Existing system with Niles volume controls connection help - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated
  • 1 Post By rob4321

post #1 of 3 Old 09-01-2019, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Existing system with Niles volume controls connection help

I just purchased a house that has 15 speakers divided into 8 zones connected through 8 Niles VCS100K volume controls with selectable impedance. In the basement there were three 4 conductor speaker wires and four 2 conductor speaker wires with all the negatives twisted together and all the positives twisted together that I assume the previous owner had connected all together into one channel of an amp. The volume controls are set to x8 impedance magnification.

I separated all the wires and connected them individually to discover that each of the three 4 conductor wires runs to one of the 3 zones in the basement but the four 2 conductor wires appear to be duplicates of each other. Each of them connects to either the right or left channel of all the remaining 5 zones.

Speakers are New Wave Audio C-650KV 80W 8 ohm ceiling speakers and 2 russound outdoor speakers I'm not sure of the model.

Why would there be 2 sets of wires connected to the left and right channels of the 5 upstairs zones? Any advantage to connected them both or should I just connect one set?

What size amp should I be using for the 5 zones? A 400W amp since it goes to 5 80W speakers or just an 80W amp? The volume controls are rated to 100watts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-06-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
It's impossible to fully understand what or how people have run wiring that already exists inside of walls... and I've seen all sorts of craziness. The absolute most important thing to do when wiring a home for A/V is to properly document all the cabling that is in place. Whether it is just on the cables, or is on paper, it all matters.

Unfortunately, you should just assume that the wires were doubled up at both ends for some unknown reason and call it a day. Assume it was wired properly as well.

The volume controls are the power point that matters, and I wouldn't go beyond 100 watts per channel for the amplifier. It doesn't actually take much power to get plenty of volume out of speakers. Look online for a good deal on a amplifier to use.
bluewaves likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 3 Old 09-15-2019, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks. I was able to follow the wires from the basement up to the attic where they were fortunately all joined together directly above the access hatch so I was able to redo the connections without having to actually go into the attic. I now have it all wired with each speaker on its own run connected to two Dayton ma1260s with a chromecast audio providing the source. Changed all the volume control impedance settings to x1.
FlyOnTheWall likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page