Setting up a BT transmitter on a TV - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By NickTheGreat

post #1 of 5 Old 10-19-2019, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Setting up a BT transmitter on a TV

Hello all,
My elderly parents have a newer Samsung 4k TV in their kitchen. They spend a lot of their time there and when I go to visit, I notice that they have the volume turned up really loud as my dad has hearing issues (former artillery man in US Army and steelworker as career). I was thinking of getting him a Bluetooth wireless speaker that he could put next to his seating area, connected to a Bluetooth transmitter hooked up to the TV via optical cable. It seemed pretty straightforward until I started thinking about how I have to use my iPod to pair with a BT transmitter in my own home.

This is the BT transmitter that I'm considering getting:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MXFJGQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

along with this BT speaker:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073BVWRSP...v_ov_lig_dp_it

How would one pair the speaker to the transmitter without having a smart phone or iPod, or could this be done one time and it will always work after that?
Thanks

BenQ W1070 front projector, Definitive Technology BP2002 towers, Def Tech CLR2002 center, Def Tech BP2X surrounds, Def Tech PF15 subwoofer, Denon AVR3300 receiver, Panasonic Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, Roku device, Monoprice HDMI switcher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-20-2019, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Five28 View Post
Hello all,
My elderly parents have a newer Samsung 4k TV in their kitchen. They spend a lot of their time there and when I go to visit, I notice that they have the volume turned up really loud as my dad has hearing issues (former artillery man in US Army and steelworker as career). I was thinking of getting him a Bluetooth wireless speaker that he could put next to his seating area, connected to a Bluetooth transmitter hooked up to the TV via optical cable. It seemed pretty straightforward until I started thinking about how I have to use my iPod to pair with a BT transmitter in my own home.

This is the BT transmitter that I'm considering getting:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077MXFJGQ...v_ov_lig_dp_it

along with this BT speaker:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073BVWRSP...v_ov_lig_dp_it

How would one pair the speaker to the transmitter without having a smart phone or iPod, or could this be done one time and it will always work after that?
Thanks
Many TV's have blue tooth pairing. Check your parent's TV's manual.

Also for $50 you can buy ear buds or headphones so your father can get high volume sound while others will not be blasted.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #3 of 5 Old 10-21-2019, 10:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked: 397
I bought BT transmitter for getting my bedroom TV audio into my master bath. I was disappointed with lag/delay. It created this weird echo in the bathroom. Unacceptable to me. The one I bought was low-latency, but not low enough for me.
Five28 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1197
Plug these into your cable box and call it done...
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS...s%2C127&sr=8-3

I have several sets of these in my home that my wife/kids/me can listen to television at whatever volume we want to.

It can be plugged right into the red/white audio output of the cable box and it's working immediately.

Potentially, you can use the audio output of the TV to feed the headphones. But, that's only IF the TV supports stereo audio output in some form.

You can also use HDMI audio extractors with RCA connections on them to get two channel audio.

Or you can use a ARC HDMI audio extractor to get RCA stereo audio.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-22-2019, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
Plug these into your cable box and call it done...
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-RS...s%2C127&sr=8-3

I have several sets of these in my home that my wife/kids/me can listen to television at whatever volume we want to.

It can be plugged right into the red/white audio output of the cable box and it's working immediately.

Potentially, you can use the audio output of the TV to feed the headphones. But, that's only IF the TV supports stereo audio output in some form.

You can also use HDMI audio extractors with RCA connections on them to get two channel audio.

Or you can use a ARC HDMI audio extractor to get RCA stereo audio.

Those Sennheisers look pretty good. Problem is, I want to come up with a solution where he can hear the TV while still being part of normal conversation. Wearing headphones would either block or muffle conversation from everyone else in the room. That's why I was thinking of a small, wireless BT speaker that he could keep next to him. He'd be able to hear the TV sounds on it, but the rest of the room would be relatively quiet with the TV at normal volume in the background so everyone could talk and be heard.

BenQ W1070 front projector, Definitive Technology BP2002 towers, Def Tech CLR2002 center, Def Tech BP2X surrounds, Def Tech PF15 subwoofer, Denon AVR3300 receiver, Panasonic Blu-Ray player, Apple TV, Roku device, Monoprice HDMI switcher
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page