Component over cat5 Balun ndom black screens - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-21-2019, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
RESOLVED - Component over cat5 Balun random black screens

I’m running component video over cat5 baluns and get random video/audio dropouts from a 720p 60hz source resulting in a black screen then the image comes back. The run is about 110ft.

Thinking I just needed a better Balun I changed out my Tripp light cat5 baluns for muxlab baluns and still get the drop ours.

The next step I took was to connect up another cat5 cable I had run. Still drop outs.

Next I moved the video output on my Extron to another known working output port on my Extron switcher and the dropouts still happen.

This same source is distributed to other TVs in the house with shorter runs and the droputs do not occur.
So either I got 3 bad cat5e cables run to that location or multiple bad baluns or some kinda interference is causing the issue.

It’s also inresrfing to note it appears that that specific source of 720p 60hz seems to trigger it more than other sources I set to 720p.

I’m wondering if skew in the car5 cables is causing the component video to lose sync at times?

I know I gave excessive skew as I can see shadow boxes around characters using my cable. I got the cable from monoprice. It’s 24awg cat6 solid copper shielded with a drain wire connected to shielded connectors.

What should I test next before replacing the cable runs.

EDIT::

I have resolved the issue. The resolution was to strengthen the specific sources hdmi output by removing a monoprice hdmi port saver at the end of a long hdmi cable run. Apparently the length of the input source coupled with the long output location caused the component video to drop out from time to time. Never knew component video could just drop out from time to time if signal strength of it degraded too much but it can.

Last edited by proudx; 02-06-2019 at 07:31 AM. Reason: resolved
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-21-2019, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I’m sorry I can’t solve your issue. I do have an Audio Authority AVM-562 with 6 receivers for sale soon. It’s perfect and fool proof. Plug and play with IR on both ends (you’d need receivers and blasters). Best component matrix ever made, but requires 2 runs of Cat5e to each receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 Old 01-22-2019, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Time for HDMI?

I know, I know... not helpful. Sorry. I just moved into my home 6 years ago and wired the entire place for component using Mini-HR cable. I liked it, but switched everything over to HDMI only 2 or 3 years later because... component is dead. I would probably try going HDMI the distance and back to VGA or component before spending to much time figuring out why you are having analog issues.

Have you tried running a cat cable across the floor to see if the issue still comes up? When I have dropout issues that's one of the first things I do.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-23-2019, 09:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Time for HDMI?

I know, I know... not helpful. Sorry. I just moved into my home 6 years ago and wired the entire place for component using Mini-HR cable. I liked it, but switched everything over to HDMI only 2 or 3 years later because... component is dead. I would probably try going HDMI the distance and back to VGA or component before spending to much time figuring out why you are having analog issues.

Have you tried running a cat cable across the floor to see if the issue still comes up? When I have dropout issues that's one of the first things I do.
no, but I suspect thats the next thing i'd have to do.
post #5 of 5 Old 02-06-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Issue Resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
no, but I suspect thats the next thing i'd have to do.
I have resolved my issue. I removed a Monoprice HDMI port saver from a long HDMI cable run from my specific source 720P source a Nintendo Classic. Apparently, strengthening the signal coming out of the source was enough to resolve the blanking remote screen at the furthest TV. Interesting that component video will just blank out from time to time if signal gets too weak, never knew that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page