4 zone setup advice. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
4 zone setup advice.

Hey everyone, I'm new to all this so hopefully can get your advice.

I'm renovating a house I've just purchased and plan to put in some speaker cable at the same time as doing an electrical rewire.

I want to do a 4 zone stereo setup, with each zone being able to independently play a source. 2 of the zones would additionally have TVs connected, which I want to control the volume from via the TV remote.

I'm probably looking at using Chromecast audio's, as it works great for us currently and I don't want to use a **** 3rd party middleman app.

Not really interested in having control panels as well, as we can just use our phones, tablets, laptops and cast.

The choice seems to be between a dumb amp with 4 Chromecasts or something like a VSSL.
I'm not 100% on how the TV volume would work or what to look for there.

I'm UK based, which is worth mentioning as some amp brands seem to be us only.

What amp do you think best meets.my needs? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 184
You didn't state a budget but I'd go with four Sonos Connect maps, at $500 each, or $600 each for the higher power model. There is a line in jack for connecting a television.
I love mine, I've got four of them. I stream XM, Amazon music, and even have a CD changer .
post #3 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

I could push to 4 sonas amps but if you can do the same for less then I would prefer that option.

Not a huge fan of sonas as they feel like the Apple of the audio world. I hate having to use 3rd party apps to manage casting and would rather do it direct from the app I'm playing from. I know that may have changed now with Sonos, as Spotify, TuneIn, YouTube etc might let you do it natively. The price does seem fairly ridiculous too...
I've heard about the VSSL A1 coming out soon which I guess is comparable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 06:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibib View Post
I could push to 4 sonas amps but if you can do the same for less then I would prefer that option.

Not a huge fan of sonas as they feel like the Apple of the audio world. I hate having to use 3rd party apps to manage casting and would rather do it direct from the app I'm playing from. I know that may have changed now with Sonos, as Spotify, TuneIn, YouTube etc might let you do it natively. The price does seem fairly ridiculous too...
I've heard about the VSSL A1 coming out soon which I guess is comparable.

If you already have a multi channel amp you could go with a Sonos Connect, which is minus the amp and costs $150 less. That gives you the flexibility of more power. Every streaming source is controlled through the Sonos app on a smart phone or tablet, zones, volume, etc. You even get album art through Amazon streaming. All I know is that fifteen years ago I wired for a whole house four zone audio system and put four volume controls in the walls hoping to upgrade to a Nuvo Grand Concerto or a Russound whole house system complete with wall control pads and I finally have a whole house audio system that is easier to operate at a quarter to half the cost. It is the most intuitive and elegant system out there, even my wife can use it and that speaks volumes as she is very tech challenged. The icing on the cake? I can sit pool side and change sources, adjust the volume, all through my phone.

You can certainly spend less and get less.....

Last edited by mylan; 06-15-2019 at 07:12 PM.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-15-2019, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for replying.

Or I could use a Chromecast audio for a 5th of the price as the Sonas connect.

I probably need to try them out again as I just have bad memories of having to queue things up in their annoying app.

I definitely don't want a system controlled via dedicated panels. I want to cast my audio from our phones.

Some options I'm considering.

- Sonas amp
- Individual amp in each room with CCA connected. (Tangent AMPSTER BT II)
- individual amp with CCA built in (VSSL a.1)
- central multi zone amp with multiple CCA's as sources. (Dayton Audio's MA1260, MA1240a, NAD CI 980, Dayton Audio DAX66)

I want an amp that can power on when it detects source as I want it tucked away out of site.
I'm not sure how to control TV volume for a central multizone amp.

I'm leaning towards individual amps in each zone as it's probably the simplest setup.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibib View Post
Thanks for replying.

Or I could use a Chromecast audio for a 5th of the price as the Sonas connect.

I probably need to try them out again as I just have bad memories of having to queue things up in their annoying app.

I definitely don't want a system controlled via dedicated panels. I want to cast my audio from our phones.

Some options I'm considering.

- Sonas amp
- Individual amp in each room with CCA connected. (Tangent AMPSTER BT II)
- individual amp with CCA built in (VSSL a.1)
- central multi zone amp with multiple CCA's as sources. (Dayton Audio's MA1260, MA1240a, NAD CI 980, Dayton Audio DAX66)

I want an amp that can power on when it detects source as I want it tucked away out of site.
I'm not sure how to control TV volume for a central multizone amp.

I'm leaning towards individual amps in each zone as it's probably the simplest setup.
It's SONOS

not SONAS
post #7 of 7 Old 06-19-2019, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter

Useful post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version