1Likes
  • 1 Post By Joe Fernand

post #1 of 10 Old 07-10-2019, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Do I need a Matrix?

I'm in the process of getting my house setup for automation / AV streaming.
I currently have a rack in the garage for the equipment, a projector in my theatre room, a TV in the bedroom and another TV in the children's activity room.

I was planning to buy a 6x6 Control4 Matrix to send the AV signals from my rack around the home, but given the cost involved I'm reconsidering if this is truly worth it.
I currently have a Yamaha AV Receiver RX-V1081 model and was trying to understand the capabilities of the two zone HDMI it offers.

When I spoke to the installer, they informed me that the AV Receiver could only receive the signal from one of the 8 inputs and send it to one of the 2 outputs and that I'd need a Matrix to do anything much more than that. But from what I have read online it doesn't sound like this is exactly correct though it's hard to find the exact answer I'm looking for.

I'm trying to clarify which of the following is correct...
1. I can send the signal from two different HDMI inputs, to two different HDMI outputs (show a different images on two screens)
2. I can send the signal from one HDMI inputs to both HDMI outputs simultaneously (show the same image on two screens)
3. I can send the signal from one HDMI input to one HDMI output (show the one image on one screen, which is what the installer has told me).

If the situation is either 1 or 2, I'm probably just not going to bother with a Matrix. The cost of the Matrix is over $6,000 AUD including installation, and I noticed the Control4 Matrix does not do [email protected] 4:4:4 which is disappointing. Assuming my AV Receiver can only do what they tell me (3. above) I'm also wondering are there any other AV Receivers that can? Given I'm going to have to spend $6000 AUD on a Matrix, I'd much rather pour this money into an AV Receiver that can solve the problem and give me a Receiver upgrade at the same time, even if it only has 2 or 3 HDMI outputs.

Any help would be much appreciated, I'm a newb when it comes to AV streaming solutions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-10-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 336
What are the Source devices you believe you need to Centralise and Share?

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-10-2019, 04:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
What are the Source devices you believe you need to Centralise and Share?

Joe
The devices I have/am planning to have in the rack are...

1. Nvidia Shield (for Plex client)
2. Fetch TV
3. Xbox One X (for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback)

The reason I'm considering dropping the matrix switch is there's really only two rooms at the moment that I care about, the theatre room and our bedroom. The children's activity room would be nice but is not essential. Our TV has Netflix and a Plex app so I don't strictly need the Rack gear for that, it would just allow me to use the Fetch TV and Xbox One X in the bedroom.

I had a bit more of a look at the documentation for my AV Receiver, and it seems to indicate that it can output to both HDMIs simultaneously, but only from one input. Which is probably fine, as it's not very common we'd use both the Theatre and Bedroom TV as the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-10-2019, 05:51 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I have C4 too with a Matrix - not the C4 Matrix, but I use VideoStorm Netplay.

Either way - only get a matrix if:

1) you want to declutter and not have cable boxes under all the TVs (if you are going cable box route)
2) you want to sync tvs across the house playing the same content at the same exact second

If you could care less about those two items, the need for a matrix gets cut way down. A few other lesser important things to consider

1) If you have a ton of Tvs and streaming sticks behind them all - constantly updating firmware, updating passwords, new apps, links, etc becomes a small job unto itself. If you get a matrix you only have to juggle a few vs potentially dozens
2) I share content on the screen - such as when my laundry is done I'll get a push notice on the TV if a TV is on, when someone rings the front door if a TV is on you see the feed via Picture in Picture and lastly if my alarm goes off between 10pm and 8am the master bedroom TV goes on and in a 3x3 grid I see my 9 cameras.

So its really up to you and how you want to use the system today and grow into the system. Sometimes you need to look past the obviously and more to my last point about cool uses of a matrix which may or may not have any interest to you.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-10-2019, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezlotogura View Post
I have C4 too with a Matrix - not the C4 Matrix, but I use VideoStorm Netplay.

Either way - only get a matrix if:

1) you want to declutter and not have cable boxes under all the TVs (if you are going cable box route)

2) you want to sync tvs across the house playing the same content at the same exact second

If you could care less about those two items, the need for a matrix gets cut way down. A few other lesser important things to consider

1) If you have a ton of Tvs and streaming sticks behind them all - constantly updating firmware, updating passwords, new apps, links, etc becomes a small job unto itself. If you get a matrix you only have to juggle a few vs potentially dozens

2) I share content on the screen - such as when my laundry is done I'll get a push notice on the TV if a TV is on, when someone rings the front door if a TV is on you see the feed via Picture in Picture and lastly if my alarm goes off between 10pm and 8am the master bedroom TV goes on and in a 3x3 grid I see my 9 cameras.

So its really up to you and how you want to use the system today and grow into the system. Sometimes you need to look past the obviously and more to my last point about cool uses of a matrix which may or may not have any interest to you.

You may want to consider IP based distribution. For example , Crestron NVX just released a residential version that is priced much better compared to existing IP stuff and the older matrix technology. You basically buy them individually for whatever sources and destination TV you want. So much more scalable. And it’s 4K 4:4:4 hdr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 10 Old 07-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by blake View Post
You may want to consider IP based distribution. For example , Crestron NVX just released a residential version that is priced much better compared to existing IP stuff and the older matrix technology. You basically buy them individually for whatever sources and destination TV you want. So much more scalable. And it’s 4K 4:4:4 hdr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
probably meant to quote the OP - Videostorm is IP based and modular and I agree, it is a better way to go vs a fixed AxB HDbaseT matrix. But he has C4, so not sure the Crestron NVX will be helpful - there are IP solutions from Videostorm, Snap and others that work with C4.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 06:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizmox View Post
The devices I have/am planning to have in the rack are...

1. Nvidia Shield (for Plex client)
2. Fetch TV
3. Xbox One X (for Ultra HD Blu-ray playback)

The reason I'm considering dropping the matrix switch is there's really only two rooms at the moment that I care about, the theatre room and our bedroom. The children's activity room would be nice but is not essential. Our TV has Netflix and a Plex app so I don't strictly need the Rack gear for that, it would just allow me to use the Fetch TV and Xbox One X in the bedroom.

I had a bit more of a look at the documentation for my AV Receiver, and it seems to indicate that it can output to both HDMIs simultaneously, but only from one input. Which is probably fine, as it's not very common we'd use both the Theatre and Bedroom TV as the same time.
In that situation, I'd probably not go a Matrix route right now. If you only have two rooms you're really concerned with, and only have 3 sources.

Where it can eventually come in handy is when you have more TV's the people in the house, and want to provide individual sources for each individual in the house.
post #8 of 10 Old 07-11-2019, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it. It seems like it's just not worth it from now. Reading through the manual it seems pretty likely that...
"2. I can send the signal from one HDMI inputs to both HDMI outputs simultaneously (show the same image on two screens)"
is what I can achieve, and with only three TVs in the house this is probably all I really need.

It seems like if i do end up getting one I should get one with HDBaseT support, since a bunch of the ports around my house are ethernet only with no HDMI cable run.

Cheers
Simon
post #9 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 05:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Don't forget that HDBaseT is not ethernet. ie: don't plug HDBaseT into your computer LAN.
The wires and connectors are same.
wiring: HDMI source > HDMI cable > HDBaseT transmitter > CAT6 cable > HDBaseT receiver > HDMI cable > HDMI TV
post #10 of 10 Old 07-12-2019, 09:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 336
6x6 'Fixed' Matrix - would seem to be way out of line with your requirement.

UHD over LAN - can be achieved on a reasonable budget (they tend to be most cost effective on larger systems) though again possibly overkill for your requirement. See link to Octava Inc in my sig.

AVR as a Matrix - you have to ensure it will deliver what you require, that second HDMI Output may mean you have to limit the Source device to 2.0 audio, non-HDR, 8-Bit etc (which may not be ideal for your primary Zone) depending on the capabilities of the connected TV in Zone 2 and any 'conversion' the AVR offers on Zone 2 HDMI Out.

With a two or three Zone system you may find 'stand alone' is far simpler.

Joe
Postmoderndesign likes this.

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page