how do you get audio from NAS to soundbar - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-03-2019, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 3
how do you get audio from NAS to soundbar

if i have my movies on the NAS i cant figure out how to get the audio to my soundbar to my sony a8g

soundbar:

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0722191805405/[HW-F550-F551-XU,XE,XN]AH68-02647R-05ENG-0703.pdf

i have this hdmi switcher. would it work for 4K? https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Im.../035VSHD31.PDF

does a switcher and the soundbar have to be 4k compatible or does hdmi just pass thru anything you send its way

ive been reading up on roku and apparently it has hdmi and ethernet so could i feed from NAS to roku thru ethernet then HDMI to a switcher then the soundbar? my tivo premiere would be the other source on the switch.

edit: figured it out. use the optical ..duh

Last edited by luckydriver; 11-03-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-03-2019, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 83
You might want to look at something like the Nvidia Shield and use it to run Plex.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #3 of 5 Old 11-05-2019, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
A Roku Stick or FireTV stick would allow you to connect wirelessly, if you prefer. That can simplify things. Install PLEX on your NAS or other connected computer and use PLEX app on Roku to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 07:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
You might want to look at something like the Nvidia Shield and use it to run Plex.
i never heard of this so looked at their site. i see ethernet and hdmi connections. ive been trying to read up on audio connections since ive been out of the loop a long time and i guess if i got the shield i still dont understand how that helps with the sound quality vs the optical i use now. my understanding is the optical will be the limiting cable in my setup to the soundbar. so even if the shield hdmi runs to the tv the only way to get it to the sound bar directly would be an hdmi switcher.

currently with my 2.1 system my tivo premiere runs to the soundbar then to the tv

so the NAS sound goes to the tv thru ethernet then thru optical to the sound bar.

so my question is, will i really notice a difference in sound by spending 200 for the shield vs just thru optical now? or should i switch tivo to directly to the tv and run shield to the sound bar with hdmi . see how confused i am

im also thinking about a black friday sale BB has on a vizio 5.1.2 system for 299. i dont need the best or most perfect system. just something that sounds 'pretty good' while i watch the 4k movies. im' tempted to get it and see see how it works with my current setup. but if i can make things easier im all ears

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/vizio-5...?skuId=6288824
post #5 of 5 Old 11-08-2019, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanPackMan View Post
A Roku Stick or FireTV stick would allow you to connect wirelessly, if you prefer. That can simplify things. Install PLEX on your NAS or other connected computer and use PLEX app on Roku to play.

nas is next to tv so no worries about wires there

https://www.roku.com/products/roku-ultra-lt

i checked out the ethernet roku. i now understand id plug my ethernet to roku then roku to my bar directly so id definitely get sound no issue. and the tivo would pipe the sound thru the optical that comes from the tv and since tivo is just 1080 theres no 'degradation' i guess u would say?

i did order the vizio sound bar and its coming tomorrow so im gonna see how things sound with them hooked up as is. dont wanna spend 80 on roku if this sounds good enough as is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page