ARC or 4k/60hz and HR over Cat6? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 06-28-2019, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ARC or 4k/60hz and HR over Cat6?

I'm looking to upgrade my tv and pass HDMI over Cat6. I'm trying to decide if I should run 4k at the TV and then send the audio back to my receiver (50-75 feet away) via ARC or if I'm better running 4k sources at the rack and then sending the 4k video to the TV (including HDR and DolbyVision). Either way will require going over Cat6 cable which I know can at times be flaky.

Is one more reliable than the other (ARC vs. 4k+HDR)? I see a lot of HDMI extenders advertising 4k/60,HDR10,4:4:4,18gb/s. Far fewer advertise ARC which to me seems like it would be an easier passthrough since it requires less bandwidth. From my research it doesn't seem likely that an extender will work passing both ARC and 4k video due to bandwidth limits of Cat6.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-28-2019, 06:32 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 799 Post(s)
Liked: 563
HD Fury is your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Lumagen Radiance Pro HDR Tone Mapping Guide: Click Here

Lumagen Radiance Pro Setup & Calibration Tips: Click Here

UHD-BD Backup & Playback Guidance Link
post #3 of 9 Old 07-03-2019, 05:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Reliability - ARC and its buddy CEC can be flaky at 6'. Will you have the option to test the system using short HDMI cables before you decide to investigate using ARC over a long cable run?

Connectivity - Source > AVR > TV vs. Source > TV > AVR - given the choice I would tend to go with Source > AVR > TV and only use ARC or (Optical Digital Audio) if you use the TV tuner or onboard streaming Apps. Personally my TV is used as a 'monitor' with all of my Sources connect to my AVR so audio out of the TV is not an issue.

Over CAT - can get very expensive if you want ARC support and 4K signals generally have to go through some form of 'visually lossless' compression to fit the signal onto a single CAT cable.

RuiPro Hybrid Fibre HDMI - is the solution we use and supply most often to cater for ARC* and non-compressed 4K UHD over long cable runs.

*ARC always carries the caveat that it may not work for your particular combination of kit.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-03-2019, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
This just popped up on youtube..

post #5 of 9 Old 07-04-2019, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked: 347
'This just popped up on youtube..' - lots of useful features for the Installer market, still has to use 'visually lossless' compression though

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-16-2019, 08:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ARC on HDMI - Almost there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
'This just popped up on youtube..' - lots of useful features for the Installer market, still has to use 'visually lossless' compression though

Joe
Joe and others:
You have been very helpful. I am also in the same Journey. Finally upgraded to 4K with an incredible OLED. I have all my gear in the closet and had the same concept of only using TV as a monitor, thus just needed to send video from basement to TV.
But the new TVs have great streaming Apps and my receiver (only a couple of years old) does not support HDR. Yes, I will upgrade but all in, I always like to future proof and thus was looking for the ideal HDMI extender with 444 and ARC support for a reasonable price.
I went through the trouble of moving my receiver from the basement and connected it directly to the TV via HDMI to set a baseline. CEC works perfect (turn on TV, also powers Denon and changes Denon to TV audio). ARC also works great. Denon reports receiving Dolby Digital+5.1 from TV (even though I have read ARC only supports Dolby Digital). Thus LG + Denon on HDMI is a good marriage and it set my baseline. I was hoping the extenders would be transparent (work like the HDMI Cable). They are not.

Tried 2 of them so far, one from Monoprice, one from AV Access, both under $250. The one from Mono did not even do CEC well even though support said it would do ARC. The one from AV Access worked better but can only send PCM 2.0 signal from the TV back to the receiver, very frustrating. I have tried this with CAT6 cables, HDMI 2.0 cables, all short runs with my receiver next to the TV, thus I do not think cables are my problem. And again, it works, but it is only able to send PCM 2.0 back from the TV to the Denon receiver. I am emailing back and fwd with support. They say ARC does not support higher than Dolby Digital, not DD+ even though I see it working when I connect the TV directly to the receiver. May be my receiver and TV are using eARC to be able to send dolby digital+?. My Denon AV-x2200W is not supposed to support eARC. LG Oled does.

To be clear video and audio from the Denon to the TV work perfectly. I have not spent much time watching video from the Receiver to TV but what I have seen looks very good. I can not test HDR because my receiver wont pass HDR (or at least that is what Roku said when I plugged it to the Denon Receiver). When setting up the Roku, it actually tests if it will support the video you ask it to transmit and when plugged to the receiver it said it could not pass HDCP 2.2. When I plug the Roku directly to the TV, it passes every test.

Thus the best solution I can think of right now is to:
1 Get a new receiver that supports HDR and all latest video formats.
2 Connect all sources to new receiver and receiver to TV (go back to TV as a dumb screen).
3 Connect audio out of TV to the receiver via optical. The HDMI Extender from AV Access has optical in and out (have not tried that yet) that would allow to send Dolby Digital 5.1 back to receiver when using the TV apps. HDMI's promise of "one cable" went down the drain, dusting off those Toslink cables I almost throw away a couple of weeks ago.

Before paying $1000+ for an HDMI extender with good ARC from Atlona or Gefen, I am better off upgrading my receiver to a newer model that supports all video formats and route all sources this way. When my wife and kids want to use the TV apps (it is simpler to be honest), they can just listen to Dolby Digital.

Any other ideas why the extender may be only supporting PCM 2.0 back from TV to receiver?

Jorge

Last edited by jebeltra; 12-16-2019 at 08:54 AM.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-16-2019, 09:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by giomania View Post
HD Fury is your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Just checked the HD fury Diva, seems to have it all!!.
AT $450 is a bit pricey. May be better off using TV as dumb screen and avoid using ARC.

Very tempting at $450 just for curiosity sakes.

Jorge
post #8 of 9 Old 12-18-2019, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
Reliability - ARC and its buddy CEC can be flaky at 6'. Will you have the option to test the system using short HDMI cables before you decide to investigate using ARC over a long cable run?

Connectivity - Source > AVR > TV vs. Source > TV > AVR - given the choice I would tend to go with Source > AVR > TV and only use ARC or (Optical Digital Audio) if you use the TV tuner or onboard streaming Apps. Personally my TV is used as a 'monitor' with all of my Sources connect to my AVR so audio out of the TV is not an issue.

Over CAT - can get very expensive if you want ARC support and 4K signals generally have to go through some form of 'visually lossless' compression to fit the signal onto a single CAT cable.

RuiPro Hybrid Fibre HDMI - is the solution we use and supply most often to cater for ARC* and non-compressed 4K UHD over long cable runs.

*ARC always carries the caveat that it may not work for your particular combination of kit.

Joe
Joe, is their a Ruipro style solution that you like that doesn't include the fiber but runs over external fiber wiring? I have a couple cases where I'd like to send 4K atmos from a source next to the TV (because it's a shield TV and want to use the included BT remote) to an AVR and then back to the TV. I have plenty of fiber, and could use a conduit, but would prefer to save the conduit for a different purpose.

thx
mike
post #9 of 9 Old 01-02-2020, 05:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I recently just moved to another house that was pre-wired and had everything in a media closet where my last house did not. I ended up purchasing the HDFury Maestro TX/RX and it is pretty impressive, but a bit expensive. I am not a pro, but I have done a lot of research and I have been very happy. Today I posted an issue here that I was having and they quickly helped me resolve it.
I have an AppleTV 4K output that goes to a Denon AVR7200 input, AVR Monitor 1 ARC output to the HDFury HDMI0 input, Cat 6e shielded cable from the HDFury TX in the media closet to the HDFury RX in the living room (80'), and HDMI to the 4k HDR Samusng TV.
This thing is good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page