iTunes on PC unable to play on AVR and AppleTV connected to secondary router - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-01-2020, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
iTunes on PC unable to play on AVR and AppleTV connected to secondary router

Hi all, I hope I came to the right place to ask this question. I have a PC with iTunes installed in my study on the first floor. The PC is connected to Linksys router. My Marantz SR7012 receiver is located in the basement in my dedicated HT. I have a second router in my dedicated HT with the Marantz AVR connected to it for internet. My Apple TV 4K is also connected to this second router. An ethernet cable is connected between the two routers. Here is my problem:
-Airplay does not work on my receiver or the Apple TV. It sees the Marantz receiver and the Apple TV device but times out and cannot connect.
-If I plug my ethernet cable coming from the main router in the study into either the receiver or the AppleTV device airplay works for both.

So my question is: is there a way to configure the receiver and apple tv device to point directly to the main router in the study so airplay can work? Not sure how to do this but maybe somehow with changing the ip addresses on the receiver and apple tv? Or configuring the main router to somehow see the two devices? Any help would be appreciated.

Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 4K Projector|Amazon FireStick 4K|AppleTV 4K|Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu Ray Player|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-01-2020, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Are you talking about a Router or a Network Switch?

There should be one router in the system that is connected to the dirty side of the Internet.
Then, an ethernet cable to a Switch distributes the network connection to other areas of the home.

Internet <> modem <> firewall typically in a router <> ethernet cable <> Switch <> ethernet cable(s) to devices
post #3 of 5 Old 01-02-2020, 04:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1684 Post(s)
Liked: 1215
The above response is dead on. You should list your network equipment, but it should be exactly as listed.

Internet comes into your home and goes to a modem. If you are using a major USA provider, this modem typically acts as a router as well.

From there, all your network connections should be endpoints and network switches. You may have some wireless access points in there as well if you need them. But, you should not have another router in your system at all.

The concern is that Linksys you mentioned. It may be the wrong product.

AV Integrated - Theater, whole house audio, and technology installation in the Washington DC metro area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-02-2020, 04:33 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 9
If you want to use the second router as simply a switch. You need to disable routing and place it in bridge mode I think.
That should resolve the issue with the current hardware you have.
But a basic switch is what would normally be used in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 Old 01-02-2020, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Thanks all. That is what happened. I was using the second router in the HT as an AP and wifi extender. My AVR and Apple TV was connected to the secondary router. iTunes couldn't connect to my PC which was on the main router. Now I ran the ethernet from the main router into a switch and bypassed the secondary router. Now all is good. So now I just use the secondary router as a wifi extender only; with an ethernet cable from the switch.

Before:

Internet cable modem<>Linksys Router<>Netgear Router acting as Access Point/Wifi extender<>ethernet switch<>Marantz AVR/Apple TV 4K

After:

Internet cable modem<>Linksys Router<>ethernet switch<>Marantz AVR/Apple TV 4K/Netgear Wireless Router acting as Access Point/Wifi extender

Klipsch RF82BK L+R Speakers|Klipsch RC62BK CC Speaker|Definitive Technology B92X Surrounds|NHT Super One Rear Surrounds|4 Polk MC80 Ceiling Atmos|Velodyne VLF 1012 and Definitive Technology PF1500TL+ SWs|Marantz SR7012 Receiver|Yamaha RXV1800 Receiver for Atmos|JVC RS2000 4K Projector|Amazon FireStick 4K|AppleTV 4K|Panasonic UB820 UHD Blu Ray Player|Seymour Center Stage UF AT 140" diag 2:35 Screen on DIY frame and false front wall

Last edited by den110; 01-02-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page