post #16 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 09:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
The 1616 is a matrix and an amp. Depends on how it's setup.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #17 of 18 Old 01-09-2019, 10:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Are these zones going to be mono or stereo? How are the speakers wired? Parallel, series, combination of both? I see a lot of amp channels needed depending on wiring and impedance matching involved. What model speakers are in use here? Doing some of these zones at 70v wouldn't even be out of the question.

Am I reading that right? 48 speakers total in the theater? Is that 12 speakers @4 ohms each, or 12 speakers totaling 4 ohms? I'm assuming original quote spec'd a few of the Elan 1616s?

It's hard to help when you won't say what the budget is for this. What's the dealer's options for going cheaper? None of this is even close to rocket science, but if this isn't your wheelhouse I would suggest not being the one driving the clown car when it hits the wall
post #18 of 18 Old 01-10-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It really depends what Elan controller you have... g1 or sc? You should use Heos (series 2) as sources, they have the best control and reliability with Elan. In regards to audio matrix, with SC Elan controllers you can use 3rd party matrix's... There are many serial base ones on ebay that will work. I use a 20 year old Cav6.6 and it works perfect. On the other had if you have a g1, you must use a Elan based audio matrix.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page