• 1 Post By bryantc
  • 1 Post By AV_Integrated

post #1 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Help identify HDMI cable

I did not know where to post this. It is a PlayStation cable. I do not know if 3 or 4. What I am interested in is if it can pass 4K signals. Similar ones say fully 4K HDR compatible like this one. Mine is not a flat cable though. It is a thick cable about 20mm. With a double braided black nylon jacket. Can I assume if it plays YouTube 4K HDR Rec2020, that it is compatible? Thank you.....Mods, if this is the wrong place please kindly move it and don't delete it. I tried my best to figure out where.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	855f825c01d7a262afead883f2789aae.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	2614874  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Just buy a new 4k hdmi cable.

they are cheap
post #3 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

No doubt. The issue is this is tidy in a "snake" sheath. It will be a royal pain to get it out and replace. If I can make use of it I would vastly prefer to in this instance. I do not care about a $15 cable but I do care about 3+ hours of my time. I just wanted to know if it will display YouTube can I assume it is? Or is YouTube super bandwidth compressed or something? What would be the definitive test? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3448 Post(s)
Liked: 2507
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriTon464 View Post
No doubt. The issue is this is tidy in a "snake" sheath. It will be a royal pain to get it out and replace. If I can make use of it I would vastly prefer to in this instance. I do not care about a $15 cable but I do care about 3+ hours of my time. I just wanted to know if it will display YouTube can I assume it is? Or is YouTube super bandwidth compressed or something? What would be the definitive test? Thanks
The cable has an arrow on one end so it could be an active cable. Practically any HDMI cable can display YouTube. There's nothing special about YouTube. The definitive test would be if you get a satisfactory YouTube or not. The cable is probably thick because it is a heavier wire gauge, which is good, and bad. Good that signal integrity is maintained and bad because bend radius is not very good which can lead to strain on the HDMI input

How long is your run and why would it take 3+ hours to replace it?

The general rule of thumb, in case you choose to purchase a new cable, is if your run is under about 20', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (passive) will work. Over about 20', a hybrid fiber cable is highly recommended for 4k HDR.

Any HDMI-related question should go to the HDMI forum for future reference.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #5 of 21 Old 09-13-2019, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you. You can move this if you wish. It is only 6 feet. It will take the labor because it is stuffed in a "snake sheath" and I want all my cables tidy in there. I cannot just rip it out. It will take a long time to back it out and slowly push the new one in with a lot of lube. At 6 feet might it work? All the cables I see with those same connectors say 4K HDR but mine is a thicker double nylon braided cable I cannot find anywhere. I believe it was specific to Walmart and was about $60 in 20018. Unfortunately I cannot find the box or it would tell all. I guess I will just have to judge YouTube for myself. Maxed out at 12 bits it should cease to function though if less than 18GBPS?
post #6 of 21 Old 09-14-2019, 11:14 AM

please post pictures of the snake sheath
post #7 of 21 Old 09-14-2019, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Thank you. You can move this if you wish. It is only 6 feet. It will take the labor because it is stuffed in a "snake sheath" and I want all my cables tidy in there. I cannot just rip it out. It will take a long time to back it out and slowly push the new one in with a lot of lube. At 6 feet might it work? All the cables I see with those same connectors say 4K HDR but mine is a thicker double nylon braided cable I cannot find anywhere. I believe it was specific to Walmart and was about $60 in 20018. Unfortunately I cannot find the box or it would tell all. I guess I will just have to judge YouTube for myself. Maxed out at 12 bits it should cease to function though if less than 18GBPS?
A "snake sheath" sounds like a marketing thing and something you really shouldn't do, if what I envision a snake sheath is, which is a very tight conduit. Using lube to push an HDMI cable thru is something I would never do. Besides, it would be a good idea to keep a little space between your cables, hence a 1.5" to 2.0" conduit.

6' is not long but you should figure out a better way than using a snake sheath. Is this in-wall?

post #8 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

It is exactly what you said Otto. It is a marketing term and brand name as well. Correct there too. Yes, in the wall. Plenum rated. Hence cannot take pics right now. Probably not at all. Since I will let the tech do it all Tuesday. I can't wait for the tech bill. I already know just to program the URC is another $400. I imagine this job will run me $1,000-$1,500. The tech's make a lot because they do a good job. I think I had mentioned in another thread. I had ordered the Samsung "wall". The delivery crew are not nearly as adept as the techs. It would not fit through the door. So they tried to force it. They ended up badly scratching the screen of their $200,000 TV and they had to eat that expense! I "settled" for the 96". It was not cheap but nowhere near the "wall. Maybe he will decide to run that in regular conduit. They know what they are doing. They usually send a tech and a "helper". Either way it will all be taken care of, at my expense of course. At least they will not break anything of mine. I just decided it is not something I wish to undertake. I bet he supplies a new cable too anyways. So my idea was kind of stupid in actuality. It will be interesting how he does it but they have a strict policy of not allowing you to watch them. They say that leads to questions and slows them down. Thank you folks for helping me none nonetheless.
post #9 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Since I will let the tech do it all Tuesday.
You will be able to enjoy it in just a few more days and it will be worth it afterwards.
post #10 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 04:29 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you. I am picking up a cable. Since a $30 cable is just fine. I do not need their $300 cable that they sell. It is probably only a $30 cable anyways!
post #11 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I am picking up a cable. Since a $30 cable is just fine. I do not need their $300 cable that they sell. It is probably only a $30 cable anyways!
6' is within the passive cable spec for HDMI 2.1, if that is your goal for the future. That being said, make sure that the conduit that they use is large enough to easily run your cable(s) thru without damaging them (not pulling on the connector ends), and make sure there is a pull string as well because chances are you will be upgrading your cables down the road. Don't go cheap on the cables. It's better to spend the extra money on a cable now that will have better longevity than to go cheap and end up upgrading your cable. At 6', you're pretty safe, for now, as long as you can control bend radius. A hybrid fiber cable would probably be the best route to go for longevity but at 6', that's a bit of an overkill and expensive. For a passive cable at 6', a Premium High Speed HDMI cable (with the QR label) is about as good as you can get for HDMI 2.0 hardware. Anything else is just marketing b.s.

post #12 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Quote:
I had ordered the Samsung "wall". The delivery crew are not nearly as adept as the techs. It would not fit through the door. So they tried to force it. They ended up badly scratching the screen of their $200,000 TV and they had to eat that expense!
Whoa. Are you serious? Isn't that a modular display?
TriTon464 likes this.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #13 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

It seemed to be "all one piece". unless those fools did not even know how to take it apart. I actually have larger than standard residential doors. So I cannot possibly see how this would fit in most homes. You must be correct and they did not even know this! It did come assembled though and it is pretty large. It has to be well over 9' tall because it would not clear the doors even tilted all the way on it's side! I feel bad because it is a family owned store but it was in no way my fault. I in no way pressured them to do that. They just said "we can get it in" After "oh sh..." They gave up.
post #14 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 04:05 PM

Quote:
It seemed to be "all one piece". unless those fools did not even know how to take it apart. I actually have larger than standard residential doors. So I cannot possibly see how this would fit in most homes. You must be correct and they did not even know this! It did come assembled though and it is pretty large. It has to be well over 9' tall because it would not clear the doors even tilted all the way on it's side! I feel bad because it is a family owned store but it was in no way my fault. I in no way pressured them to do that. They just said "we can get it in" After "oh sh..." They gave up.

Where are the pictures of the Video Wall?
post #15 of 21 Old 09-15-2019, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Didn't you read? Delivery was unsuccessful! I feel bad about it too. Not so much for me but it was a special order and now mom and pop store "ate" a lot of money. That could really hurt them maybe. If you want to see what it looks like just google "Samsung wall". It is quite large.
post #16 of 21 Old 09-16-2019, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
A cable with snake skin is just to make it look pretty, it doesn't add quality.

You can pick up cables for under $10 from Monoprice that work very well. I am using their 8' 18Gb/s HDMI cables right now and strongly recommend them.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24187

Up to 8' in length, and super slim to not yank on your equipment or pull on HDMI connections.

Be aware, there is not really such a thing as a 'playstation' cable. It's just HDMI and HDMI is HDMI.

The speed rating is really what determines how much video quality is supported and the current highest speed which is fully certified is 18Gb/s. The Monoprice cable, you can see in the link, is 18Gb/s certified and will support full UHD/HDR 18Gb/s connectivity.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #17 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Funny I asked if this cable could handle 4K. Turns out I must be running 60gbps through it beautifully. 4:4:4,12 bit, 8K off of YouTube. I know it is compressed and I am just joking but I bet it is in excess of 18gbps in fact. This turned out to be a good cable after all. The weird thing is I cannot find a picture or info on the same exact one anywhere. It is 1.5 meters and I believe I paid about $65 before tax at Walmart in 2018. So as far as Walmart goes it was a high end cable at least. Although of course it is by no means a high end cable if you are into that type of thing. It most certainly does the job after all. They did throw away my snake and put in 1-1/2" conduit regardless though. That was to be figured. These guy's are pros. I am a botch jobber. I don't even mind what I paid them. They were so professional they would not accept a beer on the job. They were actually pretty impressed with the cable in fact and there lowest priced cable of same length is $389. They at least are honest and said unless I was going to spend $2,000 there was no need to replace it! Go figure. Just wanted to give a final update on this.
post #18 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Funny I asked if this cable could handle 4K. Turns out I must be running 60gbps through it beautifully. 4:4:4,12 bit, 8K off of YouTube. I know it is compressed and I am just joking but I bet it is in excess of 18gbps in fact.
Do you have an 8K TV? And what source device are you watching Youtube from?

Just because you select 8K in Youtube does not mean it is outputting an 8K signal to your display.

Media: LG 88" OLED 8K Z9 / Denon AVR-X8500H 7.1.4 / Oppo UDP-203 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / Sony 4K FMP-X10 / Gaming PC (Threadripper 1950X / 2x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SLI) / PlayStation 4 Pro with PS VR / PlayStation (original)
Family: Sony 85" 4K XBR-85X900F / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K / C64 Mini - Game: LG 77" OLED 4K C8 / Denon AVR-X3400H 5.1 / Nvidia SHIELD (2017) / Apple TV 4K
post #19 of 21 Old 09-23-2019, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah I just realized this duh. apple 4k says 4K right in the name LOL. shield I have is also only 4K. how is it displaying 8K videos then? I have the 96" Q900R TV. I attempted to get the "wall". long story, they destroyed their own TV trying to jam it through the door! I guess it was modular anyways. how stupid can those monsters be? Well, I think they pretty much have already spoken for themselves! I really did want that "wall" though. not to brag, my eyes are bad.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-24-2019, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 101 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1611 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
Quote:
Yeah I just realized this duh. apple 4k says 4K right in the name LOL. shield I have is also only 4K. how is it displaying 8K videos then? I have the 96" Q900R TV. I attempted to get the "wall". long story, they destroyed their own TV trying to jam it through the door! I guess it was modular anyways. how stupid can those monsters be? Well, I think they pretty much have already spoken for themselves! I really did want that "wall" though. not to brag, my eyes are bad.
Assuming you mean 98" Q900 as they don't have a 96" version.

It does feature HDMI 2.1 inputs, which is ridiculous as HDMI 2.1 isn't a completed specification at this time.

If you are watching 8K YouTube on anything, I'm not sure how you are feeding it to the display. Would need to know what player you are using.

It's not impossible that some random HDMI cable passes the 48Gb/s that HDMI 2.1 requires for 8K, but it's just as likely, if not moreso, that the source you are using is limited to 4K resolution at 18Gb/s. Then any 8K videos you watch are converted down to the HDMI 2.0 specification. Depends a great deal on your source player.
Otto Pylot likes this.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-24-2019, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

The only way to get 8K video from Youtube is on a PC. But there is no PC hardware that has HDMI 2.1 so you cannot get 8K output. Apparently it is possible to get 8K 30hz 4:2:0 over HDMI 2.0. Check out this video with your exact TV model:

The other option is to download the video to a USB drive and plug it in to the TV. But according to this review the TV's internal player cannot even play 8K video files.

Last edited by bryantc; 09-24-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page