New Construction Pre Wire Questions - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 10-14-2019, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Two years ago I could not find an installer willing to use cat6a or knowledgeable about terminating cat6a or interested in doing a residential job. So. I had my remodeler install 2" conduit and I pulled and terminated the cat6a myself. There are learning and customizing benefits in doing your own wiring but it is time consuming. However it forced me to really think about what I was trying to accomplish. I believe SDvOE will replace HDMI and cat6a is reputed to be better for SDvOE. If I had cat6 already installed I would not rip it out and I would wait and see how the technology evolves.
Thanks for the heads up on SDvOE. Never heard of it before. When I built my addition and patio 8 years ago, I neglected to run a HDMI cable to the patio. I would use Baluns to run the TV out there using my Dish Hopper. I have 2 RF and a Cat5e connections on the patio. My Dish Hopper had component outs and I able was use it with Baluns using the Cat5e. But now I have Comcast X something 4k. The Comcast box does not have component outs.

Looking forward to see how this new tech progresses.

TV - LG 65B7P OLED / Receiver - Yamaha RX-A1040 7.2 / Blu Ray - Oppo BDP-83 / Turntable - Technics SL-3300 / Cable Box - Comcast X1 V4 4K /L & R Paradigm Studio 20 V3
Center - Paradigm CC-470 V3 / 4 Surrounds - Paradigm SA-15 V3 In Walls
Subwoofer 1 - Sunfire HRS-12 / Subwoofer 2 - Paradigm PW-2100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 10-15-2019, 07:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cks30 View Post
Hi,

First, let me say I’ve been lurking for quite awhile and found a ton of good info from other’s posts. We are building a new construction home and those posts helped be do my initial wiring plan with my low voltage company.

I plan to have a dedicated 5'x4’ AV closet with a 42u rack. The rack won’t be full out of the gate but will allow for expansion. The room will have two dedicated 20A circuits with two outlets each (4 total). Initially, I don’t plan to subscribe to any home automation (Control4 or Savant), but want to leave myself options down the road. I know "future proofing" is a tough phase to use in this space, but I’m trying to do what I can.

General points
- Two story new construction on a slab
- We use Amazon Fire, AppleTV, Roku devices for streaming
- Plex media server from old Mac mini
- We will watch Blu Ray in the media room
- Enjoy listening to music via iTunes library or Apple Music
- Both my wife and I work from home
- Have lots of ''smart'' devices in our current home, but plan to rethink. If we don't do home automation, I would love to move all to HomeKit since we're a big Apple family.
- Thermostat, locks, cameras, smoke detector, lights, etc

Pre-wire Overview:
- 3 CAT6E and 1RJ6 to each TV area
- 4 WAP’s with CAT6E
- Dedicated media room pre-wired for in wall dolby atoms 7.1.4
- Conduit run from project to AV closet
- 1st floor living room wired for in wall 3.1 audio
- 6 rooms with in ceiling speaker wiring
- Cat6E runs for ceiling speaker wall switches
- Prewired security on all widows and doors + 3 keypads
- 8 POE security cameras with NVR

Questions:

I won’t be able to utilize HDBaseT distribution using multiple sources through a receiver in the AV closet without a matrix, right? I can’t simply use the receiver inputs to control the different sources and run the receiver output through a HDBaseT?

Can I power the TV speakers in the 1st floor living room via a receiver in the AV closet? Maybe use a IR blaster..

Same question about whole home audio speakers from a receiver in AV closet with a dedicated 6 channel amp?

I can’t find much on CAT6E. I’ve read CAT6 will support 10GB in runs less than ~50 meters. Is this an OK solution since my drops should all be less than 100ft?

I’d appreciate any feedback on additional thoughts on the project. Thanks in advance.
Would it be ok, if I used your layout to present my home pre-wiring and seek feedback...
post #33 of 33 Old 11-12-2019, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yes, feel free. I’d love to see how yours turn out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cks30 View Post
Hi,

First, let me say I’️ve been lurking for quite awhile and found a ton of good info from other’️s posts. We are building a new construction home and those posts helped be do my initial wiring plan with my low voltage company.

I plan to have a dedicated 5'x4’️ AV closet with a 42u rack. The rack won’️t be full out of the gate but will allow for expansion. The room will have two dedicated 20A circuits with two outlets each (4 total). Initially, I don’️t plan to subscribe to any home automation (Control4 or Savant), but want to leave myself options down the road. I know "future proofing" is a tough phase to use in this space, but I’️m trying to do what I can.

General points
- Two story new construction on a slab
- We use Amazon Fire, AppleTV, Roku devices for streaming
- Plex media server from old Mac mini
- We will watch Blu Ray in the media room
- Enjoy listening to music via iTunes library or Apple Music
- Both my wife and I work from home
- Have lots of ''smart'' devices in our current home, but plan to rethink. If we don't do home automation, I would love to move all to HomeKit since we're a big Apple family.
- Thermostat, locks, cameras, smoke detector, lights, etc

Pre-wire Overview:
- 3 CAT6E and 1RJ6 to each TV area
- 4 WAP’️s with CAT6E
- Dedicated media room pre-wired for in wall dolby atoms 7.1.4
- Conduit run from project to AV closet
- 1st floor living room wired for in wall 3.1 audio
- 6 rooms with in ceiling speaker wiring
- Cat6E runs for ceiling speaker wall switches
- Prewired security on all widows and doors + 3 keypads
- 8 POE security cameras with NVR

Questions:

I won’️t be able to utilize HDBaseT distribution using multiple sources through a receiver in the AV closet without a matrix, right? I can’️t simply use the receiver inputs to control the different sources and run the receiver output through a HDBaseT?

Can I power the TV speakers in the 1st floor living room via a receiver in the AV closet? Maybe use a IR blaster..

Same question about whole home audio speakers from a receiver in AV closet with a dedicated 6 channel amp?

I can’️t find much on CAT6E. I’️ve read CAT6 will support 10GB in runs less than ~50 meters. Is this an OK solution since my drops should all be less than 100ft?

I’️d appreciate any feedback on additional thoughts on the project. Thanks in advance.
Would it be ok, if I used your layout to present my home pre-wiring and seek feedback...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page