Yep, another newbie wiring their under construction house - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Postmoderndesign
  • 1 Post By FlyOnTheWall

post #1 of 8 Old 06-11-2019, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yep, another newbie wiring their under construction house

hey everyone,
I'm a newbie here. I've been searching and reading thru lots of information and I think I might be getting some of this correct. My house is under construction and here is my thoughts of what wiring is needed. The house is around 3000 sq ft and the master bedroom and main living area is on the second floor and will also be were the utility/wiring closet will be (with an partial AC vent). The first floor contains a mother-in-law / possible AirB&B suite and two guest bedrooms.

Fiber will come in underground to a 1st floor storage and mechanical room. I'm assuming this is where the provider will plug in their modem. From there I will need to run the incoming signal to the 2nd floor utility/wiring closet for distribution. I'm not sure what type of cabling I should be using to connect these two points. suggestions? Coax? CAT7? CAT6? FIBER?

The house will have 4 external security cameras (something that does Power over Ethernet (POE). I should use a CAT6 cable with a solid copper core.

The First floor rooms just need high speed Internet and maybe access to Satellite or cable HD television and streaming, so I should run COAX, CAT6 and CAT6e to each room.

The second floor is the space that needs the latest and greatest. So the plan is to run 1.5" or 2" conduit to the television space in the family room and to the television space in the master bedroom (both rooms are adjacent to the utility/wiring closet and less than 25' away). The plan is to run COAX, CAT6 and CAT6e to both of these locations.

I already have an investment in SONOS speakers, but might buy their amp product and add some ceiling speakers and external speakers.

I haven't seen any posts covering where/when CAT7 or 7a should be. Anyway, am I in the ballpark or do I need to go back to the batting cage?

thanks,

DMZNOLA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 473 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZNOLA View Post
hey everyone,
I'm a newbie here. I've been searching and reading thru lots of information and I think I might be getting some of this correct. My house is under construction and here is my thoughts of what wiring is needed. The house is around 3000 sq ft and the master bedroom and main living area is on the second floor and will also be were the utility/wiring closet will be (with an partial AC vent). The first floor contains a mother-in-law / possible AirB&B suite and two guest bedrooms.

Fiber will come in underground to a 1st floor storage and mechanical room. I'm assuming this is where the provider will plug in their modem. From there I will need to run the incoming signal to the 2nd floor utility/wiring closet for distribution. I'm not sure what type of cabling I should be using to connect these two points. suggestions? Coax? CAT7? CAT6? FIBER?

The house will have 4 external security cameras (something that does Power over Ethernet (POE). I should use a CAT6 cable with a solid copper core.

The First floor rooms just need high speed Internet and maybe access to Satellite or cable HD television and streaming, so I should run COAX, CAT6 and CAT6e to each room.

The second floor is the space that needs the latest and greatest. So the plan is to run 1.5" or 2" conduit to the television space in the family room and to the television space in the master bedroom (both rooms are adjacent to the utility/wiring closet and less than 25' away). The plan is to run COAX, CAT6 and CAT6e to both of these locations.

I already have an investment in SONOS speakers, but might buy their amp product and add some ceiling speakers and external speakers.

I haven't seen any posts covering where/when CAT7 or 7a should be. Anyway, am I in the ballpark or do I need to go back to the batting cage?

thanks,

DMZNOLA
During building is a good time to install 1&1/2" or 2" conduit to important drop sites so you can add or remove cable as technology advances.

About three years ago while Google was laying conduit for fiber-(a project that Google never finished) I opened walls to do repairs and took the opportunity to add conduit as all I had was POTS, plain old telephone service. I installed RG6 coax cable, speaker wire, and cat6A. Finally this year I switched to comcast/xfinity and a 60 MBPS contract for (4K HDR netflix) finally using the conduit and wiring I had installed.

The RG6 was intended for antenna hook ups but most stations I can get without an external antenna. Broadcast TV continues to diminish in value. I only use the RG6 to bring Xfinity to its modem and then I distribute the internet through cat 6A. The reason I selected cat 6A is that it can be grounded to reduce interference and my server is next to the house's breaker box and main electrical wiring.

Whatever you do is going to be your best guess. You will end up with drops you never use and places you wish you have drops. How many people are living in you house will change over time as well as how your inhabitants use the house.

I think it will be a long time before I need gigabit speed-I may not live that long.
DMZNOLA likes this.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #3 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3154 Post(s)
Liked: 2196
^^^^ excellent advice. Take the time to think about each room, what you want to install in there and where, and possibly what you'd like to do later on. You can always use a blank face plate over the j-boxes if you don't use them right away. It's better to have a few connections that you don't use than to decide you should have put a connection over there because you've moved the furniture around. Extra RG-6, solid core CAT-6 (non-CCA and not CAT-6 ethernet cable), pull strings, will make your life so much easier. Conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your wiring needs.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-12-2019, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Conduit?

Otto and Postmoderndesign, when conduit is mentioned, is there a specific spec or standard that I should adhere to? Or does simple PVC pipe do the trick? Also, is there any special care needed for 90 degree turns? (aside from trying to avoid them).

Thank you for your responses
post #5 of 8 Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMZNOLA View Post
Otto and Postmoderndesign, when conduit is mentioned, is there a specific spec or standard that I should adhere to? Or does simple PVC pipe do the trick? Also, is there any special care needed for 90 degree turns? (aside from trying to avoid them).

Thank you for your responses

Never 90s !!!

They gotta be sweeping 90s if you are using the regular PVC type electrical conduit.

Another choice is the flexible orange and blue. Comes in diff sizes, 2" may be overkill.. but something like this...

https://www.amazon.com/Carlon-SCJ4X1.../dp/B0008KL8YY
Postmoderndesign likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 06-14-2019, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yo yo.

I'm curious what you're running the coax for? I've been renovating my house and tearing out all the coax in the house and replacing it with cat6e+audio inputs/outputs. I see absolutely no reason i'll need coax outside of the server room for internet (although even that is on it's way out).

If you're still watching cable television I can see it in a few places, but running it to every room (especially in a new house) seems like a waste of space to me. Even then i'd rather just run extra cat6e instead, it's much more versatile than coax.

You *can* run fiber to every room but you'll need to terminate it and convert to ethernet somehow, and that gets expensive. If you had an expansion to the house, I can see running a fiber line to a secondary closet and terminating it there, and running the cat6 nearby to that closet instead, but you won't need to have fiber in every room for at least a decade, probably more.
post #7 of 8 Old 06-14-2019, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Coax is still the go-to cable for OTA, Satellite, and Cable (TV, all of them). Any location you plan to put a TV should get coax.
post #8 of 8 Old 06-14-2019, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Coax is still the go-to cable for OTA, Satellite, and Cable (TV, all of them). Any location you plan to put a TV should get coax.

yup..

Coax is cheap... just buy a spool of RG6 and go crazy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page