Outdoor speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Outdoor speakers

I am currently running all the low voltage in my new house before we do the insulation and Sheetrock. I have an outdoor tv and 2 outdoor speakers. I want to use both speakers to play audio from the tv and also music via Bluetooth. I’m looking for recommendations for connecting my outdoor tv with the 2 outdoor speakers to an av receiver and best location for it. I have thought of running the speaker wire inside my house where I can place my AV receiver. But with this setup I will need about a 40ft hdmi cable to run from the AV receiver to outdoor tv. Would it be best to run 2 CAT6 cables from receiver to outdoor tv and use hdmi over CAT6 converters? I assume I will also need IR repeaters for the remote to work outside as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked: 1171
Typically you'd want a bluetooth capable AVR (or one with a bluetooth receiver added to an input) placed near the TV. Other approaches get complicated.

You didn't mention what type of TV service you will be using. If you are streaming you could, for example, connect a FIRETV stick (or Roku) to the TV, the run TV output to an Amp and then to speakers. There are ways to stream music through those streaming sticks, or add music apps and just do it that way., Consider getting a simple amp cheap off of Craigslist so you don't have to worry so much about it.

Not having the devices together either brings remote control challenges or wiring challenges.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-13-2019 at 04:13 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 04:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked: 527
With just a DTV and Speakers outdoors [and issue of HOW do you control Volume Level of Indoor AVR], you might want to give consideration to adding an Outdoor Amplifier [with R/C and Bluetooth Receiver] to drive the Speakers, with Input from DTV's Optical Output [which likely WILL, BUT May NOT pass thru audio from HDMI Inputs to DTV....depending on the TV....and if it DOES Pass Thru, it MAY or may NOT be forced to STEREO, same as DTV would request from HDMI Source]. A single HDMI Extender (whether CAT-6 or Wireless) could be used for Outdoor Amplifier's Input from HDMI Output of AVR [could be via 2-Way HDMI Splitter or Zone2 HDMI Output]....of course this means you would need to control TWO Volume Controls....one for AVR to set it's Output Level and another on the Outdoor Amplifier.

Alternatively, you COULD use an HDMI Matrix to select which of several HDMI Inputs goes to the Indoor DTV + Amplifier and which of several HDMI Inputs goes to the Outdoor DTV + Amplifier.....meaning you only would need to control the Output Volume Control. You MIGHT only need one HDMI Extenders (Cat-6 or Wireless) from the Matrix to DTV's HDMI Input and Optical of DTV to Amp....or TWO Extenders from Matrix if DTV does NOT pass-thru Audio to Optical for HDMI Inputs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

My cable provider is directv. I only foresee our outdoor tv being used for football games, so no streaming needed. I can locate a directv mini box behind the outdoor tv just fine. I just want to be able to play the tv audio through the outdoor speakers at times and the only option I could think of would be to locate a Av receiver indoors and dedicate it strictly for my outdoor speakers and tv
post #5 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Okcff2519 View Post
I am currently running all the low voltage in my new house before we do the insulation and Sheetrock. I have an outdoor tv and 2 outdoor speakers. I want to use both speakers to play audio from the tv and also music via Bluetooth. I’m looking for recommendations for connecting my outdoor tv with the 2 outdoor speakers to an av receiver and best location for it. I have thought of running the speaker wire inside my house where I can place my AV receiver. But with this setup I will need about a 40ft hdmi cable to run from the AV receiver to outdoor tv. Would it be best to run 2 CAT6 cables from receiver to outdoor tv and use hdmi over CAT6 converters? I assume I will also need IR repeaters for the remote to work outside as well
Don't let everyone get all techie on you. The answer to your question is yes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #6 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My cable provider is directv. I only foresee our outdoor tv being used for football games, so no streaming needed. I can locate a directv mini box behind the outdoor tv just fine. I just want to be able to play the tv audio through the outdoor speakers at times and the only option I could think of would be to locate a Av receiver indoors and dedicate it strictly for my outdoor speakers and tv

In that case you can run audio cables from the audio output on the TV to the AVR wherever you decide to locate it, then from there output to the speakers. No need to run HDMI since that box will be at the TV.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-13-2019, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
Quote:

In that case you can run audio cables from the audio output on the TV to the AVR wherever you decide to locate it, then from there output to the speakers. No need to run HDMI since that box will be at the TV.
Can I use a digital optical audio cable for connecting the two?
post #8 of 8 Old 07-14-2019, 04:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Can I use a digital optical audio cable for connecting the two?

Sure, obviously if the TV has optical out. I think they can run quite long and do fine, hopefully its under 50ft and you shouldn't need to worry. If it were me, I'd still consider pulling audio cables as well, just in case the optical cable goes bad. The connectors on optical cables if damaged and may be hard to repair, or you may have a future TV without optical out. Get something robust and/or maybe use a TOSLink wall plate at either end.

Last edited by DanPackMan; 07-14-2019 at 04:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page