Can I use Chromecast on a Crestron system? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-24-2019, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Question Can I use Chromecast on a Crestron system?

My employer has a "Crestron system" running the A/V in our conference rooms. Each room has an HDMI port along with others to allow us to connect PCs etc for display. I'd like to bring in a Chromecast device and hook it up in Guest Mode so that people could easily just cast content from their Android phones to the system (not sure what iPhone users would do). However the tech guys there say that the Chromecast won't work on the Crestron HDMI input "for some unknown reason". I don't see why since there's wifi available and power for the Chromecast.

Are they selling me a pack of lies or is there a reason why the Chromecast wouldn't work here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-24-2019, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
No reason I can think of why Chromecast dongle can't plug in as a source on any HDMI switcher.
The "tech guy" might not have the background.
Can you try it?
post #3 of 3 Old 10-29-2019, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
HDMI connections for Crestron are industry standard HDMI and work with all HDMI devices.

As long as resolution is setup properly, which is typically going to be 1080p and the device isn't powered over HDMI (most use a USB power supply separate of the rest), then there's nothing holding you back.

I've been doing Crestron for 20+ years now, and the information you were provided was wrong.

Those laptop connections should support a PS4, X-Box, PC, cable box, Blu-ray Disc player, or any other HDMI standard device just fine.

Depending on what your control system actually is, you may also be able to add another input directly to the unit and not take up the laptop connection with the Chromecast device.

We often use models from the DMPS series, which have 5+ inputs on them, and typically the customer only uses 2 or 3 of those inputs. A room PC, a laptop at the table, and a wireless device. This leaves 1 or 2 connections open for future devices, like a cable box, or AppleTV.

But, I would just grab your Chromecast, plug it in, and call it done.

Whatever the reason this is not being allowed, it's not because Crestron is the issue.

Be aware that Chromecast is known to be pretty buggy in the commercial space with a lot of compatibility issues. While it's supposed to 'just work', for MANY users it doesn't come close to that reality. So, they end up with a ton of IT questions and then there are also firmware incompatibilities that make things not work.

The best wireless commercial product I have seen to date is the Barco Clickshare.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page