am i doing this right..? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-12-2019, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
am i doing this right..?

I have a 4k TV, a 4k cable box, but a old receiver without hdmi ports.

my plan is to run an hdmi from the 4k cable box to an hdmi audio extractor ( https://www.amazon.ca/ESYNIC-HDMI-Au...reative=330641 ) and then run an hdmi cable from that extractor to the tv, and an optical cable from the extractor to the receiver.

my questions are:

a) my tv has an hdmi in port that has "Arc", should i use that hdmi in port since my audio extractor has an "arc on/off" switch on it. or does that not matter because of the age of my receiver?

b) is there anything i'm doing wrong in this configuration?

Thanks!

Last edited by natess; 11-12-2019 at 04:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 11-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by natess View Post
I have a 4k TV, a 4k cable box, but a old receiver without hdmi ports.

my plan is to run an hdmi from the 4k cable box to an hdmi audio extractor ( https://www.amazon.ca/ESYNIC-HDMI-Au...reative=330641 ) and then run an hdmi cable from that extractor to the tv, and an optical cable from the extractor to the receiver.

my questions are:

a) my tv has an hdmi in port that has "Arc", should i use that hdmi in port since my audio extractor has an "arc on/off" switch on it. or does that not matter because of the age of my receiver?

b) is there anything i'm doing wrong in this configuration?

Thanks!
ARC is Audio Return Channel - the idea is it kicks audio to the receiver but this is via HDMI, so if your receiver does not have HDMI then ARC wont work

do you care about Dolby and all the higher end codecs? If you have an older receiver, I am going to assume you do not care as older receivers cannot read those codecs and will just take the best codec they can read.

Some TVs have optical audio outputs - if yours does and your receiver has an optical audio input you could go cable box > hdmi > TV > optical audio output > receiver optical audio input. that saves you the money from buying that extractor

if your TV cannot output audio or your receiver does not have an optical (or matching your TVs audio output) output, then yes, get an extractor. Cable box > hdmi > extractor then continue the HDMI out to the TV and the audio to the receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page