Wiring question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-07-2020, 07:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Wiring question

New house, 5.1.2 speaker wiring to AV room located approx. 35 ft from A/V closet rack. Numerous cat 6 lines run between closet and AV room. All components for control located in AV closet EXCEPT for BD (and TV & speakers of course) which is in a cabinet below TV for ease of access. Audio contractor connected BD to TV via HDMI and audio via coax cable back thru cat 6 line to AV closet where it is connected to AVR. Question, can this cabling carry full ATMOS surround audio ? I'm not sure that I am receiving ATMOS content. BD is set to bitstream.

TV - Samsung QN65Q8
BD - Sony x700
avr - Yam RX-A660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-17-2020, 11:00 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked: 2639
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyora View Post
New house, 5.1.2 speaker wiring to AV room located approx. 35 ft from A/V closet rack. Numerous cat 6 lines run between closet and AV room. All components for control located in AV closet EXCEPT for BD (and TV & speakers of course) which is in a cabinet below TV for ease of access. Audio contractor connected BD to TV via HDMI and audio via coax cable back thru cat 6 line to AV closet where it is connected to AVR. Question, can this cabling carry full ATMOS surround audio ? I'm not sure that I am receiving ATMOS content. BD is set to bitstream.

TV - Samsung QN65Q8
BD - Sony x700
avr - Yam RX-A660

A little confused. Why didn't you connect the BD player directly to the AVR? Do you mean optical from tv to the avr instead of coax? If optical, that can only pass DD and possibly DD+ and maybe lossy ATMOS. Optical can not pass HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-MA, lossless ATMOS). The tv doesn't have the capability to properly decode those audio formats that's why it's best to connect the BD to the avr because avr's can decode any audio format.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page