Sonos Alternative for a house with wired speakers and the need for wireless speakers - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By eatenbacktolife

post #1 of 11 Old 08-04-2019, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sonos Alternative for a house with wired speakers and the need for wireless speakers

I’ve been a Sonos customer for 10+ years and currently have over 15 Sonos devices delivering music throughout my large home via wired, in-wall speakers (using Sonos Connect:AMPs) as well as multiple wireless Sonos speakers in rooms that didn’t have pre-wired in-wall speakers, covering 9 zones.

I have become increasingly fed-up with Sonos. It used to be a brilliant, reliable plug—and—play system but it’s increasingly become a nightmare with constant problems.

My question: I’m not aware of any consumer-level alternative to Sonos that would fit my needs. Are there “professional” systems available that can replicate my need for wired and wireless speakers in multiple zones? If so, can you throw out some names? My searches of the interwebs have largely left me confused. I’m prepared to spend some $$$ for a professional installer to deal with this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-04-2019, 10:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 694 Post(s)
Liked: 618
I'm not an expert but I'll start with the generic "it depends". As always, the details matter. How is your wiring currently structured regarding sources, where they are located, how they are connected to Sonos amps, and how speaker wires are ran. Are there any home runs, or only localized wiring for example. That information will help others know what possible replacements may exist
post #3 of 11 Old 08-05-2019, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoughtCriminal View Post
I’ve been a Sonos customer for 10+ years and currently have over 15 Sonos devices delivering music throughout my large home via wired, in-wall speakers (using Sonos Connect:AMPs) as well as multiple wireless Sonos speakers in rooms that didn’t have pre-wired in-wall speakers, covering 9 zones.

I have become increasingly fed-up with Sonos. It used to be a brilliant, reliable plug—and—play system but it’s increasingly become a nightmare with constant problems.

My question: I’m not aware of any consumer-level alternative to Sonos that would fit my needs. Are there “professional” systems available that can replicate my need for wired and wireless speakers in multiple zones? If so, can you throw out some names? My searches of the interwebs have largely left me confused. I’m prepared to spend some $$$ for a professional installer to deal with this.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
A few options if you want to continue with DIY would be Denon Heos. They have just about every device that Sonos has to replicate that environment. Yamaha has something but not nearly as robust

If you want something more CI (Custom install) by nature you could look at:
1) Control4 - it has built in native streaming services, they have multiroom audio functions via the amp/matrix devices and they have stand alone wireless speakers in a Triad One which is a wireless amp that can be connected to any speakers if not ran as a home run. You can always build off down the road to work in lights, security, etc when budget/time/interests allow
2) Russound, VSSL and Nuvo are stand along multi room audio systems that can be integrated into larger automation projects (C4, Crestron, Savant, etc) if you intend to do so in the future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-05-2019, 08:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 33
What exactly is the problem? Sonos is usually pretty reliable, but can also tank a network. Are you having connection problems?
Bobone likes this.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-05-2019, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My 2 cents.

Home theater direct. They can a device letting you control your speakers/music using your phone. I think this option is only for wired speakers.

Chromecast audio/Chromecast with HDMI splitter. I think you can create a group of speakers.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-05-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 95
What are the issues you have been having?
A good control system can make your existing Sonos and another wired/ wireless distributed audio system more seamless for the end users. ie: don't have to launch Sonos App for that room, and Russound's app for the room next door.

Wired is always more reliable. Make sure you are using your wired connections wherever you have them.
Wireless works, but puts dependency on the WiFi network. You can use a dedicated wireless just for your audio and all other devices use the second WiFi network. Some routing trickery might be needed to get it all working well. Maybe you just need a decent networking engineer to address the problem?
post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2019, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
I would also like to know about the issues you are having with SONOS. I have been using them since day 1, and have probably installed 100s of systems throughout the years with no.... (maybe a few) issues here and there.

If you have already spent all that money in the Sonos infrastructure, I dont think you would want to replicate that again going with Denon Heos or the Yamaha Music-cast
post #8 of 11 Old 08-05-2019, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The HEOS speakers don't support Apple Airplay if you want to go that route. They do support many other services however. The HEOS 1 sounded great when I had it but returned it because of software issues and because it couldn't do Airplay with my Denon x4500. I picked up 3 Sonos One' and couldn't be happier. i found the HEOS 1 and the SONOS One comparable if it helps at all.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 03:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked: 346
As others have asked what is the problem you are experiencing? We have loads of Customers with installed SONOS multi-room systems (myself included) and no ongoing hassles.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-06-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 84
BlueSound if you want to move away from Sonos

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #11 of 11 Old 08-07-2019, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I still want to hear what your Sonos issue is, I'd bet more likely than not its your router and not the Sonos equipment, I've been installing and maintaining Sonos equipment for over ten years and the only issue I've ever run into is a bad Sonos Bridge and it was the power supply that went and not the bridge and crappy and old routers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page