1Likes
  • 1 Post By smoothtlk

post #1 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Transferring HDMI

I am building a new house and would like to use my one direct tv box for three other rooms because we will never be in those other rooms at the same time and need to watch different programming. The distance from the these rooms to the central box are all under 50 feet each what is my best options for wiring this? Is it cat 6 or 7? With transmitters on both sides. Do those cables need to be run in a particular conduit to prevent interference. I have also see fiber optic HDMI cords don’t know if those are an alternative now. I want to do this right while I am building so I don’t have to go back after the fact and change anything so specific details would be greatly appreciated.
Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedirt08 View Post
I am building a new house and would like to use my one direct tv box for three other rooms because we will never be in those other rooms at the same time and need to watch different programming. The distance from the these rooms to the central box are all under 50 feet each what is my best options for wiring this? Is it cat 6 or 7? With transmitters on both sides. Do those cables need to be run in a particular conduit to prevent interference. I have also see fiber optic HDMI cords don’t know if those are an alternative now. I want to do this right while I am building so I don’t have to go back after the fact and change anything so specific details would be greatly appreciated.
Joe
First off, you might check the master DirecTV thread to find out how your model box handles multiple displays and/or HDMI splitters. The make and model of display might have an effect as well. Some handle copy-protection differently than others. I can run four Sony displays off of my D* tuner, but as soon as I introduce a Samsung, they all go out. Remove the splitter and the Samsung plays normally.

50-feet is certainly doable with an HDMI cable and a powered splitter/amp. I had one DirecTV tuner in my Detroit basement feeding the display above it, one in my office 50 feet away and one in the kitchen some 75 feet away. Worked just fine and since the tuner works with RF remotes, it was simple to put a remote in every room.

Just my .02.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDon View Post
First off, you might check the master DirecTV thread to find out how your model box handles multiple displays and/or HDMI splitters. The make and model of display might have an effect as well. Some handle copy-protection differently than others. I can run four Sony displays off of my D* tuner, but as soon as I introduce a Samsung, they all go out. Remove the splitter and the Samsung plays normally.

50-feet is certainly doable with an HDMI cable and a powered splitter/amp. I had one DirecTV tuner in my Detroit basement feeding the display above it, one in my office 50 feet away and one in the kitchen some 75 feet away. Worked just fine and since the tuner works with RF remotes, it was simple to put a remote in every room.

Just my .02.

Have you tried to run a small 1x2 splitter first, then split off to all of your sonys and samsungs. The first splitter may act as a hdcp stripper, allowing all of them to work at once.

Id be curious to see if this works in your situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 2235 Post(s)
Liked: 4211
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
Have you tried to run a small 1x2 splitter first, then split off to all of your sonys and samsungs. The first splitter may act as a hdcp stripper, allowing all of them to work at once.

Id be curious to see if this works in your situation.
Yep. So long as it's only the old Sony and/or Vizio 1080i/p sets, it works. Put my 2-year-old Samsung 1080p on either one of the outputs and the DirecTV receiver shuts off the port. Or the picture goes dark for 1 second every ten seconds.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-21-2019, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

I have the HR44 I have been able to us a HDMI splitter before with it, on a Samsung and lg tv.
post #6 of 11 Old 07-22-2019, 01:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 616 Post(s)
Liked: 340
HDMI over CAT and Fibre HDMI (preferably Hybrid Fibre) are both options for you to consider.

HDMI over CAT can be achieved using solid core, non-CCA, CAT6 to each location and in many systems the central 'HUB' will deliver power, video, audio and IR return over a single CAT cable to a PoE Receiver unit in each Zone.

HDMI over Hybrid Fibre is achieved by using a suitable multi-output Distribution Amp plus a long HDMI cable to each Zone.

Conduit is ideal for CAT or Hybrid Fibre if there is any chance of you potentially damaging an installed cable whilst other works are ongoing.

Empty conduit with a an internal pull cord is ideal running alongside an installed cable as a backup should you ever have to pull in new cables.

Whichever way you go plan for the day when the installed cable fails, is damaged or becomes obsolete.

HDMI over CAT can be HD or UHD - the UHD options currently have to use some form of 'visually lossless' compression, there is a new generation of kit on the way which will offer compression free UHD.

Hybrid Fibre is compression free.

As others point out the Source device and connected Display devices plus an AVR or Soundbar you have in the system all play a part on the reliability of the system.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #7 of 11 Old 07-27-2019, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

So I need to run conduit for either the hdmi or Cat6 ? Which conduit would you recommend ? Would you run cat6 or hdmi if it was you Joe?
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
HDMI over CAT and Fibre HDMI (preferably Hybrid Fibre) are both options for you to consider.

HDMI over CAT can be achieved using solid core, non-CCA, CAT6 to each location and in many systems the central 'HUB' will deliver power, video, audio and IR return over a single CAT cable to a PoE Receiver unit in each Zone.

HDMI over Hybrid Fibre is achieved by using a suitable multi-output Distribution Amp plus a long HDMI cable to each Zone.

Conduit is ideal for CAT or Hybrid Fibre if there is any chance of you potentially damaging an installed cable whilst other works are ongoing.

Empty conduit with a an internal pull cord is ideal running alongside an installed cable as a backup should you ever have to pull in new cables.

Whichever way you go plan for the day when the installed cable fails, is damaged or becomes obsolete.

HDMI over CAT can be HD or UHD - the UHD options currently have to use some form of 'visually lossless' compression, there is a new generation of kit on the way which will offer compression free UHD.

Hybrid Fibre is compression free.

As others point out the Source device and connected Display devices plus an AVR or Soundbar you have in the system all play a part on the reliability of the system.

Joe

So I need to run conduit for either the hdmi or Cat6 ? Which conduit would you recommend ? Would you run cat6 or hdmi if it was you Joe?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2019, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 86
You do not need to run conduit for either. The optional (and smart) conduit is for any future wire to be run. Just install the conduit with a pull cable next to the Cat6 and HDMI cables and seal the walls up.
Joe Fernand likes this.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-09-2019, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1564 Post(s)
Liked: 1158
If you run conduit, look for Carlon 1.25" flexible raceway. That size is large enough to fit a HDMI cable through nicely.

https://www.cableorganizer.com/carlo...e-raceway.html

Use long sweeps on this to ensure that the cable doesn't get stuck or have a sharp bend to have to fit around. Usually, this isn't an issue.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-09-2019, 04:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3336 Post(s)
Liked: 2398
+1

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page