Okay. NV-IG8M / Novu Concerto Wiring in New Apartment - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 08-28-2019, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay. NV-IG8M / Novu Concerto Wiring in New Apartment

* Keypads/speakers are installed. The keypads are all dark. I assume this is normal until the amp unit is plugged in
* There are two plates with cat5 ports in the wall
* First plate appears to be for an iPod dock - assuming that's safe to ignore - our last iPod is long dead and gone
* The second has one port for the NV-1G8M and 6 "device" ports
* Landlord seems confident the wiring will be fine

I'm assuming I can get this thing running with an NV-18GM amp/audio-router-thingy from ebay. In case somebody forgets to ship the cord, does that take a standard desktop PC power cord?

What are the device ports for? Would these allow a connection to a PC that lets you run web sources like spotify from the keypads?

And how do I actually connect a PC to the whole system in order to run this "configurator app" if needed?

Are the keypads and the built-in speakers worth the trouble (I lean yes right now) or should I maybe go with a more modern wireless approach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-29-2019, 04:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 16
You will need this to start:

https://www.legrand.us/-/media/brand...al%201131.ashx

Then you will need this knowledge base to use the panels for more advanced stuff. It will appear overwhelming at first, but give it some reading!

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/36-ho...servation.html

Comments:
- yes, your system is worth the trouble to activate. You will appreciate the fixed speakers and panels. It gets you started without a lot of investment and if you wish, you can still add wireless Nuvo or Sonos equipment with varying degree of integration.
- the Nuvo dock is actually very interesting to use with an old iPhone as a bridge to your current iPhone(s). Keep it or get one. No need for the wireless version as you will be running on WiFi.
- the device ports use the proprietary NuvoNet protocol. It is not ethernet!
- to configure the Grand Concerto more easily, you need a RS-232 adapter to a PC and a serial cord.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 08-31-2019 at 11:57 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-30-2019, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Agree with Bob's comments in general. A few more:

*If the link to the other thread Bob linked to IS in fact overwhelming, you may want to look in to getting a Nuvo Music Port (https://www.legrand.us/nuvo/audio-vi...musicport.aspx), (https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...port&_osacat=0). This at least gets you SiriusXM, Pandora, Rhapsody, Spotify, Slacker Radio, etc streaming. Unfortunately the "app" (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/music-port/id382482752), (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lient&hl=en_US) are absolutely horrible.

*Assuming the wiring is good there are other options out there you may want to convert to.

*The Nuvo GC keypads in my opinion were/are great, and if you can utilize them then take advantage of what you have.

My Area: Samsung 75" Q9FN / Marantz NR1608 / Polk Signature S55 / Xbox One X / PS4 Pro | Living Room: Samsung UN55LS03N ("The Frame" 2018) | Family Room: Sony XBR-65X850E
Nuvo Player Portfolio Whole-Home Audio System (P4300, P200, P10 keypad, P30 tablet)
Xbox Live: oktober rust | PSN: oktoberrust11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Okay. Got the amp. All the pads power up. There are 4 preconfigured... zones (zone = thing you pick for audio from the pad?). I'm assuming these are from the previous user. I do not yet have the interface for a PC. Each of the 4 zones has a number that I'm assuming is the RCA source. Should I be able to at least pipe sound through any one of these just by plugging in? Or do I need to create a new zone?

I'd like to start basic and just get our projector piping audio through the ceiling speakers without any actual controls from the pad set up. Can it be done without the configurator app? I don't have the cord for connecting a PC yet. There are some grayed out options on the control pad so I'm worried the previous user may have locked some stuff down.

Also is there any way to just test the speakers via the pads? The last time this system was running might have been 2011.
post #5 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Apologies for the repetition there. I've been spoiled by the ability to edit posts after publishing, pretty much everywhere else since 2011 at least.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-18-2019, 09:29 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Good start!
(Now read the manual ...)

Zones are often rooms. Each keypad controls volume and source for a zone.
Zones are numbered from 1 to 20 (virtual zones exist too)

You can have 6 sources to the GC. You can select them in the menu or by toggling “OK” outside of the menu.

The GC that you bought might not be reset, so you possibly have some old names for zones and sources that could be confusing.

Now, plug in any source to any of the 6 inputs and then select it from the pad.

Enjoy music for a few days in all your zones.
Thereafter you will want to optimize how you integrate with e.g. your phone and how to control the sources and zones.
The thread that I pointed to above offers some insights to how to achieve what you want.

Good luck!

Last edited by Bobone; 09-21-2019 at 07:09 PM.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobone View Post
Good start!
(Now read the manual 😁[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]...

Zones are often rooms. Each keypad controls volume and source for a zone.
Zones are numbered from 1 to 20 (virtual zones exist too)

You can have 6 sources to the GC. You can select them in the menu or by toggling “OK” outside of the menu.

The GC that you bought might not be reset, so you possibly have some old names for zones and sources that could be confusing.

Now, plug in any source to any of the 6 inputs and then select it from the pad.

Enjoy music for a few days in all your zones.
Thereafter you will want to optimize how you integrate with e.g. your phone and how to control the sources and zones.
The thread that I pointed to above offers some insights to how to achieve what you want.

Good luck!
Yeah, I'm sadly getting nothing from the speakers. I've got a small projector plugged in via a headphone to RCA jack. Also a Nintendo Wii (whose UI makes constant noise) and nothing on the 4 sources that are actually showing on the pads. Tried in every zone. Doesn't seem likely all the speakers in the place are dead so I'm going to have drag my desktop out to the living to try and get the configurator working. My only working laptop is win-8 which has been a pain for that particular usb adapter apparently.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 03:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Not following...you are trying to get audio out of the projector as an input / source for the Nuvo? What is the video source that the projector is displaying? Is that connected to a Receiver? If so, then connect the receiver's low level audio output to the Nuvo input.
post #9 of 9 Old 09-21-2019, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Derp. Missed some 'duh' wiring. It works just fine. Thanks for the help. Now for the examining of other possibly worthwhile doo-dads.

Just using headphone to RCA with an android phone so far but not blown away by the sound quality. Wondering if it's not the best speaker wire, which would be unfortunate as rewiring a home audio system isn't really in my wheelhouse yet. Or maybe I just need more amp?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page