Octava UHD41-ARC Owners: Do you get Dolby Vision via Apple TV 4K though this switch? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2019, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Question Octava UHD41-ARC Owners: Do you get Dolby Vision via Apple TV 4K though this switch?

Hi,

So I've had the UHD41-ARC for a couple of years, and I just noticed that the switch isn't recognizing the Dolby Vision signal from my Apple TV 4K. I know this is probably a unique situation, but I'm just hoping to find out if this is normal or something I need to correct within my setup.

I don't think I ever would have noticed, except I just moved to a new house and quickly connected the Apple TV directly to my LG C8 TV, and it immediately showed a message asking if I'd like to try Dolby Vision. I selected "yes" and then the TV displayed a "Dolby Vision" logo in the top right corner of the screen whenever I turned on the Apple TV or watched Dolby Vision content. It had never done this when the Apple TV 4K was connected through the UHD41-ARC.

I didn't think much about it until I had time to reconnect all my AV components through the UHD41-ARC and realized that Dolby Vision was not appearing on the LG screen when I selected Dolby Vision content within various streaming apps (Netflix, Vudu, iTunes). The Dolby Vision logo was still present on the description of the content on the different apps, but the TV was not displaying them in Dolby Vision. Strangely (or maybe correctly?), within the Disney+ app, the Dolby Vision logo would only show when the Apple TV 4K was connected directly to the LG C8 TV, when connected via the UHD41-ARC it would only show the HDR10 logo.

Finally, Dolby Vision is not a display option within the Apple TV 4K video settings when connected through the UHD41-ARC, but it is when connected directly to the LG C8 TV.

I tried trouble shooting myself - switching out to new HDMI cables, ensuring deep color was enabled on the TV input I was connecting to - but nothing has allowed me to pass Dolby Vision through the UHD41-ARC to the LG C8 TV.

I thought the UHD41-ARC passed through Dolby Vision content - but I just can't get it to work and I don't know why.

All that said, I did a little more research, and I think it might have to do with the maximum bit depth that the UHD41-ARC is capable of passing through to the TV - but I'm not sure.

I'm just wondering if this is an issue anyone has run into before, or if this is the expected behavior of the UHD41-ARC?

My setup is as follows:

Verizon Fios to UHD41-ARC HDMI input 1
Apple TV 4K to UHD41-ARC HDMI input 2
UHD41-ARC HDMI out to LG C8 HDMI input 1 with HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color turned on
UHD41-ARC optical out to Sonos Playbar

If it turns out this is actually a limitation of the switch, is anyone using a switch that would enable this scenario? The main reason I went with the UHD41-ARC was to be able to get Dolby audio directly to my Sonos Playbar and correct audio sync issues with Fios - which it has done perfectly. I also chose it because it passes HDR - although after watching a bunch of content in Dolby Vision, I really do think it looks better, and want to find a switch that does all of this while being able to pass Dolby Vision too.

Thanks for any help/insight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-07-2019, 03:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Pretty sure DV is outside of the scope of the HDMI chipset in the UHD41-ARC - I will check and come back to you.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-08-2019, 03:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 631 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Had a quick chat to the Support team in Atlanta - the very latest version of the UHD41-ARC will support DV, unfortunately I think your unit pre dates that option.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
apple tv 4k , dolby vision , hdr , octava , uhd41-arc

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page