• 1 Post By sbarnesvta

post #1 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Baseball Stadium Video Feed

Hi All,
I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
I work at a 3000 seat baseball stadium and have a question about a video setup.
I am trying to add a PTZ camera in centerfield to add a 'Centerfield' angle like you see on TV. The press box is behind home plate, and the distance of the RG6 cabling is approximately 600 feet from the where the camera is mounted to the input in the press box.

I ran the RG6 myself, and put in a total of 3 couplers to link cabling (I had a lot of random distances of RG6 so I coupled the them together.
When we plug it into our computer that we use to stream, I am unable to get any video feed. We currently use 1 camcorder and another PTZ camera so we copied all of the settings in our video program for one PTZ camera to the other and we still cannot get a picture.
I want to start trouble shooting, but have no idea how.

My thoughts for no picture are :
- possible distance is too long for RG6?
- I did not attach the coupler connections correctly

I had the idea to try and test the signal coming out of the camera at every coupler point (that would be 150 feet, 350 feet, 400 feet, and then the final BNC connector that plugs into our computer.

I tried to look on Amazon, but could not find what I thought I needed. What would be the best way to troubleshoot this?

Thank you - Jordan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Where to start...

Have you plugged the camera directly into the computer video input to eliminate the long cable as the issue?

Why RG-6? I would think you would have used IP cameras.

The key to diagnosis is to break down the system into the simplest pieces to isolate where the trouble is.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan scheiner View Post
Hi All,
I apologize if this is in the wrong section.
I work at a 3000 seat baseball stadium and have a question about a video setup.
I am trying to add a PTZ camera in centerfield to add a 'Centerfield' angle like you see on TV. The press box is behind home plate, and the distance of the RG6 cabling is approximately 600 feet from the where the camera is mounted to the input in the press box.

I ran the RG6 myself, and put in a total of 3 couplers to link cabling (I had a lot of random distances of RG6 so I coupled the them together.
When we plug it into our computer that we use to stream, I am unable to get any video feed. We currently use 1 camcorder and another PTZ camera so we copied all of the settings in our video program for one PTZ camera to the other and we still cannot get a picture.
I want to start trouble shooting, but have no idea how.

My thoughts for no picture are :
- possible distance is too long for RG6?
- I did not attach the coupler connections correctly

I had the idea to try and test the signal coming out of the camera at every coupler point (that would be 150 feet, 350 feet, 400 feet, and then the final BNC connector that plugs into our computer.

I tried to look on Amazon, but could not find what I thought I needed. What would be the best way to troubleshoot this?

Thank you - Jordan.
Just my 2 cents, I think the 3 couplers could be an issue. First I would connect the camera directly to the board to make sure it works. Then if you have easy access I would try before and after EACH couple down the line. You could have a bad run somewhere, you could have a bad coupler. Generally speaking with ANY long run like that you want as FEW breaks as possible. Each break adds a new point of failure down the line. Best case if you must use the camera you have and can't go with an IP camera, I would look to just buy cable in bulk and if you can't terminate yourself get someone to terminate for you. you can get 1000ft spools of Cat5e for about $60
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 156
PTZ Camera model might help

Power also running 600 feet?

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #5 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 09:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liffie420 View Post
Just my 2 cents, I think the 3 couplers could be an issue. First I would connect the camera directly to the board to make sure it works. Then if you have easy access I would try before and after EACH couple down the line. You could have a bad run somewhere, you could have a bad coupler. Generally speaking with ANY long run like that you want as FEW breaks as possible. Each break adds a new point of failure down the line. Best case if you must use the camera you have and can't go with an IP camera, I would look to just buy cable in bulk and if you can't terminate yourself get someone to terminate for you. you can get 1000ft spools of Cat5e for about $60
Thank you for the response.
I think I have a full big spool of RG6 left which I could measure out to that distance and cut and put a BNC on each side, then plug one side into the camera and one side into the computer to see if that fixes the problem. I feel stupid because I ran all of the wiring first BEFORE testing it (I should have linked all of the cabling together and tested it in the press box before laying it all out).

I do know the camera works as we used it a few days ago in game (both PTZ cameras are the same so we swap them in and out).

It would be a pain for my to connect the camera to each coupler because the camera is a BNC type and the couplers are not.
Is there a tool I can get to test the signal strength? I was going to do that at every coupler...
It's also possible I put on the BNC connector incorrectly on camera end, but I am not quite sure how to diagnose that either.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-08-2019, 11:42 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thank you for the response.
I think I have a full big spool of RG6 left which I could measure out to that distance and cut and put a BNC on each side, then plug one side into the camera and one side into the computer to see if that fixes the problem. I feel stupid because I ran all of the wiring first BEFORE testing it (I should have linked all of the cabling together and tested it in the press box before laying it all out).

I do know the camera works as we used it a few days ago in game (both PTZ cameras are the same so we swap them in and out).

It would be a pain for my to connect the camera to each coupler because the camera is a BNC type and the couplers are not.
Is there a tool I can get to test the signal strength? I was going to do that at every coupler...
It's also possible I put on the BNC connector incorrectly on camera end, but I am not quite sure how to diagnose that either.
What is the model of the PTZ camera you are using? Is it a composite, SDI, HD SDI video feed? There are distance limitation with SDI to be aware of, most are around 300ft.

You can get a basic coax continuity tester from most hardware stores for relatively cheap, resistance meters are going to be more expensive.

SBTS-Inc.com
- Certified Crestron Master Programmer and DM T-4K, D-4K, E-4K, DM-NVX Certifications.
- RTI Programmer/ Driver Developer
- Rational Acoustics Smaart Certified
- QSC QSYS Lvl 2 Certified Programmer
post #7 of 11 Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurorad View Post
PTZ Camera model might help

Power also running 600 feet?
Is the power outlet working, in the outfield?

----------------------------------------------
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

Give a monkey a brain and he'll swear he's the center of the universe. -Fishbone
post #8 of 11 Old 07-09-2019, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

The camera is getting continuous power in the outfield.
I would assume it would start projecting the signal as soon as it is plugged on like the other PTZ camera. It is a Sony SRG300H. I have a lot of cable left, I might just re run a new line with no couplers and see if I can get a feed. That is unless it is determined that the line distance is too great for the camera...
Thanks!
post #9 of 11 Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked: 988
Quote:
I would assume it would start projecting the signal as soon as it is plugged on like the other PTZ camera. It is a Sony SRG300H. I have a lot of cable left, I might just re run a new line with no couplers and see if I can get a feed. That is unless it is determined that the line distance is too great for the camera...
Thanks!
Is the camera power source local at the camera or does the power come down the coax? If the latter, that could be the problem especially if you used copper clad steel RG6. Too much resistance.
post #10 of 11 Old 07-18-2019, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Thanks!
The spec on this camera says it is HDMI output only, how are you converting this to Coax? Here you using an HDMI to SD converter?
AV_Integrated likes this.

SBTS-Inc.com
- Certified Crestron Master Programmer and DM T-4K, D-4K, E-4K, DM-NVX Certifications.
- RTI Programmer/ Driver Developer
- Rational Acoustics Smaart Certified
- QSC QSYS Lvl 2 Certified Programmer
post #11 of 11 Old 07-24-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarnesvta View Post
The spec on this camera says it is HDMI output only, how are you converting this to Coax? Here you using an HDMI to SD converter?
This is the first thing that jumped out to me as well...

https://pro.sony/en_FI/products/ptz-...Block-srg-300h

From their page, this camera specifies video output as HDMI with no SDI and no claim of SDTV output either.

I would expect HD-SDI to be the broadcast standard which would be in use, and I would expect the distance to be quite an issue.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page