WHA - converting to Sonos - advice
Currently I have a Monoprice six-amp controller wired to six zones. 4 of those zones are older Sonance ceiling speakers and 2 are outdoor speakers. It's just ok. I can control the monoprice amp and I can control music but it's a multi-step process involving multiple apps. Also, the sound quality coming from the ceiling speakers is fine for background music but it could be better. Finally, with only six zones I do have some dead spots in my house. Perhaps ironically, I'm using a Sonos 1 in one of those zones.
I currently own a couple Sonos devices, a playbar and sub, the aforementioned Sonos 1, and a first generation Amp. I didn't go with Sonos originally because it was expensive and I had grand ideas that a matrix switch would be better because I could use any type of input. The reality is 95% of our listening is Spotify. The remaining 5% is tv audio or Pandora. I never got around to setting up Bluetooth receivers or figuring out how to get our legacy "hosted" music into it. I had great plans to build my own control interface and spent way too much time messing around with various setups. That was two years ago.
My plan is to convert everything to Sonos. I have three thoughts. None seem great.
1. Buy 5 amps (for a total of 6) and feed the monoprice zones into the input side of the amps. Buy a couple Play 3, Play 5 where sound is more important to me. I guess technically I could buy Connects if I don't need the power from the Amps.
- pros: more flexibility of sources, all speakers could be grouped/used
- cons: it feels wrong, I'm putting a matrix in front of a matrix.
2. Leave the monoprice and the ceiling speakers alone. Buy separate Sonos equipment for all my rooms.
- pros: I could still use the one system for background music, didn't waste all the time and money, running the system.
- cons: I will never use the old system
3. Rip out the old system, put it all on ebay, patch my holes, drink, etc
- pros: I acknowledge my initial failure and that makes me a better person
- cons: My wife acknowledges my initial failure. Never stops mentioning that she can see where the holes were in the ceiling no matter how well it's patched.