Wiring existing home with cat6a for Fiber install - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Wiring existing home with cat6a for Fiber install

I hope this is the right forum? I need help from the automation gurus!

I just bought a home, built an entertainment center for the AV equipment built some speakers and subs, pulled coax from the attic to the new OTA tuner for local hdtv broadcasts all without issue. I got the local cable company out to install tv and internet (they run Fiber to the home in my area). Sadly the tech could not install it because every room in the home was wired with coax only and so I need to wire the home with cat6a. It's a 1 story home with a large attic, so no issues with space and cabling, but there are two problems that I need help addressing.

1. I would like to use a large existing hall closet as my main network homerun because it is right in the center of the home and has easy attic access. It would be the best location for a wireless router, switches and any future surveillance/camera wiring and hdd. However, there is no power near the closet?

2. The television tech said that he is only able to bring the fiber to the phone/tv box at the side of the home. So I would be responsible for bringing the cat6a cable from the network closet down to the box where hopefully he will terminate it?

Should I pay an electrician to power the closet? Or do you think I should scrap the closet idea and just install a wireless router in the entertainment center. I could then run cat6a from there back to the phone/tv box area and have it as my main hub for AV and network equipment? There would not be any rooms hard-wired, but I guess I could always get the kids roku tv's?

Any ideas would be appreciated @MrBobb or @smoothtlk

p.s. I used to do low voltage and telecom wiring, so I am not afraid to get in the attic and make some dust!

Thanks everyone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 06:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 25
So...cable tv company is installing internet and tv or just internet?

For the internet - I can’t speak for all providers - but what I’ve seen (I have fios- have had Comcast) the cable company’s cable will connect to a cable modem the cable modem will then connect to a router. For fios - the cable modem is also a wireless router - for Comcast - I used my own router connected to their modem. How will your setup work (ie are they providing a cable modem, does it connect to coax / cat 6 / fiber, do you need your own router...).

In addition to sending out the WiFi signal - and being the central hub for all the cat 6 cables to provide wired internet access, the router is a DHCP host (which means it assigns IP addresses to everything on your network). The point of this is that the router serving as your DHCP server must be the first connection after the cable modem.

Assuming you want to run cat 6 to multiple rooms (and if you are getting cable tv - you may want multiple rooms) you will need to have all of the cat 6 connected to the router (and the tv coax connected to a splitter). Something like the central hub in the closet makes a lot of sense. IMO that is the way to go. Also a centralized location is good for the whole house to get the WiFi signal (wood - like the closet doors do not really harm the WiFi signal).

If you must put it with the entertainment unit - I would suggest putting it on top - to get less interference with the WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 Old 03-14-2019, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
The closet sounds like a good idea.
Ideally the fiber is run to that closet and the fiber-optic modem is installed there to transition to TCP/IP copper. I would put the modem in bridge mode and connect it to a good firewall (PFSense). Out of the firewall the Cat6a is plugged into a multiport network switch in the equipment rack for distribution through the rest of the home.

Your cables can be run through the ceiling and then dropped to all rooms. Dropping the cable is far easier than pushing it up. A long wood bit and some fiberglass push sticks should make the task easier.

While you are running cables, consider your video distribution strategy and whole house audio. Ideally all are run to the rooms back to the closet and all equipment is in the closet.

Figure out cooling for the closet before you commit to anything.

Once you determine the closet is a good idea, yes, have a good 20amp line run to the equipment closet ideally by an electrician.

Enjoy the new Digs!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Thanks guys!

Do you think the tech will run the fiber from the cable box outside up into the attic and down into the closet? Or should I be prepared for a "no" and pre-run a cat 6/7 directly from the closet to the attic above the cable box, just in case?

Yes, getting internet in 14 days and maybe adding tv service through them as well, depending on the deal. So the idea is to get every room run with at least a single cat6/7 line for the fios. Since each room already has coax, I believe they will use that for the tv?

I have an electrician and the closet is 3ft deep and 10ft high so it will stay cool even with a fiber modem, router and switch running all day.

Yes I currently have multiple routers and switches, but those were from my old house, which was ATT uverse, so I don't know if they are fiber (fios) compatible?

Thanks again!
post #5 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Be nice but assuming that they will wire to the equipment closet. Donuts and an easy path for them to work helps too.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
The closet sounds like a good idea.
Ideally the fiber is run to that closet and the fiber-optic modem is installed there to transition to TCP/IP copper. I would put the modem in bridge mode and connect it to a good firewall (PFSense). Out of the firewall the Cat6a is plugged into a multiport network switch in the equipment rack for distribution through the rest of the home.

Your cables can be run through the ceiling and then dropped to all rooms. Dropping the cable is far easier than pushing it up. A long wood bit and some fiberglass push sticks should make the task easier.

While you are running cables, consider your video distribution strategy and whole house audio. Ideally all are run to the rooms back to the closet and all equipment is in the closet.

Figure out cooling for the closet before you commit to anything.

Once you determine the closet is a good idea, yes, have a good 20amp line run to the equipment closet ideally by an electrician.

Enjoy the new Digs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohara View Post
So...cable tv company is installing internet and tv or just internet?

For the internet - I can’t speak for all providers - but what I’ve seen (I have fios- have had Comcast) the cable company’s cable will connect to a cable modem the cable modem will then connect to a router. For fios - the cable modem is also a wireless router - for Comcast - I used my own router connected to their modem. How will your setup work (ie are they providing a cable modem, does it connect to coax / cat 6 / fiber, do you need your own router...).

In addition to sending out the WiFi signal - and being the central hub for all the cat 6 cables to provide wired internet access, the router is a DHCP host (which means it assigns IP addresses to everything on your network). The point of this is that the router serving as your DHCP server must be the first connection after the cable modem.

Assuming you want to run cat 6 to multiple rooms (and if you are getting cable tv - you may want multiple rooms) you will need to have all of the cat 6 connected to the router (and the tv coax connected to a splitter). Something like the central hub in the closet makes a lot of sense. IMO that is the way to go. Also a centralized location is good for the whole house to get the WiFi signal (wood - like the closet doors do not really harm the WiFi signal).

If you must put it with the entertainment unit - I would suggest putting it on top - to get less interference with the WiFi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Be nice but assuming that they will wire to the equipment closet. Donuts and an easy path for them to work helps too.
Duly noted thanks!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 505
Who is your cable provider and what is make & model number for the Terminal Equipment [ONT?] they provided, if any????

Can we presume that you do NOT have a distribution issue with Cable Channels via existing internal Coax Network????

So, this is JUST an Internet distribution issue solvable by co-locating (multi-Antenna, High-Power, Type AC/N/G/?) WiFi Router near the Terminal [presuming there is room and it is NOT a shielded enclosure...otherwise, perhaps within a few feet]. And you MAY/LIKELY also need a WiFi Repeater at ANY fortuitous location with a Power Outlet [NOT necessarily the unpowered Closet...and BTW most large homes NEED one or more WiFi Repeaters ANYWAY]. If the WiFi Repeater is located at ANY of the E-N Cat-6 Outlets, THAT cable can then be used to drive ALL of the other E-N Cat-6 Outlets using either a Wi-Fi Router [may also be a Repeater] or just a simple E-N Switch:
http://homenetworkadmin.com/wireless...-ac-difference [Type N has longest Range, Type AC has highest Data Rate]

OR perhaps there is NO REAL NEED for ANY Cat6 Wiring if ALL of your devices support Wi-Fi [may need USB Dongle for Type N/AC Upgrade, see examples below]...and you likely can get a COMPATIBLE WiFi "Dongle" for any Hi-Fi Component that doesn't have Wi-Fi Built-In (such as a Disc Player that doesn't support E-N via HDMI to SMART TV that DOES...PS: Not all HDMI Cables have the separate E-N pinouts). You should compare SPEED of various WiFi Products to Cat-6's 1-Gbps Speed....ONLY a very few applications actually BENEFIT from the highest speed [10+ Gbps] available via Ethernet Cable direct connect, such as PC to NAS for large file transfers:
https://icc.com/help-article/difference-cat6-cat6e
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-600Mb.../dp/B06XRG9QDV [Example "Nano" Size]
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CCMUN8C..._t3_B06XRG9QDV [Example with High Gain Antenna]

BTW: There are MOCA 2.0 Adapters [NOT inexpensive] that operate in a Frequency Band higher than CATV which support point-to-point Ethernet Connections via the SHARED CATV Coax Network. Investigate carefully if you intend to ALSO use MOCA Band for distribution of Media Files [such as "DLNA" from Game Station, NAS or PC Server to Disc Player or SMART TV for Playback]:
https://www.amazon.com/slp/ethernet-...wb59d8gvfor9a5

Last edited by holl_ands; 03-15-2019 at 06:40 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I too am an old phone guy... Key Systems, Nortel, yada, yada..

FiOS uses ONT boxes. Fiber from street to ONT, you'll need to provide power for it. (Have mine mounted on backboard inside garage)

From ONT they use coax to connect their router (Also in garage) that same coax supplies unencrypted QAM of local channels. No need for OTA antenna or set-top box. You obviously wont receive EPG. There are other solutions but would require you renting their cableCard, but thats another topic. If you're going that route, you'll need coax @ your TV's. Most TV's these days come with QAM receiver, or whatever it's called.

Personally don't use coax @ my TV's or their set-top boxes. Cat5e to RaspberryPi's behind TV's.

Closets a good idea. You know us phone guys, slap a backboard, run power. Done!
post #9 of 9 Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobr8ks View Post
I too am an old phone guy... Key Systems, Nortel, yada, yada..

FiOS uses ONT boxes. Fiber from street to ONT, you'll need to provide power for it. (Have mine mounted on backboard inside garage)

From ONT they use coax to connect their router (Also in garage) that same coax supplies unencrypted QAM of local channels. No need for OTA antenna or set-top box. You obviously wont receive EPG. There are other solutions but would require you renting their cableCard, but thats another topic. If you're going that route, you'll need coax @ your TV's. Most TV's these days come with QAM receiver, or whatever it's called.

Personally don't use coax @ my TV's or their set-top boxes. Cat5e to RaspberryPi's behind TV's.

Closets a good idea. You know us phone guys, slap a backboard, run power. Done!
LOL yea I installed Nortel t11 switches on the swing shift. So backboard, punch downs, 1000 ft of cable and I will be in the rafters if you guys need me!

All joking aside, thank you! Funny and ironic that the television/cable box is right below the electrical panel on the side of the house and I have no power anywhere near it. Time to call the electrician
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page