1Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Are these good choices

So the construction of our house is beginning this week. I am looking to purchase my cabling as I will be running cat6 and speak cable thought the house. I still need to determine how much I need but I wanted to check and see if these sections are good for both the speaker wire and the cat6 cabling. I was looking at 14AWg for the speaker with and in 2 wire because I am not going to be installing volume control nobs and I will be running direct to each speaker. I know if will be a lot of cable, especially sine I am running for about 10 zones with anywhere from 2 to 4 speakers in those zone s

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8103

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcj7 View Post
So the construction of our house is beginning this week. I am looking to purchase my cabling as I will be running cat6 and speak cable thought the house. I still need to determine how much I need but I wanted to check and see if these sections are good for both the speaker wire and the cat6 cabling. I was looking at 14AWg for the speaker with and in 2 wire because I am not going to be installing volume control nobs and I will be running direct to each speaker. I know if will be a lot of cable, especially sine I am running for about 10 zones with anywhere from 2 to 4 speakers in those zone s

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=8103

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2817

thanks for any input

yes and yes.... great quality, great price.

have you thought about which speakers you are going with.
post #3 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
yes and yes.... great quality, great price.

have you thought about which speakers you are going with.
Thanks

Not 100% sure yet but I will probably look at the 8" Monoprice speakers they have. I have a couple extra laying around and I thought they would be good for mostly background music. the price is pretty good as well

open to suggestions though.

My toughest decision right now is deciding on what I am going to use for my control system of the audio. Leaning towards the HTD solution but not 100% sure yet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks

Not 100% sure yet but I will probably look at the 8" Monoprice speakers they have. I have a couple extra laying around and I thought they would be good for mostly background music. the price is pretty good as well

open to suggestions though.

My toughest decision right now is deciding on what I am going to use for my control system of the audio. Leaning towards the HTD solution but not 100% sure yet
For speakers, check out outdoorspeakerdepot.com

Very inexpensive, and quality a bit better than mono. I have used them both for years, and feel the OSD are a bit better sounding.

I have never used HTD, but have heard some good things about them.

others will recommend chrome-cast audios, and a a few multi channel amps.
post #5 of 17 Old 05-21-2019, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
For speakers, check out outdoorspeakerdepot.com

Very inexpensive, and quality a bit better than mono. I have used them both for years, and feel the OSD are a bit better sounding.

I have never used HTD, but have heard some good things about them.

others will recommend chrome-cast audios, and a a few multi channel amps.
I will check the site out.

I have read the post on the chrome cast and the multi channel amp. I am a very heavy apple user and while I know it will work I am not sure it will function the way I want. I am thinking of the multi channel amp possible sonos but I am not sure yet. I just want to get the infrastructure in and then make a decision. By time the house is done in about 8 months or so things could change
post #6 of 17 Old 05-22-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1682 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
If you are running speakers back to a central location, get 14/4 cabling, not 14/2 with two runs. This is far easier as it allows you to make one single wire pull from the head end. It also means that at the head end there is a single wire for each room, instead of two wires per room. You basically take it up to a ceiling location where a speaker will go, then look the speaker cable once, leaving a couple of feet of slack, then take it over to the second speaker location. This gives the cleanest installation and is the industry standard for whole house audio wiring. It is extremely unusual to run 2 conductor wiring around the home, even with direct connections.

Nothing wrong with the wire though.

Be aware, without volume controls in-line with the amplifier, you must have some other way to control volume in each room. That can be done with a proper multi-zone pre-amp/source selector, or with a dedicated per-room source (like Chromecast) which has integrated volume control.
seewolf likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #7 of 17 Old 05-22-2019, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
If you are running speakers back to a central location, get 14/4 cabling, not 14/2 with two runs. This is far easier as it allows you to make one single wire pull from the head end. It also means that at the head end there is a single wire for each room, instead of two wires per room. You basically take it up to a ceiling location where a speaker will go, then look the speaker cable once, leaving a couple of feet of slack, then take it over to the second speaker location. This gives the cleanest installation and is the industry standard for whole house audio wiring. It is extremely unusual to run 2 conductor wiring around the home, even with direct connections.

Nothing wrong with the wire though.

Be aware, without volume controls in-line with the amplifier, you must have some other way to control volume in each room. That can be done with a proper multi-zone pre-amp/source selector, or with a dedicated per-room source (like Chromecast) which has integrated volume control.
Thanks for the advice on the 14/4. I was looking at that but I thought it made more sense if I had a volume control in the middle. If I am running 4 spearers in one zone I am assuming the concept is the same except I run two 14/4 to that location?

I am either going to use a phone for volume control or have some dedicated iPads as well. Alexa may be on the list as well

thanks again
post #8 of 17 Old 06-05-2019, 02:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the 14/4. I was looking at that but I thought it made more sense if I had a volume control in the middle. If I am running 4 spearers in one zone I am assuming the concept is the same except I run two 14/4 to that location?

I am either going to use a phone for volume control or have some dedicated iPads as well. Alexa may be on the list as well

thanks again
Generally, yes, that's the way to do it. That way each speaker is still home run and you can connect it as you please.

While 12 gauge cable is often used in home theaters, it's completely overkill for ceiling speakers and background music and is plenty to carry a ton of power to those speakers with ease. It is likely even 16 gauge would be acceptable, but I would stick with 14 gauge 14/4 wiring.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_...7900180a240611

You should put together a detailed list of what you are doing and where you are running things. I put cat-5e in my attic for all my upstairs rooms to put keypads/control into as I want as well as having speakers with 14/4 in all the rooms.

Technically, you could jumper between a couple of speakers which would impact the ohm load, but not by enough to impact most quality distribution amplifiers which are mostly stable to a 4ohm load. But, individual runs allows the most flexibility.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #9 of 17 Old 07-22-2019, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

I am getting ready to make my purchase of cat6 and speaker cable. I noticed that the speaker cable from parts express is much cheaper then mono price. Is the in wall rated speaker wire as good as the monoprice or is it no good?
post #10 of 17 Old 07-22-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
If running 14/4 cable to a pair of ceiling speakers, whats the preferred method of breaking out a pair of the 14/4?
Strip the sheathing from the pair of wires running to the far speaker and leave the pair of wires unsheathed?
Thanks
E
post #11 of 17 Old 07-22-2019, 01:44 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge540 View Post
If running 14/4 cable to a pair of ceiling speakers, whats the preferred method of breaking out a pair of the 14/4?
Strip the sheathing from the pair of wires running to the far speaker and leave the pair of wires unsheathed?
Thanks
E
Normally I would buy both 14/4 and 14/2 and I would run a length of 14/2 between the speakers.
post #12 of 17 Old 07-22-2019, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Normally I would buy both 14/4 and 14/2 and I would run a length of 14/2 between the speakers.
Thank you for answering. Duh, I should have thought of that!
post #13 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter

any thought on the parts express compared to Monoprice for speaker cable?

https://www.parts-express.com/audtek...0-ft--100-1010
post #14 of 17 Old 07-23-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
any thought on the parts express compared to Monoprice for speaker cable?

https://www.parts-express.com/audtek...0-ft--100-1010
monoprice is pure bare copper speaker wire, as the link for the other stuff is CCA (copper clad aluminum)
post #15 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
monoprice is pure bare copper speaker wire, as the link for the other stuff is CCA (copper clad aluminum)

Thanks! I will stick with the Monoprice speaker cable
post #16 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 11:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I am getting ready to make my purchase of cat6 and speaker cable. I noticed that the speaker cable from parts express is much cheaper then mono price. Is the in wall rated speaker wire as good as the monoprice or is it no good?
Monoprice 14/4 - 1000' is $445

Parts Express has a bunch of different models, which are you looking at?
If it is this...
https://www.parts-express.com/in-wal...ProductDetails

Be aware that this isn't pure copper cable. It is copper clad aluminum, which isn't anywhere near the quality of the pure copper cabling that Monoprice offers.

post #17 of 17 Old 07-24-2019, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Oh, and that's what I get for answering mid-thread instead of reading the follow up responses.

Unlike the previous poster, I actually jumper 14/4 between the two speaker locations, making a loop at the first speaker, and then taking it on to the second speaker. I break the jacket at the first speaker and tie in the speaker to the wire there, then I use the other color pair at the second speaker location. So, I don't wire-nut speaker wire together between speaker locations.

I do typically label the speaker wire for the direction to the amp so I know which end is going to be hot.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page