Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 07-22-2019, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 27
General layout

Hey guys,

still building our home at the moment, should be ready to move into in December, but I want to foresee now all necessary cables before the drywall is installed. I have a general idea after reading a lot here (and youtubing), but just wanted to get things checked here before I order maybe obsolete equipment.

So, I bought an Optoma UHD65 which will be hung from the ceiling in the living room (which can be blacked out completely), and will be projecting on the wall for the first couple of weeks/months, distance to the wall will be about 15ft. Audio will be a mix of brands into a 5.1 setup, receiver will be in the middle and below the screen. I will probably get an nVidia Shield attached to a NAS.

Now I don't seem to find a good solution for connecting the nVidia Shield to the projector, as I need appx. 30ft of cable, taking 4K/60 HDR10 most of the time. So here comes the main question: is the best option to put the nVidia Shield close to the receiver using a standard HDMI cable, and then go from the receiver to the projector with an HDMI fiber cable (bc of the distance) ? Ofc I want to avoid the expensive HDMI cable if possible, but image quality is prio 1, so I'm not willing to sacrifice quality for cost. I'm reading that HDMI extension over CAT is not a good solution for 4K60HDR, correct ?

For audio cables, I chose the below ones, they will be driving Klipsch RP-6000F's, RP-600M's and an RP-504C from a Denon AVR-X2600H. Are these cables OK ?
https://doublepoint.nl/oehlbach-sp-2...-5-mm-30-meter

Thanks for the advice (love this forum by the way).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jorisdriesen View Post
Hey guys,

still building our home at the moment, should be ready to move into in December, but I want to foresee now all necessary cables before the drywall is installed. I have a general idea after reading a lot here (and youtubing), but just wanted to get things checked here before I order maybe obsolete equipment.

So, I bought an Optoma UHD65 which will be hung from the ceiling in the living room (which can be blacked out completely), and will be projecting on the wall for the first couple of weeks/months, distance to the wall will be about 15ft. Audio will be a mix of brands into a 5.1 setup, receiver will be in the middle and below the screen. I will probably get an nVidia Shield attached to a NAS.

Now I don't seem to find a good solution for connecting the nVidia Shield to the projector, as I need appx. 30ft of cable, taking 4K/60 HDR10 most of the time. So here comes the main question: is the best option to put the nVidia Shield close to the receiver using a standard HDMI cable, and then go from the receiver to the projector with an HDMI fiber cable (bc of the distance) ? Ofc I want to avoid the expensive HDMI cable if possible, but image quality is prio 1, so I'm not willing to sacrifice quality for cost. I'm reading that HDMI extension over CAT is not a good solution for 4K60HDR, correct ?

For audio cables, I chose the below ones, they will be driving Klipsch RP-6000F's, RP-600M's and an RP-504C from a Denon AVR-X2600H. Are these cables OK ?
https://doublepoint.nl/oehlbach-sp-2...-5-mm-30-meter

Thanks for the advice (love this forum by the way).
I would go with the fiber HDMI or an active one like the Monoprice Cabernet. The active HDMI cables are pretty beefy so keep an eye on any bends or turns you have, you need to accommodate a decent radius - you won’t be able to just bend it to a 45 deg angle. If you have the time and ability, get you cable and test it out before it is installed to make sure you don’t end up with a handshake issue after the drywall is up.

I would also run at least two CAT6 and an unterminated fiber to hedge for the future too.
post #3 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 06:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Use CAT6A "Cat6a supports bandwidth frequencies of up to 500 MHz, twice the amount of Cat6 cable, and can also support 10Gbps like its predecessor. However, unlike Cat6 cabling, Cat6a can support 10 Gigabit Ethernet at 100 meters. [Cat6 cabling on the other hand, can transmit the same speeds at up to 37 meters.]"
https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/Levi...uiresCat6A.pdf
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...l#post58294182
However, I have read contradictory information about cat6a handling 18GBPS so I recommend further research.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 07-24-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 07-24-2019, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1645 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
RUN CONDUIT!

There are a number of things that I would consider in your setup and make sure are done.

First, I wouldn't put the receiver or any gear right under the screen. "Look at all the flashing lights!!!" No, equipment should be hidden or off to the side as to not distract from the on screen image if at all possible. Even remote locating in a closet is nice. Then run some cat-6 below the screen for an IR repeater, or something else if you need it there.

Make sure to run conduit from the equipment location to the projector location. That way you can replace the HDMI cable when (not if) it fails or becomes obsolete.

14/2 or 14/4 speaker wire to all speaker locations except the subwoofer which gets coaxial cable.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 07-25-2019, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Use CAT6A "Cat6a supports bandwidth frequencies of up to 500 MHz, twice the amount of Cat6 cable, and can also support 10Gbps like its predecessor. However, unlike Cat6 cabling, Cat6a can support 10 Gigabit Ethernet at 100 meters. [Cat6 cabling on the other hand, can transmit the same speeds at up to 37 meters.]"
https://www.leviton.com/en/docs/Levi...uiresCat6A.pdf
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/168-h...l#post58294182
However, I have read contradictory information about cat6a handling 18GBPS so I recommend further research.
I have been trying to figure out how Cat6A can transmit 18 GBPS over a cable rated at 10 GBPS If I am understanding correctly Cat6A has a return channel and Cat6A is bidirectional. So the return channel is used for extra capacity
Also from 2017 an Altona post on 4K 4:4:4 HDR
I invite others to comment on this post.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page