Setting up a home video/music lounge - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 11-27-2019, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Setting up a home video/music lounge

I’m so outside my comfort zone and should have asked for direction and advice before trying to build my system. I have party room with 5 32” flat screen TV sets all with HDMI inputs. I have a cheap micro computer with its own monitor running a DJ program called Virtual DJ ( VDJ ). The computer has only one HDMI output. From the single HDMI output I ran to a cheap ($14) HDMI splitter and from the splitter to the individual TV sets. When I play music videos from my computer it works fantastic. All the monitors show the same video which is exactly what I want. Over the past few weeks I’ve bought 3 different HDMI switches in order to add more sources and this is where I can’t get the system to run correctly. When I add my iPad or iPhone to the switch then I can’t get the switch to switch between the computer video that is running or the iPad video that I want to run. For example, when I’m playing a video from the computer everything works fine till I pause or stop the video at the end and try to switch to the iPad input and nothing happens. The iPad video will play on the iPad or iPhone but the switch will not switch or sense that I want to use the other input. The 3 different switches I’ve tried were all under $15 dollars and both powered and none powered switches.

My goal was simple but proving more difficult and costly as I experiment.
I want all my TV’s to show the exact same source at the same time. I want to have multiple input sources that I can switch between on the fly ( iPad, IPhone, computer, Sat receiver etc.) if a video is playing from the computer and a friend connects his iPhone to HDMI input 4 and starts to play a YouTube video I would like to be able to simply press the input selector on a switch to input 4 and the video on the screens just start showing what’s coming from his phone. Im just lost as to why I can’t get any switch I buy to actually switch the signal. ☹️
I’m using the usb audio output from the computer going to my mixer and out to my amp which works fine. The audio from the iPad or iPhone goes straight from the headphone jack to another channel on my mixer and works fine.

What am I missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-03-2019, 03:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1203
If video isn't even being detected using a Apple to Lightning HDMI adapter, you have a bigger issue from the start.

HDMI switches need to be powered if at all possible, and while some passive switches are okay, that's about all they are. Get a decently rated powered HDMI switch off of Amazon and spend the $30-$40 or so to get one that is well reviewed.

Then, the HDMI splitter must be powered and well reviewed as well.

When you go from 'PC' to 'Apple', expect that the Apple product will carry copyright protection (HDCP) which may thwart things for a bit. HDCP (copyright protection) is a real menace, as is EDID.

I typically hit up eBay then spend some money to get a much nicer setup overall, but then that's at least a couple hundred bucks.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page