Anybody have experience with the cheap 8x8 HDMI Matrix (18 Gbps) switches? (Alibaba) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anybody have experience with the cheap 8x8 HDMI Matrix (18 Gbps) switches? (Alibaba)

Does anybody have any experience with the cheap 18 Gbps / 8x8 HDMI matrices from Alibaba/Aliexpress?

Some of them are as low as $500 for an 8x8, 18 Gbps HDMI matrix which is very cheap. The Gefen 600 MHz 4x4 HDMI Matrix is around $1000 and that's only 4x4. The Gefen doesn't even seem to support any additional features over the cheap matrix either.

I also don't need upscaling or downscaling. I just need lots of inputs and outputs, but only one output enabled at a time. (so the source devices will adjust output based on current sink device)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Cheap + HDMI = disaster

I had a monoprice HDMI Matrix - went through 2 of them in about 14 months and just gave up on it.

I am using IP distribution now using Video Storm Netplay. Rock solid - maybe 1 reboot a year, going on 4+ years. Its IP so modular, makes it easy to grow over time, swap out parts where needed, etc. Does not have 18 Gbps right now but heck there is no content on the near horizon that can handle it and when its there, you may have 1 or 2 rooms/sources with that ability and with an IP approach you can just upgrade those end points, not the entire system

Food for thought.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks very much for the information.

I've always been interested in Video Storm Netplay but I'm a little confused on the product. Are they just HDMI to H.264 encoders and decoders? It looks like they are generic (?) devices and their website even links to AliExpress.

Also, what is the latency like especially for playing games?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-16-2019, 12:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofakng View Post
Thanks very much for the information.

I've always been interested in Video Storm Netplay but I'm a little confused on the product. Are they just HDMI to H.264 encoders and decoders? It looks like they are generic (?) devices and their website even links to AliExpress.

Also, what is the latency like especially for playing games?
I would not trust any matrix with serious gaming.

Yes Netplay has encoders/decoders at H.264 though I think some also do H.265. They have their own hardware sold via dealers (Netplay Pro) but you can buy their suggested products via the DIY Option called NetPlay home. Netplay home has a few less features - but those features are mostly around commercial applications (signage, multiwall/tv formats, etc).

For regular TV Viewing its fine. I have 1 4k TV in my house, I have a local shield TV for it, otherwise all sources are via my Netplay matrix. I cut the cord, use a mix of devices for Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, 1 shared Blu Ray player, etc. works for me. When more 4k content is available and I update the other TVs I can update the encoders. Right now even 4k content is light - I mostly watch sports and dumb comedies and in those genres 4k is just about non-existent.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-18-2019, 02:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 342
'(so the source devices will adjust output based on current sink device)' - a simple sounding requirement which is often a nightmare to actually achieve.

What is the configuration/connectivity you are planning?

Matrix, no matter the cost, are not always plain sailing.

Firmware (not hardware) is often the key differentiator between devices, as you say they all seem to 'just' be this or that!

Gaming is never going to work via a 'over...' Matrix for the folk playing the game - you can use an 'over...' Matrix to show Gaming in a sports bar or live event type scenario to a viewing audience, we, Octava Inc, have a few customers who use our UHD over LAN system in that way.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page