Minimum temperature you can prewire Cat6/RG6/16/2 wire - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 10-29-2019, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Minimum temperature you can prewire Cat6/RG6/16/2 wire

Hey looking for expertise from anyone with experience pre wiring homes in cold weather.

I've hired a local A/V shop to handle the prewire of my new home up in Calgary, AB Canada (where it gets cold). I'm prewiring Cat6 to almost every room, WAP's on each floor, speakers to most rooms and blinds to all the south facing windows.

The temp went from plus weather and all of the sudden dropped significantly way below freezing (it was -20 C last night, thats -4 F).

Its cold again today, but warming up with a daytime high of -4C (25F), but is supposed to drop to -20C (-4F) again tonight.
Tomorrow it's supposed to warm up to 7C (45F) so should be fine.

My question is: How long does it take Cat6, RG6 and 16/2 wire to warmup to a temp it's safe to pull after its been so cold.

Pretty much all the runs for the entire house have been started, so it's not possible to move the wire into a warm vehicle or building at this point.

They haven't done anything for the last couple days because of the temp, just wondering if it's safe to go back to work tomorrow or if it would be better to wait 24 hours with warmer temps to let the wire thaw out?

Is there any chance there could be damage to inside any of the wires without there being noticeable damage to the outside jacket?

My main concern is just getting a proper install. Don't want to have insulation/drywall done, move in, then find out there was damage done because there wouldn't be an easy way to fix it at that point obviously.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked: 94
I have run Cat6 in the snow, but don't recall the specific temp. But the wire was fine. The fingers and toes not so much.
As always, try not to kink the wire (no matter the temp). Cold will just make that more important.

We'll assume the rough framing is done and sheeted. So the window openings are still open?
Put some Tyvek across the openings and get some heat in there (propane, kerosene etc). More for the workers than the wire.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 10-29-2019 at 04:16 PM.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-03-2019, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
You only have to worry about the outer jacket cracking when it gets too cold. Nothing will happen to the actual cables but you don't want to pull the wires when it cracks when you bend it.

AV Professional for 23 Years
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page