Is the HDMI matrix obsolete ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old 01-09-2019, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Is the HDMI matrix obsolete ?

Is there a role for HDMI matrix for AV distribution for residential application these days ?

Almost all cable boxes now are networked or over MoCa and therefore interconnected (pause in one room, resume in another, central PVR). And Apple TV 4K’s also tied together of using a shared Apple ID. And both boxes are tiny , easily hid behind a TV.

Add HDMI audio de-embed and route your audio to a rack to distribute over your speakers.

Why a matrix ? The added costs far outweigh buying a separate device for each TV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 01-10-2019, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
Is there a role for HDMI matrix for AV distribution for residential application these days ?

Almost all cable boxes now are networked or over MoCa and therefore interconnected (pause in one room, resume in another, central PVR). And Apple TV 4K’s also tied together of using a shared Apple ID. And both boxes are tiny , easily hid behind a TV.

Add HDMI audio de-embed and route your audio to a rack to distribute over your speakers.

Why a matrix ? The added costs far outweigh buying a separate device for each TV.

For me its a few things:
1) Ability to sync sources across multiple TVs
2) upkeep - If you have 10 TV's and 10 Apple TV's or Rokus or AFT behind each one, or an instance of Kodi behind each one, any time you make a change to a file path, change a password on an app you access, blah blah - you have to go update 10+ boxes. Put 2-3 boxes behind each TV and it adds up.
3) some installs are very narrow in space and do not allow boxes to easily be installed behind the TV
4) you have more complex audio set ups and you want to distribute video audio to audio only spaces and/or want to not have an AVR local but still have surround sound and again share sources

Then there are fun things like working with IP Cameras, PiP across sources, splashtiles from Video Storm, etc.

It is certainly not required - but there are designs and budgets where it makes sense.
Postmoderndesign likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old 01-10-2019, 08:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
For me its a few things:
1) Ability to sync sources across multiple TVs
2) upkeep - If you have 10 TV's and 10 Apple TV's or Rokus or AFT behind each one, or an instance of Kodi behind each one, any time you make a change to a file path, change a password on an app you access, blah blah - you have to go update 10+ boxes. Put 2-3 boxes behind each TV and it adds up.
3) some installs are very narrow in space and do not allow boxes to easily be installed behind the TV
4) you have more complex audio set ups and you want to distribute video audio to audio only spaces and/or want to not have an AVR local but still have surround sound and again share sources

Then there are fun things like working with IP Cameras, PiP across sources, splashtiles from Video Storm, etc.

It is certainly not required - but there are designs and budgets where it makes sense.
Simplicity of maintenance as well, becuase who really wants a dozen Apple TV's or Rokus to maintain, especially if there's only 3 or 4 people in the house? Not to mention if you're an owner of a system like Kaleidescape and can't afford to put a player at each TV.

IMO, there is still a threshold at which distribution makes perfect sense.
Postmoderndesign likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
Simplicity of maintenance as well, becuase who really wants a dozen Apple TV's or Rokus to maintain, especially if there's only 3 or 4 people in the house? Not to mention if you're an owner of a system like Kaleidescape and can't afford to put a player at each TV.

IMO, there is still a threshold at which distribution makes perfect sense.
I disagree with you. The apple TV, Android TV etc... devices are cloud updated, and not like PC's where you have to a lot of manual work to keep them in shape. And even if you don't like the idea, the TV's are now all embedding streamer functionality in them anyway. Android TV in Sony and others, Tizen in Samsung, Vizio with android TV and chromecast.

Also, it's lot easier to push a gigabit of network connectivity to a TV or a box plugged into the TV than 18 or 48 Gbps HDMI. and with bluetooth and RF remotes becoming the norm for control because of all the voice assistant functionality being built in, you need that box proximate to the user, not locked up in a rack far away.

That was the big news at CES this week - voice assistance from Google, Amazon and not Apple with airplay2 support being built into all the new TV's. You can't use the assistant functionality with IR remotes that are easily backhauled to a central source. And all the streaming boxes are now using bluetooth remotes as well.

The future is not ecentralized distribution anymore, and that means HDMI switching is going away.

And yes, the 5 people in the US who have kaleidescape boxes will need them, but millions else who can get that same functionality with Plex, etc.. will not need them.

Thanks,
Mike
post #5 of 31 Old 01-11-2019, 12:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post
I disagree with you. The apple TV, Android TV etc... devices are cloud updated, and not like PC's where you have to a lot of manual work to keep them in shape. And even if you don't like the idea, the TV's are now all embedding streamer functionality in them anyway. Android TV in Sony and others, Tizen in Samsung, Vizio with android TV and chromecast.

Also, it's lot easier to push a gigabit of network connectivity to a TV or a box plugged into the TV than 18 or 48 Gbps HDMI. and with bluetooth and RF remotes becoming the norm for control because of all the voice assistant functionality being built in, you need that box proximate to the user, not locked up in a rack far away.

That was the big news at CES this week - voice assistance from Google, Amazon and not Apple with airplay2 support being built into all the new TV's. You can't use the assistant functionality with IR remotes that are easily backhauled to a central source. And all the streaming boxes are now using bluetooth remotes as well.

The future is not ecentralized distribution anymore, and that means HDMI switching is going away.

And yes, the 5 people in the US who have kaleidescape boxes will need them, but millions else who can get that same functionality with Plex, etc.. will not need them.

Thanks,
Mike
updates such as changing a file path for sharing your personal content on Kodi. what about adding an app on 1 box then you sit at another tv wanting to watch that app and its not there, so you need to wait to download the app, then remember the password. what if your kid resets the password to an app for some reason, then you need to go figure it out. i dont think we are talking about OS updates.

From your posts you are very pro google products and that is fine. I would not tie up my phone/tablet to do Aircast or Airplay or whatever to watch a 2 hour movie. Everything is hardwired when it comes to video media content. My streaming boxes are hard wired - I do not want to do wireless video. to each his/her own.

The OP did not ask how to use google to do video control - the OP asked if a matrix is obsolete and a few of us gave use cases that clearly demonstrate a need. Just like in a previous thread you skip over the ability to sync audio feeds from video sources to audio zones, something people want in a mid to large size house. It is a big reason why there is still video matrix. Right now I am under construction living at my mother in law's house, and she has 2 rooms near each other with a TV and lots of time the same program is on each TV and you can hear the delay and it makes my ears want to bleed. good luck streaming content to several tv's and have it all in sync not to mention extracting audio for audio only zones.

oh and no one said HDMI switching. I have a IP Video Matrix and those are the more popular formats moving forward. The days of fixed AxB matrix are getting a little long in the tooth, not because of the underlying tech, but due to the cost to upgrade. IP makes it easier/more modular to add as you grow.
post #6 of 31 Old 01-11-2019, 10:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSM View Post

Thanks,
Mike
I've only have 8 TV's in my own home, and only 4 people using one of those TV's at any given time. So the last thing I wanted to do is stick 8 Roku's/Apple TV's/Comcast Boxes/etc. behind each TV. I have zero content that requires [email protected] so I don't need 18Gbps throughput to each TV. I don't want multiple remotes to deal with. I don't want multiple apps on my phone to deal with. And I certainly don't want to constantly talk to a device to watch TV, change channels, change volume, etc. So for me it was a simple and logical choice. Simple video distribution from a centralize location to handle 4 Comcast cable boxes, a single Roku, an Oppo and an Antenna DVR, all controlled with a centralized automation system.

However, if someone comes to me and they say they've only got a few TV's, and they're the only one watching content, then by all means I would not suggest a distribution method for them. As there is a cost benefit threshold for video distribution and they are not going to hit that threshold in such a setting.

And yes, millions can rip/download content and use a Plex with a home-brewed server, but the functionality is not the same nor is the quality, barring those that don't re-encode their rips. There is very little comparison between a Kaleidescape system and any other home-brewed system out there, and most average users don't have the time or knowledge to properly setup and maintain home-brewed systems like that.

Quote:
updates such as changing a file path for sharing your personal content on Kodi. what about adding an app on 1 box then you sit at another tv wanting to watch that app and its not there, so you need to wait to download the app, then remember the password. what if your kid resets the password to an app for some reason, then you need to go figure it out. i dont think we are talking about OS updates.
I started building HTPC's back when WMC was released in 2002, and continued to build and maintain a variety of systems since. Wrote custom programs to fill my needs, built media server after media server (still have the same UnRaid box running that houses all our family photos and videos), tried out practically every PC based DVR product from my first Hauppauge tuner (bought in '97) to my MyHD-120 Tuner (the BEST ASTC tuner that ever existed, and RIP Cliff Watson) to my SiliconDust Prime that is still running, installed and configured Kodi more times than I care to remember (still have a Raspberry Pi Kodi in my office running), and on and on and on.... After 17+ years of all of this I realized something... I'm too old for this ****. Maintaining all of that... while keeping the wife and family happy, was more trouble than it was worth. Anymore I just want simplicity and zero hassle.
post #7 of 31 Old 01-12-2019, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked: 345
'Is the HDMI matrix obsolete ?' - Not if you look past Residential.

'Is there a role for HDMI matrix for AV distribution for residential application these days ?' - there is but it's 'time up' cannot be too far away. A Smart TV plus a Soundbar and possibly an External Media Streamer in each Zone is now the norm for many and Kids/Teens using Tablets to view content rather than a TV all means less need to 'distribute'.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #8 of 31 Old 01-14-2019, 08:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'Is the HDMI matrix obsolete ?' - Not if you look past Residential.

'Is there a role for HDMI matrix for AV distribution for residential application these days ?' - there is but it's 'time up' cannot be too far away. A Smart TV plus a Soundbar and possibly an External Media Streamer in each Zone is now the norm for many and Kids/Teens using Tablets to view content rather than a TV all means less need to 'distribute'.

Joe
One of the big take away's I got from CEDIA this year is the impact the younger generations are going to have on the market with their habits and use of smart phones. As more and more people are getting their media on mobile devices, even bypassing TV's and opting for the phone or pad.
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #9 of 31 Old 01-14-2019, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
One of the big take away's I got from CEDIA this year is the impact the younger generations are going to have on the market with their habits and use of smart phones. As more and more people are getting their media on mobile devices, even bypassing TV's and opting for the phone or pad.
+1 That was clear at CES as well. Decode and playback is moving to the edge, even off the edge and onto a tablet or phone. Advertisers crave that younger market segment and that's motivating content guys to enable more of those experiences.

It also really simplifies control - no IR remote needed, no special apps to control the switching and volume, etc... It runs on the streaming box or the TV directly, which a nice BT remote that supports voice input, or direct from a phone. And makes the wiring a lot easier, including the ability to stream all via WiFi.

I think it's clear that HDMI switching is going to be a very narrow category residentially.

mike
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #10 of 31 Old 01-16-2019, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
The matrix is alive and well as it always has been in the commercial market, which just dwarfs the residential market for these types of applications.

For residential market, I don't see why there hasn't been more of a push towards IP use in the home for distribution and getting it all built in. I wonder if that will ever be the case. Obviously, cable boxes are doing it with 'start a movie here, finish it there' mentality, but why do we need separate boxes for that? Plug a single box into your home, name it, then access it from any TV in your home. Have it auto-detected across the network as a source, and have it appear on the source list for the TV automatically. Press source, and get a page of all the home's connected A/V sources to choose from without any local sources being necessary.

Voice control doesn't have to be eliminated if devices are properly integrated, it just won't need the limited capabilities of Bluetooth to get there. Or, may just need a connected 'hub' in each room with a Bluetooth universal remote to go with it. All interconnected and properly integrated. So, you get a 'brand-x' Bluetooth universal remote. Pair it to your 'Alexa' connected in-room device. The remote connects to your home's wi-fi and it is tagged to the same room that the TV is in. Now, the remote controls the TV and all the sources for the TV, Harmony Style programming. Voice functionality still works through a pairing of the source and your home's Amazon device. Things flow back towards more of a standards based system instead of every device being entirely proprietary.

Of course, half won't work with Google and the other half won't work with Alexa, so we are back at square one.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 31 Old 01-17-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
For residential market, I don't see why there hasn't been more of a push towards IP use in the home for distribution and getting it all built in. I wonder if that will ever be the case. Obviously, cable boxes are doing it with 'start a movie here, finish it there' mentality, but why do we need separate boxes for that? Plug a single box into your home, name it, then access it from any TV in your home. Have it auto-detected across the network as a source, and have it appear on the source list for the TV automatically. Press source, and get a page of all the home's connected A/V sources to choose from without any local sources being necessary.
It makes me wonder how the market would have been today if the FCC had forced cable companies to maintain clear QAM on their basic packages, and not allowed them to encrypt it, requiring a DTA or DVR at each location. I can't stand the notion of users having boxes at each TV, but I understand for most there is no other option.

I don't know if it's bull****, but I had a client tell me that he was told by a Direct TV rep, that Direct TV was going to start going after users that were (as he put it) "sharing" boxes across multiple TV's.
post #12 of 31 Old 01-18-2019, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter

So at this stage there does seem to be a role for HDMI distribution matrix in certain use cases. Such as multiple TVs on an open floor (ex open concept house) where you want perfect synchronization. And it certainly makes it easier to de-embed audio to external speakers.

My question is - when are we going to see HDMI 2.1 capable distribution matrices? Surprised they aren’t out already , especially considering many AVRs now support this standard. I don’t think the HDBaseT consortium has even talked about a new spec to support HDMI 2.1 yet !

I wonder if the required bandwidth of 48Gbps will work over Cat6a/ Cat7a or if this will now finally mandate fiber ?

post #13 of 31 Old 01-19-2019, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
So at this stage there does seem to be a role for HDMI distribution matrix in certain use cases. Such as multiple TVs on an open floor (ex open concept house) where you want perfect synchronization. And it certainly makes it easier to de-embed audio to external speakers.

My question is - when are we going to see HDMI 2.1 capable distribution matrices? Surprised they aren’t out already , especially considering many AVRs now support this standard. I don’t think the HDBaseT consortium has even talked about a new spec to support HDMI 2.1 yet !

I wonder if the required bandwidth of 48Gbps will work over Cat6a/ Cat7a or if this will now finally mandate fiber ?

Someone will need to figure out how to stuff 48 GBPS down a 10 GBPS category cable without compression artifacts. Or there must be an Ultra High Speed HDMI cable with ethernet for audio longer than 3 meters that will work. And yes 48 GBPS can travel on fiber but all the equipment in the chain, source, sink, switches, etc must be fiber compatible and capable of 48 GBPS. Then it will neeed to work without HDCP, content protection kicking in and blocking the whole setup. No one can tell you when this will happen especially at a reasonable price.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 01-19-2019 at 08:01 AM.
post #14 of 31 Old 01-19-2019, 07:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 36
I have a projector and a television in the same room.

I have 1 Blu Ray Player, 1 Cable box/DVR, 1 Amazon FireTV box.

I have a Monoprice 4 x 2 HDMI Matrix.

The television isn't a smart tv.

This is the simplest way to do it, right?
post #15 of 31 Old 01-19-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
It makes me wonder how the market would have been today if the FCC had forced cable companies to maintain clear QAM on their basic packages, and not allowed them to encrypt it, requiring a DTA or DVR at each location. I can't stand the notion of users having boxes at each TV, but I understand for most there is no other option.
Playstation Vue, YouTube TV, etc. - if they're apps built into the TV, cable boxes are no longer necessary. I think even DirectTV has one now? Yeah, they're not at feature parity with Cable boxes, but I can imagine that's only a matter of time.
post #16 of 31 Old 01-20-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

'My question is - when are we going to see HDMI 2.1 capable distribution matrices?' - remember to talk about Features rather than HDMI Version numbers.

Most of the New Features would require every device attached to the Matrix supports those Features and building a Matrix to support 48Gbps when possibly only one room in the house will have that capability adds a lot of unnecessary cost to all of the other Zones.

The 'big' area for development at present amongst HDMI Matrix manufacturers is audio management using a second chassis!

HD over IP here in the UK was hampered as an option to HBDT by a lot of the encoders not properly supporting 50Hz and converting everything to 60Hz - which was 'acceptable' for the Pub, Club and Corporate market but not so for Residential.

Joe

post #17 of 31 Old 01-26-2019, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
Isn't that easily solvable with mySQL on Kodi? With Plex it's even easier. The Apple TVs do have a function to keep apps in sync between all Apple TVs in the house. So you download an app on one Apple TV, and it appears on all your other Apple TVs (and the homescreen layout syncs as well). I've been thinking about this A/V distribution for a while, and I feel devices like the Apple TV mostly obviate the need. Much simpler and cheaper to just distribute CAT cables around the house. I do really like the idea of syncing playback across multiple displays though. If Apple could somehow accomplish that, that would be awesome. I guess it may be possible with Airplay 2, but I'm guessing there are still some limitations with regards to video playback.

If only the Apple TV 4K let you play Atmos/DTS:X from rips, it would be the perfect distributed media player IMO.
post #18 of 31 Old 01-26-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockdown571 View Post
Isn't that easily solvable with mySQL on Kodi? With Plex it's even easier. The Apple TVs do have a function to keep apps in sync between all Apple TVs in the house. So you download an app on one Apple TV, and it appears on all your other Apple TVs (and the homescreen layout syncs as well). I've been thinking about this A/V distribution for a while, and I feel devices like the Apple TV mostly obviate the need. Much simpler and cheaper to just distribute CAT cables around the house. I do really like the idea of syncing playback across multiple displays though. If Apple could somehow accomplish that, that would be awesome. I guess it may be possible with Airplay 2, but I'm guessing there are still some limitations with regards to video playback.

If only the Apple TV 4K let you play Atmos/DTS:X from rips, it would be the perfect distributed media player IMO.
The Shields do a pretty good job here with the right application code. But your point is totally valid. It's a lot easier pushing <100 Mbps video streams around than 18 or 48 Gbps HDMI streams on CATx cabling. And this can even work with WiFi networks in the home, making this the high volume architecture for modern distribution.

And you can use bluetooth remotes with voice recognition mics in them instead of having to push IR around to a central hub. Some TV's might have BR decks nearby on a different input, or game consoles, but those typically need to be near the display physcially to work. Though with cloud gaming and ripping BR media becoming easier, maybe even those local devices get replaced too.

Sure, some of this is built into TV's. But I prefer having a separate box that can fit behind the TV on the wall. I can replace this box with a new box every couple years to keep up with playback and UI improvements, and I don't need/want to do that to the display itself. Displays and media playback boxes have very different lifetimes, so I don't see the advantage of coupling them. If that works for people, great, but I don't expect that to stay the best option as the years go by.

thanks,
mike
post #19 of 31 Old 01-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

no idea about mySQL on Kodi. all i know is SQL is querying languages for databases and I do not know the programming language. maybe its a simple UI. But I used to have 5-6 streaming boxes and keeping all the links, urls, files, etc all updated was a headache.
post #20 of 31 Old 01-28-2019, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 353
Quote:
no idea about mySQL on Kodi. all i know is SQL is querying languages for databases and I do not know the programming language. maybe its a simple UI. But I used to have 5-6 streaming boxes and keeping all the links, urls, files, etc all updated was a headache.
Yeah I used to use mysql on Kodi years ago. It wasn't too complicated, just had to follow a guide. No knowledge of programming needed. Plex is even easier though, and there are multiple Plex plugins for Kodi now.
post #21 of 31 Old 02-12-2019, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thought I would update this thread as AV over IP technology keeps advancing.

Crestron just announced (at ISE 2019) their NVX E30 and D30 (encoder and decoder) with PixelPerfect technology. Apparently price 1/3 less, and will transmit 4K/60 signal over 1GB Ethernet completely lossless and without latency. Apparently identical picture quality to the much pricier solutions that need 10GB Ethernet and switches.

Any comments ? Will this replace the HDMI matrix ?

post #22 of 31 Old 02-13-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:

That is supported today in myServer. We have ability from a common browser user interface to choose which movie to play and where to play it (which zone) that might be using Kodi (or Plex, or several other) rendering applications.
The user doesn't need to know "mySQL" because all the coding is done already.
post #23 of 31 Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:

oh and no one said HDMI switching. I have a IP Video Matrix and those are the more popular formats moving forward. The days of fixed AxB matrix are getting a little long in the tooth, not because of the underlying tech, but due to the cost to upgrade. IP makes it easier/more modular to add as you grow.
The very first sentence of the very first post specifically says HDMI matrix. I agree with what you say, but the OP was asking about HDMI matrix.

Sharp LC-80LE844U | Marantz BD8002 | Marantz AV8003 | Marsh Sound Design A400s (FL/FR) | Marantz MM7055 (C/SL/SR) | Phase Tech PC 9.1 (FL/FR) | Phase Tech PC 3.1 (C/SL/SR) | Dual PSA S1811 Subs
post #24 of 31 Old 02-14-2019, 07:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jawaburger View Post
The very first sentence of the very first post specifically says HDMI matrix. I agree with what you say, but the OP was asking about HDMI matrix.
I guess its all in the lingo. HDMI matrix can be HDBaseT technology, IP technology, etc. At least where I’ve heard it used prior, HDMI matrix is a device that will take X amount of sources (cable boxes, DVD players, streaming sticks, etc) and share them on Y sources. HDBaseT was the previous standard and they were usually fixed in AxB configurations whereas most companies are moving to IP systems to achieve the same results but they are more modular. Not sure “HDMI Matrix” excludes IP systems. I guess it just depends on someone’s usage of the term.
post #25 of 31 Old 03-29-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a question about the best way to take 6 HDMI (4K) sources and distribute those to 3 different TVs in the same room. Basement has 3 TVs and would like the ability to switch any of those 6 sources to any of the 3 TVs. Maybe even the ability to send the same single source to all three TVs.
post #26 of 31 Old 03-30-2019, 04:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5pen View Post
Have a question about the best way to take 6 HDMI (4K) sources and distribute those to 3 different TVs in the same room. Basement has 3 TVs and would like the ability to switch any of those 6 sources to any of the 3 TVs. Maybe even the ability to send the same single source to all three TVs.
Do you have a control system in place already ? Have you looked at just add power (jap)? 6 transmitters and 3 receivers. And you can scale it to whatever amount of sources and displays you get later.
How far away are the displays from the 6 sources?

JOE
post #27 of 31 Old 03-31-2019, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcjo View Post
Do you have a control system in place already ? Have you looked at just add power (jap)? 6 transmitters and 3 receivers. And you can scale it to whatever amount of sources and displays you get later.
How far away are the displays from the 6 sources?
I do not have a control system in place today. The displays will all be on a wall with the sources on a shelf within 10 feet. Redoing a family basement for teenage boys but putting 3 TVs along the back wall so they can have their friends over to watch games but also play the video games all in 4K. Set up is 49", 65", 45" Samsungs and then need D*TV (2x), Cable Box, Xbox, Playstation, and Apple TV. Would like the ability to quickly and easily switch the sources around across the 3 TVs. Since used by teenagers needs to be pretty easy and not highly technical to figure out. I came across a Monoprice Blackbird 4K 8x8 which seems like overkill but appears to be the only thing that would make it easy to switch around.

Thank you for all the help and advice.
post #28 of 31 Old 04-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim5pen View Post
I do not have a control system in place today. The displays will all be on a wall with the sources on a shelf within 10 feet. Redoing a family basement for teenage boys but putting 3 TVs along the back wall so they can have their friends over to watch games but also play the video games all in 4K. Set up is 49", 65", 45" Samsungs and then need D*TV (2x), Cable Box, Xbox, Playstation, and Apple TV. Would like the ability to quickly and easily switch the sources around across the 3 TVs. Since used by teenagers needs to be pretty easy and not highly technical to figure out. I came across a Monoprice Blackbird 4K 8x8 which seems like overkill but appears to be the only thing that would make it easy to switch around.

Thank you for all the help and advice.
I am a fan of Netplay by Video Storm. can work with or without a control system. And you can buy/set it up yourself
https://www.video-storm.com/residential.asp
post #29 of 31 Old 04-03-2019, 03:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

'Would like the ability to quickly and easily switch the sources around across the 3 TVs' - what are you doing with Audio?

TV's x3 - do they all support the same range of signal formats? (4K UHD, HDCP 2.2, HDR, DV etc)

HDMI Matrix - would work for you, though 'quick' Switching is not always as 'quick' as folk would like or require as the System has to handle HDCP and often you will find all of the Displays will 'drop' the selected Source or a Source which is being toggled To or Away from on one of the other Displays, not a big issue when setting up a viewing session but can be a pain 'mid session' if you are gaming.

Joe

post #30 of 31 Old 04-04-2019, 06:39 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'Would like the ability to quickly and easily switch the sources around across the 3 TVs' - what are you doing with Audio?

TV's x3 - do they all support the same range of signal formats? (4K UHD, HDCP 2.2, HDR, DV etc)

HDMI Matrix - would work for you, though 'quick' Switching is not always as 'quick' as folk would like or require as the System has to handle HDCP and often you will find all of the Displays will 'drop' the selected Source or a Source which is being toggled To or Away from on one of the other Displays, not a big issue when setting up a viewing session but can be a pain 'mid session' if you are gaming.

Joe
I have an 8x8 HDMI-HDBaseT matrix and can confirm that sources are NOT 'dropped' temporarily when being switched to and from.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page