Help with TX / RX over ethernet - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-26-2019, 08:18 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help with TX / RX over ethernet

Hi - I have design question I hope folks can help weigh in on. I need to identify and purchase transmitters and receivers for my home AV system limited by the number of ethernet runs between the closet and the living room.

I need to transmit HDMI (picture only), a center speaker signal and subwoofer signal to the LR. I need to return IR and a SPDIF audio. I'm attaching a drawing to show what I'm looking to build. I already have the speakers working and the SPDIF working but there's no IR back to the head unit and no HDMI for on screen setup, etc. Option 2 is what I'm shooting for as option 1 will require too much work for my wife when she wants to just watch TV.

any thought on the transmitters and receivers that will work here would be awesome! Thanks much and happy new year!

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AV Design.pdf (48.8 KB, 7 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-26-2019, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Are your Cat cables Cat 6 or better? With Cat6 or better quality terminations?
Video requires good wires for the bandwidth needed.
You can also use Video over IP with a managed switch.

not sure what the "RCA " HDMI , speaker "baluns" are about.

Speakers are connected via speaker cable from the AV receiver.

Just list what cables exist and their approx. lengths. I think by you trying to design the system it's then mucking up what you have to work with.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 12-26-2019 at 09:32 AM.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-26-2019, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.

Cables are cat 6 with quality terminations. There are only two runs of cat 6 from the closet to the living room. No other cables between those locations.

I need to connect my AV Receiver to my subwoofer and center speaker. I'd like to also like to send HDMI from the AVR to the Living Room. And I'd like to send IR and SPDIF back from the living room to the closet.

That's what I'm trying to achieve and I don't know what equipment will help me get there. Right now, I'm sending the subwoofer and center speaker over one cat 6 cable using #1 below and the SPDIF back over another using #2 below. I'm missing the HDMI and the IR.

LMK if you can provide any thoughts on how to hook this up.

#1 - amazon.com/gp/product/B008DJTAAQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
#2 - amazon.com/gp/product/B00AUKJGBY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2020, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1678 Post(s)
Liked: 1214
What kind of center speaker do you have that uses a RCA cable instead of a speaker cable?
Was adding surround sound to the room a complete afterthought?

Yes, you do need to connect your receiver to your subwoofer, center channel, right channel, left channel, and surrounds... How are you getting audio to all the other speakers?

You will need to give a more complete list of your gear I think as your speakers are not industry standard if you are just making RCA connections to them, which makes it a real question mark as to why you are using an AV Receiver. Sounds more like you should have a speaker bar with a wireless subwoofer in the room and use a HDMI switcher in the basement instead of a receiver. Send HDMI up from the basement to the TV then use the TVs optical audio output into the speaker bar. That's only one HDMI extender. Then use the other category cable for your IR repeater.

But, need to know what equipment you actually are using by make and model, not just by generic descriptors.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-07-2020, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated View Post
What kind of center speaker do you have that uses a RCA cable instead of a speaker cable?
Was adding surround sound to the room a complete afterthought?

Yes, you do need to connect your receiver to your subwoofer, center channel, right channel, left channel, and surrounds... How are you getting audio to all the other speakers?

You will need to give a more complete list of your gear I think as your speakers are not industry standard if you are just making RCA connections to them, which makes it a real question mark as to why you are using an AV Receiver. Sounds more like you should have a speaker bar with a wireless subwoofer in the room and use a HDMI switcher in the basement instead of a receiver. Send HDMI up from the basement to the TV then use the TVs optical audio output into the speaker bar. That's only one HDMI extender. Then use the other category cable for your IR repeater.

But, need to know what equipment you actually are using by make and model, not just by generic descriptors.
Thanks for the reply ...

To answer your questions:
  1. The center speaker uses speaker wire and the sub uses RCA ...
  2. The AV receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR608. The center speaker is a JBL 150 SISAT center speaker.
  3. Surround sound was not an after thought but during the build but the contractor made a mistake and didn't install a conduit. He embedded the cables directly in the wall and he missed speaker wire.
  4. There are two cat6 cables and one standard COAX cable embedded in concrete that run between the closet and the living room. This is in a NYC apartment with concrete walls and no basement, so I must use the cables that he put in the wall as there is no practical way to change, add, or remove the existing cables.

I thought this would be the best solution, but I don't know what equipment is needed to achieve it:
->Pass HDMI and the center speaker signal from the amp to the living room over one cat6 line
->Pass SPDIF (optical) and IR (for the amp) from the living room to the closet over the other cat6 line

If anyone has other ideas to get the center signal and HDMI to the living room and the IR and SPDIF to the closet using the cabling I have, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks again for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Tags
hdbt

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page