How? Outdoor music control to wired outdoor speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How? Outdoor music control to wired outdoor speakers

Hello!

Problem:
I have an indoor receiver powering two outdoor wired speakers that I installed. When outdoors, using my iPhone I play music (Spotify), which is paired via Bluetooth to my Logitech Bluetooth transmitter inside, connected to receiver. This system is simple and it works, but cuts out here and there, and is distracting and needs to be reassessed. Being that the Bluetooth signal is trying to go through walls, my guess is this would be the apparent problem...distortion of the signal reaching to and from my phone through walls which is not Bluetooth's strong suit.

Question:
Can anyone advise what I should do to play music to this wired outdoor system from my phone outside (or anyone's phone who wants to connect)?

I realize I could scrap this setup and buy wireless, but these are nice outdoor Klipsch speakers and frankly always preferred to use a wired setup for consistency.
Also, please feel free to point me to an already-asked post that addresses this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I would use a Chromecast audio plugged into your receiver. Then spotify connect control from your phone.

This would require wifi coverage outdoors from where you listen/control from.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
post #3 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Great, thanks Bruach! so, instead of bluetooth, I just connect to wifi/chromecast? I will pick one up tomorrow and try, thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 06-20-2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late Nighter View Post
Great, thanks Bruach! so, instead of bluetooth, I just connect to wifi/chromecast? I will pick one up tomorrow and try, thanks much.
Yep thats it. Much more reliable than bluetooth. But as long as you have wifi coverage.

Try and find a chromecast audio which has the 3.5mm plug not hdmi.

post #5 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruach View Post
Yep thats it. Much more reliable than bluetooth. But as long as you have wifi coverage.

Try and find a chromecast audio which has the 3.5mm plug not hdmi.

Shoot, I already ordered the HDMI one from Amazon arriving sometime today (as it seemed to be the latest model). Is it not going to work?

As for wifi, I should be set for coverage, I'm using the Orbi system which sends a healthy signal everywhere.
post #6 of 14 Old 06-21-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Shoot, I already ordered the HDMI one from Amazon arriving sometime today (as it seemed to be the latest model). Is it not going to work?

As for wifi, I should be set for coverage, I'm using the Orbi system which sends a healthy signal everywhere.
Hdmi should be ok. What receiver do you have?

Are you using a zone 2 or 3? Or main zone?

post #7 of 14 Old 06-22-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Quote:

You can use the regular Chromecast (HDMI version) if you have HDMI inputs. Its probably the best choice.

You'll need to use your phone to set up initially, with the Google Home app.
post #8 of 14 Old 06-22-2019, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
You can use the regular Chromecast (HDMI version) if you have HDMI inputs. Its probably the best choice.

You'll need to use your phone to set up initially, with the Google Home app.
It is not the best choice. It depends what reciever he has. Some receivers dont pass hdmi audio to zone 2/3. Thats why i asked what reciever he has and recommended chromecast audio.

For multiroom audio chromecast audios are the best choice. You do not need hdmi. But it may work if you have the right reciever.

post #9 of 14 Old 06-22-2019, 02:42 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruach View Post
It is not the best choice.

I said its 'probably' the best choice. It will be supported and updated unlike a CCA. I assumed he'd not have bought HDMI if it wouldn't work. Yes, its possible but I gave the benefit of the doubt.

Newer generation chrome-casts support multi-room audio.
post #10 of 14 Old 06-22-2019, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
You do need to mention the receiver. For example, I have a Denon X4200W (2015 model). I also have a Chromecast Audio and a Roku connected to it. I can use Spotify connect with either the Chromecast Audio, the Roku (app recently added back for Spotify) or the Denon and control from my phone. I can also cast music from a computer (music stored on the computer, running on a free Plex app) to the Chromecast Audio and have it play to zone 2. I can also control the receiver zone 2 volume with my phone with a Denon phone app. The X4200W allows connecting to a Zone 2 amplifier, specifying mono or stereo output to zone 2, and controlling volume to the zone 2 amplifier. Same thing if the speakers are directly connected to zone 2 speaker connectors. I can also pass digital or analog signals. X4200W is a middle line receiver. Lower line receivers from the same brand may only pass analog and may not allow volume control or specifying mono. If you want to play 5.1 or such inside and stereo outside from the same source you may not be able to do this - one solution is to run stereo inside and outside for such an event.

Living room: Samsung PN60F8500, Sony X800M2, Roku Premiere+, Revel W763, Revel M16, Hsu HB-1 MK2, RSL C34E, Rhythmik D15SE, Denon X4200W; Zone 2: Speaker selector, Yamaha RX-V495 (1999); Bedroom: Panasonic P50U54, Oppo BDP-80, Chromecast Audio, Advent Legacy III (1994), Denon 2310ci; Cabin: Roku 3, NHT Super Zero (1996), Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Denon 1712
post #11 of 14 Old 06-23-2019, 05:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highmr View Post
If you want to play 5.1 or such inside and stereo outside from the same source you may not be able to do this - one solution is to run stereo inside and outside for such an event.

Fine, but the OP did not appear to be asking for this. Just wants to play stereo outside without dropouts. Regular CC "should" solve that problem. He's ordered it already, so we'll see.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 06-23-2019 at 05:54 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 06-24-2019, 09:03 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Fine, but the OP did not appear to be asking for this. Just wants to play stereo outside without dropouts. Regular CC "should" solve that problem. He's ordered it already, so we'll see.
I didn't say don't get a regular ChromeCast. I was describing my setup as examples, and also mentioned some pitfalls.
If the receiver is lower end, then it needs an analog or internal app signal. An HDMI connection won't be sent to zone 2 in this case. But I do not know what receiver he has.
Given certain receivers, the regular ChromeCast may be fine.

Living room: Samsung PN60F8500, Sony X800M2, Roku Premiere+, Revel W763, Revel M16, Hsu HB-1 MK2, RSL C34E, Rhythmik D15SE, Denon X4200W; Zone 2: Speaker selector, Yamaha RX-V495 (1999); Bedroom: Panasonic P50U54, Oppo BDP-80, Chromecast Audio, Advent Legacy III (1994), Denon 2310ci; Cabin: Roku 3, NHT Super Zero (1996), Hsu VTF-2 MK4, Denon 1712
post #13 of 14 Old 06-25-2019, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Hey guys,
to answer the question on receiver, I have the Pioneer VSX-1023, and has HDMI, and have hooked up that way. So far so good, its been streaming perfectly in all of my tests. Thanks again Bruach, and everyone else too, for your support here.

Next up is testing it from further out in the yard where my bonfire pit would be, as well as is testing/casting it from other people's phones.
post #14 of 14 Old 06-26-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Next up is testing it from further out in the yard where my bonfire pit would be, as well as is testing/casting it from other people's phones.

Glad its working. As long as a phone has a decent connection to your wifi, you should be solid. When casting normally through apps that support casting, the Chromecast gets its music directly from the source (Spotify), not through the phone. The phone just tells it what to play. In fact, you can usually disconnect your phone and the queued music will continue.

But there are some apps where local music might be streamed from the phone itself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page