Weak hdmi signals - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-29-2019, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Weak hdmi signals

Hi I'm looking for a little advice on a couple of items.

1. I have a Virgin media tivo and they only come with 1 HDMI output and I want to push the t.v into my kitchen over a 5m HDMI cable, I have run it though a splitter and its not powerful enough, it barely gets enough signal if I connect the kitchen t.v direct to the tivo so I'm looking for a decent powered splitter that also boosts

Are there any decent 1 in and 2 HDMI outputs that also boost ?

I am also looking for a decent 4K HDMI booster, I have an LG 4K bluray player that is connected to an Optoma UHD65 4k projector via a 20m HDMI cable that barely gets the signal to the projector.

Its strange because if I switch on the LG the projector displays the home screen perfectly, it if fine with Netflixs or even movies on USB hard drive but as soon as you try to play a 4k movie on disc it looses the signal really easily between cut scenes so any recommendations for a powered 4k HDMI booster

Thanks

PSB Imagine T3 - PSB Imagine S Surround - PSB Imagine C3 Centre - B K P12-300SB - B&W CCM65 x 4 in the ceiling - PSB CS1000 in the garden
Marantz SR7010 - NORD TWO ICE POWER 1200AS2 - Cambridge Audio A5
Sony Bravia KD65x8509C - Optoma UHD65 - PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-02-2020, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
What kind of cable did you use that is 20m? 4K HDMI needs an extremely high quality cable. It's not about boosting the HDMI signal, but using a cable which is capable of supporting 18Gb/s at that distance reliably. Ruipro is consider the most typical cable used for longer 4K cable runs.

You have a lot of other things going on here as well which could be tripping you up, including the splitter itself.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-03-2020, 01:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hi and thanks for the reply,

The projector is not run through a slitter it is directly connected to 1 of the 2 HDMI outputs on the Marantz SR710 and the cable is a high quality cable that does support 18 Gb/s - I made sure of that because when I replaced my standard HD projector with the UHD65 the original cable did not work.

I only want the slitter for the kitchen t.v

I do think I know what the problem is though, because the projector plays downloaded content via USB and streams content (including 4K) though Netflix installed on the 4K bluray I have come to the conclusion that it is down to the cable but not because it can't push that much data - I recon its not getting the HDCP handshake quick enough.

This though I am not totally sure of, if the HDCP handshake is requested from the "Device/Bluray player" it doesn't explain it but if the HDCP handshake request appears from the 4K Bluray disc then it could.

I have some experimenting to do, play an old bluray that does not use HDCP (though that would not be conclusive as it will be pushing much less data so if the cable/signal was the issue this won't prove that theory, the other is to buy a cheap slitter that ignores the HDCP request

I'll keep on trying

PSB Imagine T3 - PSB Imagine S Surround - PSB Imagine C3 Centre - B K P12-300SB - B&W CCM65 x 4 in the ceiling - PSB CS1000 in the garden
Marantz SR7010 - NORD TWO ICE POWER 1200AS2 - Cambridge Audio A5
Sony Bravia KD65x8509C - Optoma UHD65 - PS4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-03-2020, 09:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

What is the make of the cable you bought? Did you get a Ruipro fiber HDMI cable or some other fiber cable and do you have other 4K/60 content which you can push across the cable for testing?

You should go into the HDMI section of these forums rather than this section for HDMI issues because what you are talking about will be an HDMI cable issue by most experienced people who have played with 4K and cabling issues directly.

The number one issue with 4K is the cable. A quality cable with 4K almost doesn't exist when you get beyond 25 feet. Ruipro is about the 'best' there is. Other fiber cables work well, but are unreliable long term. Active cables from Monoprice have the same issue in terms of reliability. Non-active cables are pretty much junk and will not work well.

So, an older Blu-ray player which isn't pushing 4K may work just fine because it will be a 3Gb/s signal. 4K non-HDR will be at 10Gb/s. UHD/HDR content will be closer to 18Gb/s. These are three tremendously different situations.

Of course, I don't know what the make/model of your projector is in this setup either and that may come into play.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
post #5 of 5 Old 01-03-2020, 09:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

For your Tivo/Kitchen TV, what is the other TV and how far away is it from the Tivo? Are you using a powered splitter or a passive splitter? Are both TVs 4K/UHD or is one a different resolution than the other? Does the Tivo spit out UHD resolution?

The big obvious is that if the TVs aren't both 4K and the Tivo is 4K, then you won't get a signal to the kitchen if that signal is a higher resolution than the TV supports.

Of course, if it is a UHD signal at 18Gb/s then you get back into the previously discussed importance of actual cable quality, but I'm not sure we are at that point yet.

Getting a powered splitter which is capable of supporting the resolution which the Tivo puts out is the right way to go. Amazon and Monoprice will have properly rated splitters. Monoprice is more likely to have honest reviews of people who are buying for the full capabilities of the splitter.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page