Component Video Over CAT5 Baluns Ghosting/Smearing - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-06-2019, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Component Video Over CAT5 Baluns Ghosting/Smearing

I have been using Tripp Lite Component Video and stereo over single CAT5 baluns and have been experiencing ghosting so I changed out to Muxlabs 500058 Component video and stereo audio over cat5 baluns and still have the ghosting and not sure but perhaps some new smearing, especially noticeable on black backgrounds. Example text centered on a black screen or sometimes dark text on a black screen will create a trail to left and right of it extending to edge of tv. Besides moving to HDMI over CAT5 baluns or buying Canare no skew cat5 cable and having to run a new 100ft cable what other options or balun brands could I try?

I am using monoprice 24AWG solid CAT6 foil shielded cable. I suspect this cable has a lot of skew, although I see ghosting even on short 33ft runs so maybe its the nature of the baluns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post
I have been using Tripp Lite Component Video and stereo over single CAT5 baluns and have been experiencing ghosting so I changed out to Muxlabs 500058 Component video and stereo audio over cat5 baluns and still have the ghosting and not sure but perhaps some new smearing, especially noticeable on black backgrounds. Example text centered on a black screen or sometimes dark text on a black screen will create a trail to left and right of it extending to edge of tv. Besides moving to HDMI over CAT5 baluns or buying Canare no skew cat5 cable and having to run a new 100ft cable what other options or balun brands could I try?

I am using monoprice 24AWG solid CAT6 foil shielded cable. I suspect this cable has a lot of skew, although I see ghosting even on short 33ft runs so maybe its the nature of the baluns.
Dumb question, but did you properly terminate that shielded cable?
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2019, 09:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mntneer View Post
Dumb question, but did you properly terminate that shielded cable?
not a dumb question at all. I've wondered if my terminations suck and is contributing to the problem. I did test them with a CAT5 wire tester and it shows all pins connector right and ground.

I'm using MonoPrice Foil covered 24AWG solid copper CAT6 Cable - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8093

I'm using L-com shielded connectors TDS8PC6.
http://www.l-com.com/ethernet-catego...hielded-pkg-50

according to the install guide at
it recommends I pull back the foil shielding and wrap drain wire and I have done all this. I use a Klein tool crimper. it is a three piece connector design, with a load bar, a wire separator and a shielded connector. I DID not install the wire seperator as I feel I can keep the crossed wires much closer to the termination wtihout it. besides other cat6 shielded plugs don't even have a wire separator so I wouldn't imagine the omition of wire seperator would create the problem I am having?

Last edited by proudx; 02-06-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I removed the Muxlab 500058 and resolved the smearing issue by using the Tripp lite component video balun b136-101. The tripp lite still has ghosting but resolves the bad smearing the Muxlab 500058 had. I tried the 4 different muxlabs 500058 on 3 different cables and two different tvs, all exhibit the smearing on all cables and tvs involved. Only thing I can figure is the muxlab 500058 doesn't like something that is coming out of my Extron Crosspoint matrix switcher or just hates the type of CAT6 monoprice cable I am using, maybe has too much skew? Example of the smearing the muxlab was doing attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4802.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	743.2 KB
ID:	2521576  
post #5 of 6 Old 02-07-2019, 02:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked: 1003
What does the vendor specify? Many of these extenders I have used don't require shielded CAT cable. The shield adds significant capacitance and can certainly cause smearing on long runs. Unless you have RFI problems you don't need a shield with twisted pair.

Also these analog CAT5/6 extenders are not going to be pristine. There is always loss and often added noise. If you want to do it right, use real 75ohm coax.

Looking at your image I don't see any skew errors. They would be quite evident on those white letters.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2019, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glimmie View Post
What does the vendor specify? Many of these extenders I have used don't require shielded CAT cable. The shield adds significant capacitance and can certainly cause smearing on long runs. Unless you have RFI problems you don't need a shield with twisted pair.

Also these analog CAT5/6 extenders are not going to be pristine. There is always loss and often added noise. If you want to do it right, use real 75ohm coax.

Looking at your image I don't see any skew errors. They would be quite evident on those white letters.
yes for my critical runs I use 75ohm coax with canare RCAP connectors. those are solid. Unfortunately the runs I am talking about only have room for the existing installed cat6 shielded cable.

on smaller white letters or text, like TIVO guide or program information, I see duplicate text/white shadows to right of text, that is ghosting correct? sometimes I see 2 or duplicated ghost shadows of the text to the right of it as well. Is that different than skew? I see this even on a 35ft cable. Would a lowSkew or skewfree unshielded cat cable clear this up?

Last edited by proudx; 02-08-2019 at 10:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page