New Construction - Sonos WHA Setup - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 01-03-2020, 07:13 PM - Thread Starter
pd_

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New Construction - Sonos WHA Setup

Hi - I'm building a new home currently and want to prewire for in ceiling speakers. I'm planning to go with all Sonos for audio needs.

I basically want to be able to play music (Spotify Premium mostly - maybe some apple music) throughout the house, but at the same time, only have audio on for where the TVs are. Will the pre-wire and 4 amps be enough for what I'm planning to do?
  • Sonos Beam in gathering room for TV and music (Zone 1)
  • Sonos Beam in master for TV and music (Zone 2)
  • Study will have Playbar w/ Sub (Zone 3)
  • Zone 4 for remaining speakers including Outdoor patio (Might cut the outdoor prewire out and just put one outdoor sonos speaker outside)

Also kind of confused if I should run all of the wires to a central box and attach all fo the amps there as I'm installing a switch in a big enclosure for all electronics. What about cat6e cables? Should I have that prewired as well?

TIA for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd_ View Post
Hi - I'm building a new home currently and want to prewire for in ceiling speakers. I'm planning to go with all Sonos for audio needs.

I basically want to be able to play music (Spotify Premium mostly - maybe some apple music) throughout the house, but at the same time, only have audio on for where the TVs are. Will the pre-wire and 4 amps be enough for what I'm planning to do?
  • Sonos Beam in gathering room for TV and music (Zone 1)
  • Sonos Beam in master for TV and music (Zone 2)
  • Study will have Playbar w/ Sub (Zone 3)
  • Zone 4 for remaining speakers including Outdoor patio (Might cut the outdoor prewire out and just put one outdoor sonos speaker outside)

Also kind of confused if I should run all of the wires to a central box and attach all fo the amps there as I'm installing a switch in a big enclosure for all electronics. What about cat6e cables? Should I have that prewired as well?

TIA for the help!

For the rooms with the Playbar or Beam, and the 2 Rear In ceiling speakers...... :

will the rears only be used for whole home audio.. or were you trying to have them act like rear speakers connected to the Playbar or Beam?
post #3 of 13 Old 01-04-2020, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter
pd_

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
For the rooms with the Playbar or Beam, and the 2 Rear In ceiling speakers...... :

will the rears only be used for whole home audio.. or were you trying to have them act like rear speakers connected to the Playbar or Beam?
I'd like for them to be rear surround when watching TV but also for audio throughout when playing music. Is that possible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 01-05-2020, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I would get rid the of the Dining and Hallway speakers.

Straighten the kitchen speakers so they flank the island (in line with lights, maybe)

2 amps would be used as surround channels and you will need an amp for the kitchen and patio each.

So 5 amps, 3 soundbars

AV Professional for 23 Years

Last edited by ifor; 01-09-2020 at 10:55 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 01-06-2020, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter
pd_

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
I would get rid the of the Dining and Hallway speakers.

Straighten the kitchen speakers so they flank the island (in line with lights, maybe)

2 apms would be used as surround channels and you will need an amp for the kitchen and patio each.

So 5 amps, 3 soundbars
Yeah I was thinking if those were overkill and if the surrounds/kitchen would fill the rest of the room. It would save me some money for the extra amp too. Thanks for the input
post #6 of 13 Old 01-13-2020, 11:28 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I personally would hard-wire regular passive speakers everywhere that you want music or home theater. Since this is a new build, you can run all of your cables to a central closet, which will give you much more flexibility down the road vs locking yourself into sonos. That means instead of using soundbars for TV, run proper 3 channel LCR, which could be in-walls or at least wire for a LCR soundbar. I'd then use separate receivers for your zones 1, 2, and 3, and 2 channel distribution for your kitchen, outdoor speakers, etc.

post #7 of 13 Old 01-15-2020, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Agreed. Hard wire always if new construction.
Sonos is fine for mid level system where you don't want to wire.
Much better alternatives available if you can wire. Like Cavalier suggests.
post #8 of 13 Old 01-16-2020, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter
pd_

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
Agreed. Hard wire always if new construction.
Sonos is fine for mid level system where you don't want to wire.
Much better alternatives available if you can wire. Like Cavalier suggests.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalier240 View Post
I personally would hard-wire regular passive speakers everywhere that you want music or home theater. Since this is a new build, you can run all of your cables to a central closet, which will give you much more flexibility down the road vs locking yourself into sonos. That means instead of using soundbars for TV, run proper 3 channel LCR, which could be in-walls or at least wire for a LCR soundbar. I'd then use separate receivers for your zones 1, 2, and 3, and 2 channel distribution for your kitchen, outdoor speakers, etc.
Yeah haven't finalized anything yet so that is still a possibility. Wanted to go the soundbar route and really liked the sonos sonance speakers, which is why I initially thought Sonos setup.

Have any recommendations for LCR Soundbar and passive speaker setup that would be on par or better than the sonos setup?
post #9 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pd_ View Post
Yeah haven't finalized anything yet so that is still a possibility. Wanted to go the soundbar route and really liked the sonos sonance speakers, which is why I initially thought Sonos setup.

Have any recommendations for LCR Soundbar and passive speaker setup that would be on par or better than the sonos setup?
Speakers are a matter of personal preference. I suggest you go listen to various in walls and see what you like. I have B&W throughout my house and love them.

post #10 of 13 Old 01-17-2020, 10:29 PM

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am building a house and did a similar system based on Sonos. But I cut a few corners that saved some money. First, I did not get the Sonos brand in-ceiling speakers, they are very expensive compared to other brands that do just fine for ambient music in a distributed audio system (I went with Episode 1300 series at $300 a pair). But I still connected them to a Sonos amp which I really like. I also really like the Sonos beam soundbar.

Second, you can easily wire four speakers to one Sonos amp. This route is admittedly not for blasting high decibels but it is fine for ambient level music listening, especially when two rooms are open and connected anyway. I would also cut out the speaker in the hallway speaker and dining speaker and instead have the speakers flank the kitchen island. You can play music form your Sonos sounbars and it sounds really good.

For additional cost saving, you could cut out the in ceiling speakers in the study. Unless you really want a surround sound setup, those in ceiling speakers are not necessary. Most higher end music listening systems have either floor standing or maybe bookshelf speakers with a subwoofer, so adding those in ceiling speakers to a soy bar does not really benefit you all that much. Also keep in mind that in ceiling speakers can be noisy to upstairs rooms.

If you watch a lot of movies in your master bed that might be worth it to do the in ceiling speakers. I did not brother and am just going with a Sonos beam and subwoofer. You can always pre wire for them and add the speakers and Sonos amp at a later time. Yes, you can set them up to be surround sound for that zone, and for music mode you can preselect the soundbar to be off or on.
post #11 of 13 Old 01-21-2020, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I would recommend looking at Bluesound instead of Sonos.

Sonos just ended support for any device older than 2015.

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #12 of 13 Old Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifor View Post
I would recommend looking at Bluesound instead of Sonos.

Sonos just ended support for any device older than 2015.

I got that SONOS email as well.. not sure why people are going crazy?

What other updates are you looking for on an older sonos connect? Mine pushes Pandora and Spotify, to my Denon Reciever, thats really all I need it for. No mic, not looking for Voice Support etc. cant think of any other update they could push, that would make my sonos connect better than it already has been for the past years.....

These older sonos units will still work for years to come.
post #13 of 13 Old Yesterday, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyOnTheWall View Post
I got that SONOS email as well.. not sure why people are going crazy?

What other updates are you looking for on an older sonos connect? Mine pushes Pandora and Spotify, to my Denon Reciever, thats really all I need it for. No mic, not looking for Voice Support etc. cant think of any other update they could push, that would make my sonos connect better than it already has been for the past years.....

These older sonos units will still work for years to come.
I surmise the issue will be when the music service(s) changes their API and the service then goes dead on the old, no longer software updateable Sonos hardware. Google just did this a few weeks ago. We had to drop everything and update our GMusic app as a result as they changed their authentication method. This stuff happens fairly often with these cloud services.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page