HDMI extension cable options - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
HDMI extension cable options

Built my basic home theatre setup without conduit but ran 2 active 4K HDMI wires from the source to the tv about 30 feet of cable away.

Unfortunately the HDMI cords are a little too short as the TVs ports are not centered in the back. I am less than a foot short and have no more play.

So what kind of repeater or HDMI extension cable will work with active HDMI?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked: 2508
It's unfortunate that you didn't run conduit because cable requirements are going to be changing again once HDMI 2.1 becomes commonplace, and if your active cable ever fails, or the chipsets need to be upgraded..... The ONLY way to future proof cabling is with the use of a conduit.

Active cables should not be daisy-chained together because that can result in issues with the power requirements and the fact that you have now introduced a "break" in the continuity of the cable. Some active cable mfrs actually recommend that you don't daisy chain them together. Reliable 4k HDR should always be a single cable run from source to sink. There are any number of active extenders that work very well with passive cables but using then with active cables may be, and probably will be over time, problematic. All you can do is try.

As a side note, for 4k HDR runs over 20', the recommendation is to use Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables. Hybrid fiber cables are active but have an excellent bend radius so you could use one a bit longer than you need and not have to worry about placing undue strain on the HDMI input because of the weight of the cable or the tightness of fit.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

Ok thanks, what would you recommend I try?
We are selling the house and I’ll be going all in for the next basement. Sucks they are slightly short but need a solution
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

If it helps I also have a cat6a cable running the same span. Was going to run internet to tv through that but could it be used somehow for HDMI?
post #5 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce55 View Post
If it helps I also have a cat6a cable running the same span. Was going to run internet to tv through that but could it be used somehow for HDMI?
What kind of CAT-6 cable? Solid core CAT-6 is a possibility, terminated with HDBT unless the cable is a "regular" CAT-6 cable (ethernet patch cable). That may work for 1080p but you will probably have issues with 4k HDR until the new chipsets are available. It's up to you on how you want to market your house.

post #6 of 16 Old 07-26-2019, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 83
post #7 of 16 Old 07-27-2019, 12:01 PM

That's for use with a passive, AWG24 cable (which is fairly thick but necessary) "up to" 45', and you need an external power source.

post #8 of 16 Old 07-27-2019, 03:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Would still be easy to call them to see if it, or something else, would work.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #9 of 16 Old 08-01-2019, 05:45 PM

You can call them but all they are going to do is try to sell your their product.

post #10 of 16 Old 08-06-2019, 02:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 342
'So what kind of repeater or HDMI extension cable will work with active HDMI?' - pretty much any HDMI Female to Male short extender ought to be OK with HD (1080p), if you want to pass 4K UHD (2160P) that may be a tricker proposal.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-04-2019, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the long delay, was out of the country

Otto - Here are the specs of the cat6a I purchased

Monoprice Cat6A Ethernet Patch Cable - Snagless RJ45, Stranded, 550Mhz, STP, Pure Bare Copper Wire, 10G, 26AWG, 20ft, Blue
As long as the picture is 1080p that's enough

Joe - I was going to purchase this to try...
Monoprice DynamicView Ultra 8K High Speed HDMI Extension Cable, 48Gbps, 8K, Dynamic HDR, eARC, 1.5ft Black

Hoping that would work to extend HDMI?
post #12 of 16 Old 09-06-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
These guys make a solid claim for support of full 18Gb/s HDMI up to 230' over cat6 cable. It may be significantly less than that distance, but should work if their claims are true.

https://www.amazon.com/HDbaseT-Exten...s%2C123&sr=8-5

The price is solid for the product as well.

Not sure if any HDMI extenders will work with full 18Gb/s HDMI if the active cables aren't long enough.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #13 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 12:19 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotsauce55 View Post
Built my basic home theatre setup without conduit but ran 2 active 4K HDMI wires from the source to the tv about 30 feet of cable away.

Unfortunately the HDMI cords are a little too short as the TVs ports are not centered in the back. I am less than a foot short and have no more play.

So what kind of repeater or HDMI extension cable will work with active HDMI?
I would suggest getting a HDMI F-F coupler and trying to add that foot or two ON THE SOURCE side (the majority of solutions I've seen get their power from the sink side). Probably won't cost more than $10 total to try out unless it burns out your active cable somehow.
post #14 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
It's unfortunate that you didn't run conduit because cable requirements are going to be changing again once HDMI 2.1 becomes commonplace, and if your active cable ever fails, or the chipsets need to be upgraded..... The ONLY way to future proof cabling is with the use of a conduit.

Active cables should not be daisy-chained together because that can result in issues with the power requirements and the fact that you have now introduced a "break" in the continuity of the cable. Some active cable mfrs actually recommend that you don't daisy chain them together. Reliable 4k HDR should always be a single cable run from source to sink. There are any number of active extenders that work very well with passive cables but using then with active cables may be, and probably will be over time, problematic. All you can do is try.

As a side note, for 4k HDR runs over 20', the recommendation is to use Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables. Hybrid fiber cables are active but have an excellent bend radius so you could use one a bit longer than you need and not have to worry about placing undue strain on the HDMI input because of the weight of the cable or the tightness of fit.
Several Active/Fiber cables say that they won't work if the cable is running from source to a receiver. Are these Ruipro's any different? Do you have personal experience with them?
post #15 of 16 Old 09-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateX View Post
Several Active/Fiber cables say that they won't work if the cable is running from source to a receiver. Are these Ruipro's any different? Do you have personal experience with them?
That is exactly how active cables, copper or fiber-based are used, so that is not true. The receiver, in that case, would be the sink instead of the tv. I've tested and used MediaBridge copper-based active cables, from source (blu-ray player, ATV4) to the receiver, and then an active cable from the receiver (which would then be the source) to the tv (sink). On my C8, I've been testing, and currently using, a shorter version of the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables, setup the same way, source to receiver and receiver to tv, and have had no issues at all. The cable just needs to draw some power from the HDMI input on the sink end, be it a receiver or the tv. You just can't daisy chain the cables together.

Ideally, you don't want any to use any extenders, adapters, wall plates in-between the source and sink. This is especially true if you want to push 4k HDR because 4k HDR can be finicky with its connection. 1080 is usually not as "cable sensitive". A single cable, source to sink, is the ideal connection.

The cable is just the conduit so there are other factors involved in a successful cable connection/run.

Do you have a link to the cable mfrs that state you can't use a receiver as the sink end for an active fiber and/or hybrid fiber cable?

@Hotsauce55 - to get an idea of solid core CAT-6, look at this: Sewell product # SW-30625

post #16 of 16 Old 09-19-2019, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That is exactly how active cables, copper or fiber-based are used, so that is not true. The receiver, in that case, would be the sink instead of the tv. I've tested and used MediaBridge copper-based active cables, from source (blu-ray player, ATV4) to the receiver, and then an active cable from the receiver (which would then be the source) to the tv (sink). On my C8, I've been testing, and currently using, a shorter version of the Ruipro4k hybrid fiber cables, setup the same way, source to receiver and receiver to tv, and have had no issues at all. The cable just needs to draw some power from the HDMI input on the sink end, be it a receiver or the tv. You just can't daisy chain the cables together.

Ideally, you don't want any to use any extenders, adapters, wall plates in-between the source and sink. This is especially true if you want to push 4k HDR because 4k HDR can be finicky with its connection. 1080 is usually not as "cable sensitive". A single cable, source to sink, is the ideal connection.

The cable is just the conduit so there are other factors involved in a successful cable connection/run.

Do you have a link to the cable mfrs that state you can't use a receiver as the sink end for an active fiber and/or hybrid fiber cable?

@Hotsauce55 - to get an idea of solid core CAT-6, look at this: Sewell product # SW-30625
Hey Otto, so as to not derail this thread, I'm going to start a new one, sound good?
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...l#post58578614
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page