Need Help - 4K over CAT6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Need Help - 4K over CAT6

In my new house I'm getting ready to move in to I have an Integra 5.3 AVR, and an Epson 6050 PJ. I have a pair of CAT6, a pair of CAT5e and an RG6 in between them. They're about 90 feet apart.

I need to get a 4K signal (as good of one as I can, I don't know about all the 4:4:4 60, etc...) from the receiver to the PJ. What's the best product for me to do that? Any reason why this wouldn't be a good choice?

https://www.amazon.com/AV-Access-Ext...1100713&sr=8-3

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3579 Post(s)
Liked: 2580
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhendriksen View Post
In my new house I'm getting ready to move in to I have an Integra 5.3 AVR, and an Epson 6050 PJ. I have a pair of CAT6, a pair of CAT5e and an RG6 in between them. They're about 90 feet apart.

I need to get a 4K signal (as good of one as I can, I don't know about all the 4:4:4 60, etc...) from the receiver to the PJ. What's the best product for me to do that? Any reason why this wouldn't be a good choice?

Thanks in advance.
HDBT is most effective, and reliable if you use solid core CAT-6 cable (non-CCA and not CAT-6 ethernet patch cable). If HDBT is your choice, then you need to look for HDBT tx/rx units that have the latest Valens chipsets in them, which may be difficult at present. Keep in mind that the downside of HDBT is video compression. Run your cabling inside a conduit if in-wall and you don't have easy access to your cabling. Using conduit is the ONLY way to future proof your cabling because chances are you will be needing to upgrade your cabling probably sooner than later. 90' is pretty long for any type of cabling.

Your other option would be to use a hybrid fiber cable (Ruipro4k) but at 90' it's going to be expensive. Hybrid fiber is probably your best bet as you won't get any compression but ARC/eARC may be an issue.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #3 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
https://www.avproedge.com/ac-ex40-444.html

AV Professional for 23 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 10-14-2019, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
That would work but it would be a good idea to find out if they are using the latest chipsets.

post #5 of 19 Old 10-15-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
That would work but it would be a good idea to find out if they are using the latest chipsets.
AVProEdge video distribution equipment is some of the best in the industry. Isn't cheap either. It just works.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-15-2019, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 300
Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Starting with the source of your 4K that can be a disc-necessary for 4:4:4 or streaming such as Netflix If you want to stream you will need a modem and router, an internet provider and a 4K subscription to Netflix, etc. You can probably use the cat6 between your router and you PJ. If you want to use discs you will need a 4K disc player. I did not see anything in your post that would require a matrix. You will need a HDMI cable between your disc player and your PJ. The receiver is mainly for audio but some can also pass through a video signal to you PJ.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch

Last edited by Postmoderndesign; 10-15-2019 at 06:13 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 10-16-2019, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

Need Help - 4K over CAT6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Starting with the source of your 4K that can be a disc-necessary for 4:4:4 or streaming such as Netflix If you want to stream you will need a modem and router, an internet provider and a 4K subscription to Netflix, etc. You can probably use the cat6 between your router and you PJ. If you want to use discs you will need a 4K disc player. I did not see anything in your post that would require a matrix. You will need a HDMI cable between your disc player and your PJ. The receiver is mainly for audio but some can also pass through a video signal to you PJ.

My post was brief. I have a very large home automation installation via Control4 that includes a large video distribution system via Just Add Power matrix switching, along with 24 audio zones, lighting, security, etc... I’ve used HDBaseT baluns in the past to extend HDMI signal over CAT cable, I just haven’t done it with 4K content.

I realize I need a 4K Blu-ray player. I realize I need other 4K sources. I know what an AVR is. I posted hastily in looking for suggestions on how to extend 4K content reliably over CAT cable as I’ve not got experience with 4K HDMI baluns to date. The Just Add Power system is 4K, but it’s essentially media over IP with encoders/decoders doing the work but the theater is the one room with “local sources” and so I need a balun of some sort to get from the AVR to the PJ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by dhendriksen; 10-16-2019 at 03:08 PM.
post #8 of 19 Old 10-17-2019, 06:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My post was brief. I have a very large home automation installation via Control4 that includes a large video distribution system via Just Add Power matrix switching, along with 24 audio zones, lighting, security, etc... I’ve used HDBaseT baluns in the past to extend HDMI signal over CAT cable, I just haven’t done it with 4K content.

I realize I need a 4K Blu-ray player. I realize I need other 4K sources. I know what an AVR is. I posted hastily in looking for suggestions on how to extend 4K content reliably over CAT cable as I’ve not got experience with 4K HDMI baluns to date. The Just Add Power system is 4K, but it’s essentially media over IP with encoders/decoders doing the work but the theater is the one room with “local sources” and so I need a balun of some sort to get from the AVR to the PJ.

I decided a few years ago that HDbaseT was too complex and would not fulfill my top requirement which was to build a whole house system that would allow me to use my 1080 plasma and my 4K Oled both. At the time and maybe now HDbaseT would default to the lower resolution. My second goal was to use a file server to deliver movies but ripping from disc became more and more time consuming. Finally, though I do use balens I have never understood them.

So, what I am suggesting is that you fully explore if what you want to do is possible or worth the complexity. As I stated I have not followed the HbaseT technology for a couple of years. Otto is more the expert.

Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #9 of 19 Old 10-17-2019, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I decided a few years ago that HDbaseT was too complex and would not fulfill my top requirement which was to build a whole house system that would allow me to use my 1080 plasma and my 4K Oled both. At the time and maybe now HDbaseT would default to the lower resolution. My second goal was to use a file server to deliver movies but ripping from disc became more and more time consuming. Finally, though I do use balens I have never understood them.

So, what I am suggesting is that you fully explore if what you want to do is possible or worth the complexity. As I stated I have not followed the HbaseT technology for a couple of years. Otto is more the expert.

Extending HDMI over cat cable is completely possible. MT distributed video system allows me to use 1080P and 4K. It doesn’t default to the lower resolution. The theater isn’t part of the distribution system, however.

Sorry to bug you guys. I got it figured out.

post #10 of 19 Old 10-17-2019, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Extending HDMI over cat cable is completely possible. MT distributed video system allows me to use 1080P and 4K. It doesn’t default to the lower resolution. The theater isn’t part of the distribution system, however.

Sorry to bug you guys. I got it figured out.

MT distributed video system is a new one on me. Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.

post #11 of 19 Old 10-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Thank you for the compliment but I'm hardly and expert on the subject. HDBT really isn't that complex as long as you use solid core CAT-6 cable. The only downside I see is the fact that there is still video compression, but that may change with the new chipsets which should be, or already are available.

post #12 of 19 Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
MT distributed video system is a new one on me. Thanks for the heads up. I will look into it.

Sorry about the typo. As I’m sure you realize, MT = My. Tough critic...

post #13 of 19 Old 10-18-2019, 02:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
HDBT can handle HD and 4K with different 'support' depending on which HDBT chip set the manufacturers of any extender kit are utilising.

Reverting to HD or transferring 4K and then down converting to HD are 'add on' features which you can wrap around HDBT (or other) over CAT technologies.

At present the 'problem' with full bandwidth 4K UHD is one of bandwidth and understanding what 'supports' means as all current 'over CAT' solutions have to employ some form of compression - the 'next gen' of HDBT claims no compression.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #14 of 19 Old 10-18-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Fernand View Post
HDBT can handle HD and 4K with different 'support' depending on which HDBT chip set the manufacturers of any extender kit are utilising.

Reverting to HD or transferring 4K and then down converting to HD are 'add on' features which you can wrap around HDBT (or other) over CAT technologies.

At present the 'problem' with full bandwidth 4K UHD is one of bandwidth and understanding what 'supports' means as all current 'over CAT' solutions have to employ some form of compression - the 'next gen' of HDBT claims no compression.

Joe
As I wrote I stopped following HDBT a couple years ago. I am not current. I see compression as a noticeable degradation of quality while some are little bothered by it. I think we both are looking forward to new chips which can allow various formats to reach their potential.

post #15 of 19 Old 10-18-2019, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

I went forward with the latest and greatest new release of HDBaseT stuff from Snap A/V. I learned some people I know use them and have nothing but good things to say. Since it was a known quantity I figured it would work fine for me.

post #16 of 19 Old 10-18-2019, 09:16 AM

Quote:
I went forward with the latest and greatest new release of HDBaseT stuff from Snap A/V. I learned some people I know use them and have nothing but good things to say. Since it was a known quantity I figured it would work fine for me.

Let us know how it works out. Curious minds want to know

post #17 of 19 Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1663 Post(s)
Liked: 1205
Let us know.

I've seen this one advertised as well, which clearly states support for 18Gb/s HDMI at 230 feet:
https://www.amazon.com/gofanco-Proph...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

$300 seems a reasonable price right now.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #18 of 19 Old 10-18-2019, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Let us know how it works out. Curious minds want to know

So far so good!

post #19 of 19 Old 10-19-2019, 12:43 PM

Quote:
So far so good!

Excellent. Post back and let us know how it holds up over a couple of weeks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page