Long Sub Run from NX6000D - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-07-2019, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Long Sub Run from NX6000D

I’m wiring up my theater (7.2.4) and plan to have my Denon X6500 AVR push dual sub outputs to a Behringer NX6000D amp on the rack. I’m new to using an amp like this so need some help determining how to wire it up. The sub amp would feed the signal about 45’ through the wall to a jack where I’ll end up connecting my two subs.

I’m struggling to determine which format to use for sub runs. The sub amp uses Speakon out so I could run that all the way to a wall plate and then potentially continue with a speakon all the way to the sub, but I don’t see many references for people doing this. Everyone seems to use RCA style plugs for passive subs. My subs are DIY (Devastators w/ 21” LaVoce) so I can determine the plug configuration, but I’m more concerned about making sure I’m getting a good signal to them.

Also, would you recommend an unbalanced to balanced converter from the AVR to the Behringer amp or on a short run of 3’ is it unnecessary?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-07-2019, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans3 View Post
I’m struggling to determine which format to use for sub runs. The sub amp uses Speakon out so I could run that all the way to a wall plate and then potentially continue with a speakon all the way to the sub, but I don’t see many references for people doing this.
A blank wallplate with a 15/16" hole in it and one of these Crazy glued to the back: https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL4MP.../dp/B0091TKZS8

12AWG speaker wire between SpeakOn connectors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans3
Everyone seems to use RCA style plugs for passive subs.
Not sure where you've been looking, but most everyone in the DIY section (probably the better section for your question) uses SpeakOn or binding posts.

This from AVR -> Behringer: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR.../dp/B001VLW398
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190228_165620.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	2650624   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190228_165551.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	252.8 KB
ID:	2650626  

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
post #3 of 4 Old 12-07-2019, 09:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smcmillan2 View Post
A blank wallplate with a 15/16" hole in it and one of these Crazy glued to the back: https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik-NL4MP.../dp/B0091TKZS8

12AWG speaker wire between SpeakOn connectors.

Not sure where you've been looking, but most everyone in the DIY section (probably the better section for your question) uses SpeakOn or binding posts.

This from AVR -> Behringer: https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-XLR.../dp/B001VLW398
Extremely helpful, thanks! So for behind the wall did you just run a standard 12AWG 2-pole wire and then terminate it with with the Speakons? I'm trying to determine if I need to run something like a heavier 4 pole wire that is shield or if I'm good with the standard speaker wire. Again, thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 12-07-2019, 10:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by djevans3 View Post
Extremely helpful, thanks! So for behind the wall did you just run a standard 12AWG 2-pole wire and then terminate it with with the Speakons? I'm trying to determine if I need to run something like a heavier 4 pole wire that is shield or if I'm good with the standard speaker wire. Again, thanks!
Just normal CL2 rated 2 conductor 12AWG wire: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L170C6...ing=UTF8&psc=1

Sub builds: Yet another Infinity 1260 build | Twins! | Modified V.B.S.S. build | UM12-22 builds | AV stand and sealed UM18s

Speaker builds: DIYSG HTM-10 build | DIYSG Volt-6 build | DIYSG Fusion-8 builds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page