Distributed gaming via network (aka "consoles are so last decade") - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Distributed gaming via network (aka "consoles are so last decade")

Scenario: You want the ability to play games throughout their house

How this was done in 2008: Hook up their Xbox360 to the input of their component matrix, and the gamepads travel around the house to different TVs (Xbox 360 wireless pads had great range )

What about today? Things have definitely changed....

1. Console game system themselves have lost much of their appeal. Not much innovation for a long time. Personally I am an avid gamer, and I haven't turned any of my consoles in several years.
2. Console games in general have shifted from local multiplayer (playing with your friends / family on the couch), to single local player online games. I didn't even bother buying extra controllers for the Xbox one because none of their games support it anymore.
3. New Cloud based gaming is becoming popular. Many the best games are now targeting these platforms instead of consoles.
Virtual Reality is the best gaming experience, hands down!
4. PC Gaming has always been the choice for serious gamers, but now it is probably has the best options even for casual gaming.
5. Mobile gaming (tablets / phones) is actually now one of the best ways for local multiplayer

So what do you do? Obviously if you just want a console distributed, you can still do that. However, it means you can't use network distribution so you miss out on those benefits.

But maybe the ideal gaming system ISN'T a distributed console? Did you know that nVidia makes dedicated game streaming technology that gives you the best of modern gaming?

You might know that Video Storm loves using nVidia Shields as part of our NetPlay Video distribution system. You probably don't know that those same Shields make a killer game distribution system (with or without our NetPlay system).

We have some more details here http://www.video-storm.com/netplay_gaming.asp

Or you can just ask here. Shields + a gaming PC have been my system of choice for quite awhile now. Ever since VR forced me to buy a gaming PC, the consoles have just been gathering dust. IMO PC & cloud based gaming is where all the innovation is at.

Video Storm LLC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page