• 1 Post By Pvr4Craig

post #1 of 29 Old 02-21-2020, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Newbie Help Please

So me and my wife are buying new house which we will be gutting so I can pre-wire if need be. Not a large house. About 4000 sq. ft. with 4 br. I'm just not sure if something like Alexa or Google home would be fine for my needs or Control4 or Savant for the network? The following is what I'm looking for.

Really would like voice control of most of my lights and TV's.

1. Speakers in living room, kitchen, gym and outside. Why would one go for wired over wireless? Wireless seems to make more sense. Why put speakers in wall and ceiling then stuck with placment. Don't really care about audio reciever. In current home have Sonos and happy with it.
2. For TV's I do think hard wired cat 6 is the way to go. Guess I can go right from router to TV with cables.
3. Lighting control. Would like to have voice/scene control of lights in rooms. Not sure the easist least expensive way to accomplish this.
4. Security cameras. Right now have Nest and it's ok. Why would hard wire be better over wireless. Can a wired system still be viewed via an app?

Budget for the "brains", lighting, speakers and cameras is about $2-3K. Any feedbak would be great, thanks.

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 02-21-2020, 06:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 107
You are going to have to multiply your budget many times for C4 or Savant.
And several times for any other solution.
I would suggest that you should look at DIY products like Z-Wave for lighting, IP cameras, hard wired in wall / ceiling speakers (that you wire and install) and do the project in phases.

You would select the control system first, then the devices, then the wiring. Then, install the wiring, then the control system then the devices then programming.

How interested are you in DIY? C4 and Savant are not DIY solutions.
post #3 of 29 Old 02-21-2020, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothtlk View Post
You are going to have to multiply your budget many times for C4 or Savant.
And several times for any other solution.
I would suggest that you should look at DIY products like Z-Wave for lighting, IP cameras, hard wired in wall / ceiling speakers (that you wire and install) and do the project in phases.

You would select the control system first, then the devices, then the wiring. Then, install the wiring, then the control system then the devices then programming.

How interested are you in DIY? C4 and Savant are not DIY solutions.
Thank you very much smooth. Very interest in DIY. Just not sure of the best HUB to start with. Why not wireless speakers?

beau
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 Old 02-21-2020, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Consider Lutron Caseta equipment for a budget friendly, yet very flexible and customizable option for lighting. It runs off in wall switches as well as an app. You can also easily use Alexa or Google home with it as well for voice control. Plus it's easily purchased at any big box store or Amazon and does not require special wiring. I've got Caseta devices through my home, as well as my theater, and love it.

For speakers, Sonos is a hard to beat system. I have a few in my home and love them.

For security cameras, look at the Ubiquiti Unifi line of cameras. They are also reasonably priced, and easy to set up. You can get the NVR for control of them all and see everything from the app or PC. I've deployed a few installations of them and they work great.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #5 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

thanks a lot. where does the cabling for the cameras get tied into? a router? not sure there would be enough ports as I'm looking for about 6 cameras . wired solution is fine for my outdoor cameras but don't want that for my indoor cameras . do they make wireless that could tie into the NVR? couldn't tell by thier site.
BTW the ubiquti app seems to have very bad reviews but the cameras seem great.

beau

Last edited by horsegoer; 02-22-2020 at 04:29 AM.
post #6 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 05:44 AM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by horsegoer View Post
thanks a lot. where does the cabling for the cameras get tied into? a router? not sure there would be enough ports as I'm looking for about 6 cameras . wired solution is fine for my outdoor cameras but don't want that for my indoor cameras . do they make wireless that could tie into the NVR? couldn't tell by thier site.
BTW the ubiquti app seems to have very bad reviews but the cameras seem great.
For Unifi equipment, which is mostly a wired design, you run all the cables to any switch or hub you use for your network. Then you plug the NVR into the same network switch or hub and your router will assign IPs as normal. You don't run them directly to the NVR. It's as easy as just putting them all on your home wired network. The limitation of camera count is only based upon the NVR abilities, which I believe is around 20 cameras. I have 10 on one and it works great. The G3 Micro camera is wireless. I've not used one of those, but I'm sure it works great.

As far as the app having bad reviews, not sure why. I find it to be a solid design for our organization's needs.

Spartans' Theater Build
7.2.4, 7 Seat Dedicated Theater
post #7 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 06:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thank you very much smooth. Very interest in DIY. Just not sure of the best HUB to start with. Why not wireless speakers?
wired is always better than wireless. Wire has more data capacity and is more reliable.
You use wireless when you can't wire.
Especially for IP cameras. Video is the largest consumer of network bandwidth. Can saturate a wired lan as well.

It's a little hard to recommend the "right" components because the budget is so low for what you are trying to do.

Wire all network cables to a distribution closet. Put a hub(s) in there to distribute the Internet from your cable company modem (or DSL or fiber etc).

Wire all speakers to same central closet 14 gauge. Wire for future speakers you are not sure of yet. Take pictures / video of where all wires are before sheetrock. Then 5 years from now you just cut the speaker hole out and there is the wire to connect.

In the closet I would start with an AV receiver that has two zones...the multi speakers go to your primary TV area (Great room, Living room etc). The remote zone to a pair of speakers elsewhere. You can't wire all speakers up haphazardly. Look up speaker Impedance info.

Wire HDMI / 2 Cat6 / one RG6 and an empty conduit that has a pull string in it to all major TV areas.

Put Cat6 where any future keypad / touchscreen would be mounted. High traffic volume areas like kitchen and foyer.

Wire Cat6 for all cameras including doorbell.

Wire 7 conductor HVAC wire to all thermostat locations. If you are going to use a good control system, you don't need to look at the thermostats. They just need to sniff the ambient air.

Wire security wire. And Serial or Cat6 from security panel to closet. Ideally the panel is in the closet. Windows, doors, motion in and outside.

Wire irrigation control wires from outside where valves / pump would be into the wiring closet.

Wire landscape lighting. Each lighting zone to the closet where relays / switches would be.

etc.
netteb33 likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
wired is always better than wireless. Wire has more data capacity and is more reliable.
You use wireless when you can't wire.
Especially for IP cameras. Video is the largest consumer of network bandwidth. Can saturate a wired lan as well.

It's a little hard to recommend the "right" components because the budget is so low for what you are trying to do.

Wire all network cables to a distribution closet. Put a hub(s) in there to distribute the Internet from your cable company modem (or DSL or fiber etc).

Wire all speakers to same central closet 14 gauge. Wire for future speakers you are not sure of yet. Take pictures / video of where all wires are before sheetrock. Then 5 years from now you just cut the speaker hole out and there is the wire to connect.

In the closet I would start with an AV receiver that has two zones...the multi speakers go to your primary TV area (Great room, Living room etc). The remote zone to a pair of speakers elsewhere. You can't wire all speakers up haphazardly. Look up speaker Impedance info.

Wire HDMI / 2 Cat6 / one RG6 and an empty conduit that has a pull string in it to all major TV areas.

Put Cat6 where any future keypad / touchscreen would be mounted. High traffic volume areas like kitchen and foyer.

Wire Cat6 for all cameras including doorbell.

Wire 7 conductor HVAC wire to all thermostat locations. If you are going to use a good control system, you don't need to look at the thermostats. They just need to sniff the ambient air.

Wire security wire. And Serial or Cat6 from security panel to closet. Ideally the panel is in the closet. Windows, doors, motion in and outside.

Wire irrigation control wires from outside where valves / pump would be into the wiring closet.

Wire landscape lighting. Each lighting zone to the closet where relays / switches would be.

etc.
thank you so much for your help truly appreciate it. I would think wired speakers decrease flexibility especially if you have them in a wall or ceiling then you're stuck with them in that location pretty much. can you still use voice control with wired speakers. I think Alexa or Google home as a hub is my best choice but I'm definitely going to get the lutron Caseta for lighting control.

beau
post #9 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 07:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Consider cat6a which will future proof you for a little more cost if HDMI is overtaken by SDvOE which is my pet fantasy. SDvOE exist now-the problem is bringing the cost down.

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #10 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2fly3 View Post
Consider Lutron Caseta equipment for a budget friendly, yet very flexible and customizable option for lighting. It runs off in wall switches as well as an app. You can also easily use Alexa or Google home with it as well for voice control. Plus it's easily purchased at any big box store or Amazon and does not require special wiring. I've got Caseta devices through my home, as well as my theater, and love it.

For speakers, Sonos is a hard to beat system. I have a few in my home and love them.

For security cameras, look at the Ubiquiti Unifi line of cameras. They are also reasonably priced, and easy to set up. You can get the NVR for control of them all and see everything from the app or PC. I've deployed a few installations of them and they work great.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
Thank you.

beau
post #11 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postmoderndesign View Post
Consider cat6a which will future proof you for a little more cost if HDMI is overtaken by SDvOE which is my pet fantasy. SDvOE exist now-the problem is bringing the cost down.
Thank you. I heard Cat6a is truly a waste over Cat 6 even for future? Esepecially if your home is not huge. Just what I heard/read.

beau
post #12 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 08:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Thank you. I heard Cat6a is truly a waste over Cat 6 even for future? Esepecially if your home is not huge. Just what I heard/read.
Cat6a allows more distance and a higher frequency and can have better shielding and more twists. The extra capacity will make software dependent video over Ethernet possible but SDvOE cost may not come down in cost which continues to hamper its adoption. However if you price out a spool of high quality copper cat6 vs a spool of cat6a the difference is under $200
"Cat6a supports bandwidth frequencies of up to 500 MHz, twice the amount of Cat6 cable, and can also support 10Gbps like its predecessor. However, unlike Cat6 cabling, Cat6a can support 10 Gigabit Ethernet at 100 meters. [Cat6 cabling on the other hand, can transmit the same speeds at up to 37 meters.]Feb 20, 2016"

Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha
Display: LG OLED 65e6p, Player: OPPO UDP-203, AVR:Yamaha TSR 7810, Streaming: Comcast 60Mbps RG6 to Cat6a, Speakers: Mains Vandersteen IIC, Center, Surrounds, Rears Klipsch
post #13 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Cat 6a...better is better. The cost difference is rounding error.
You can always also use wireless stuff when you have wires. Just not the other way around.
WIRE...you only have one opportunity to do so efficiently. The first time you want another wire...you'll regret not doing a full pre-wire when you could.
post #14 of 29 Old 02-22-2020, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Cat 6a...better is better. The cost difference is rounding error.
You can always also use wireless stuff when you have wires. Just not the other way around.
WIRE...you only have one opportunity to do so efficiently. The first time you want another wire...you'll regret not doing a full pre-wire when you could.

Thanks.

beau
post #15 of 29 Old 02-23-2020, 06:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
1. Speakers in living room, kitchen, gym and outside. Why would one go for wired over wireless? Wireless seems to make more sense. Why put speakers in wall and ceiling then stuck with placment. Don't really care about audio reciever. In current home have Sonos and happy with it.
Assuming your objective is to have background music in each of these locations, the main advantages of in-ceiling/in-wall speakers are cost and clutter. The risk of Sonos is that technology keeps changing and your investment may be obsoleted.

Personally, I have installed in-wall/in-ceiling speakers in 4 rooms on the main floor and plan to add patio speakers in the spring. All the wires come back to a central spot where the multi-zone amp will reside. Each amp zone will be connected to an (old) Airport Express which is updated to support Airplay2. (We're an Apple household.) Any iPhone, iPad or Mac will be able to play basically anything to any or all of the rooms. Traditionally, whole house audio systems have had wired controllers in each room. I see no need for this as I have a much better interface in my pants pocket all day long.

YMMV,

Craig
post #16 of 29 Old 02-23-2020, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvr4Craig View Post
Assuming your objective is to have background music in each of these locations, the main advantages of in-ceiling/in-wall speakers are cost and clutter. The risk of Sonos is that technology keeps changing and your investment may be obsoleted.

Personally, I have installed in-wall/in-ceiling speakers in 4 rooms on the main floor and plan to add patio speakers in the spring. All the wires come back to a central spot where the multi-zone amp will reside. Each amp zone will be connected to an (old) Airport Express which is updated to support Airplay2. (We're an Apple household.) Any iPhone, iPad or Mac will be able to play basically anything to any or all of the rooms. Traditionally, whole house audio systems have had wired controllers in each room. I see no need for this as I have a much better interface in my pants pocket all day long.

YMMV,

Craig
Understand your point. Can wired speakers be tied in and work via Alexa and Google? How would that work( what wold they wire back to).

beau
post #17 of 29 Old 02-23-2020, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Remember "wireless" speakers are not truely "wireless" unless they are battery powered. They have to be powered by something. Changing batteries seems like quite the pain for the option of possibly moving their location someday...
post #18 of 29 Old 02-24-2020, 04:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Understand your point. Can wired speakers be tied in and work via Alexa and Google? How would that work( what wold they wire back to).
No and I consider that a benefit. The privacy quagmire of both of the companies means I'll never have their voice assistants in my home. Their business models demand that they exploit every scrap of information that they can collect from you.

Craig
Postmoderndesign likes this.
post #19 of 29 Old 02-24-2020, 06:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Yes they certainly can and I do it now. (and so do many others)
You wire your speakers to an amplifier that is communicating with controller.
And in my case, that controller is a control4 system and Alexa. I would not rule out Control4 especially if you are hands on you can get the software that does most everything the dealer can do except add and remove devices.

JOE
post #20 of 29 Old 02-25-2020, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcjo View Post
Yes they certainly can and I do it now. (and so do many others)
You wire your speakers to an amplifier that is communicating with controller.
And in my case, that controller is a control4 system and Alexa. I would not rule out Control4 especially if you are hands on you can get the software that does most everything the dealer can do except add and remove devices.
Thanks.

beau
post #21 of 29 Old 02-26-2020, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Hey is this the same horsegoer from the MH forum?

I would encourage you to look at the Legrand offerings for lighting and audio.... because if you’re an EC, you can probably get better pricing from your supplier on this versus the Lutron and Sonos products, and that may help get closer to your budget.

Lutron by far has more product offerings than anyone else in lighting control, but I prefer the style and finishes of the Legrand devices. Lookup their WiFi lighting controls, but make sure you’re looking at the RF version and not the actual WiFi based switches. They do have two versions of WiFi based switches also.... one specifically for use with Alexa and google home, and another for HomeKit, but they also work with Alexa and google home. Weird.

The RF controls are a 900mhz system that uses a wired network hub. They have their own app, but also they offer drivers for Control4, and they integrate seamlessly. The benefit of this is that you could use Control4 scene controllers in the wall. The Legrand scene controllers are simple 4-button devices with a dimmer control, but they have no button customization like the Control4 SC’s. You can also integrate the Legrand hub with Alexa and google home. Their lighting controls work flawlessly. The pricing has gone up recently due to tariffs... I’m paying about $45 for a switch and $60 for a dimmer now. The hub is $100. The remote switch and dimmer is just slightly less. This is contractor pricing through my supplier.

For audio I use Nuvo. They have wired players and wireless tabletop speakers like you want. They also have sound bars with a wireless sub. What I like about them is that Nuvo has an in-wall control that matches perfectly with the lighting controls, and you can even link them to a tabletop speaker or sound bar. They are PoE devices. I use a Legrand structured wiring enclosure with a PoE switch to power them. Nuvo also works with Alexa, and integrates into control4.

I can install all of these items and then have my local Control4 dealer come out and install their controller, and it takes at most an hour to get it all setup.

You can likely get your lighting control done well within your budget, but the audio is going to eat that up quickly. A 3-zone player starts at about $800, and a single zone ranges from $400-$550. A tabletop speaker is around $300, the sound bar is $500, the wall controls, which aren’t necessary to operate it, are $100/ea. If you go all wireless, you’ll want to likely use their gateway, which is a WiFi router dedicated to the Nuvo equipment, and that’s another $150 or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #22 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
Hey is this the same horsegoer from the MH forum?

I would encourage you to look at the Legrand offerings for lighting and audio.... because if you’re an EC, you can probably get better pricing from your supplier on this versus the Lutron and Sonos products, and that may help get closer to your budget.

Lutron by far has more product offerings than anyone else in lighting control, but I prefer the style and finishes of the Legrand devices. Lookup their WiFi lighting controls, but make sure you’re looking at the RF version and not the actual WiFi based switches. They do have two versions of WiFi based switches also.... one specifically for use with Alexa and google home, and another for HomeKit, but they also work with Alexa and google home. Weird.

The RF controls are a 900mhz system that uses a wired network hub. They have their own app, but also they offer drivers for Control4, and they integrate seamlessly. The benefit of this is that you could use Control4 scene controllers in the wall. The Legrand scene controllers are simple 4-button devices with a dimmer control, but they have no button customization like the Control4 SC’s. You can also integrate the Legrand hub with Alexa and google home. Their lighting controls work flawlessly. The pricing has gone up recently due to tariffs... I’m paying about $45 for a switch and $60 for a dimmer now. The hub is $100. The remote switch and dimmer is just slightly less. This is contractor pricing through my supplier.

For audio I use Nuvo. They have wired players and wireless tabletop speakers like you want. They also have sound bars with a wireless sub. What I like about them is that Nuvo has an in-wall control that matches perfectly with the lighting controls, and you can even link them to a tabletop speaker or sound bar. They are PoE devices. I use a Legrand structured wiring enclosure with a PoE switch to power them. Nuvo also works with Alexa, and integrates into control4.

I can install all of these items and then have my local Control4 dealer come out and install their controller, and it takes at most an hour to get it all setup.

You can likely get your lighting control done well within your budget, but the audio is going to eat that up quickly. A 3-zone player starts at about $800, and a single zone ranges from $400-$550. A tabletop speaker is around $300, the sound bar is $500, the wall controls, which aren’t necessary to operate it, are $100/ea. If you go all wireless, you’ll want to likely use their gateway, which is a WiFi router dedicated to the Nuvo equipment, and that’s another $150 or so.

YES lol. You name looked familiar. Thanks for the feedback. My biggest challenge is whether to use just Alexa or Google or a controller like Control 4 or Allonis(MyServer). Not sure what the controllers allow me to do that just having Alexa or Google wouldnt.

beau
post #23 of 29 Old 02-29-2020, 09:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

"Not sure what the controllers allow me to do that just having Alexa or Google wouldnt."

Alexa and Google Home are geared for Voice remote control. They are not "Automation systems".
They are nice to get your feet wet but fall short of what a good automation controller is capable of.
They are not nearly as configurable for the specifics of your house, advanced rules, customizable notifications, macros, customizable user interfaces or the variety of hardware and software that can be integrated.

Crestron / Savant / Control 4 / myServer are true automation controllers. You can use Alexa or Google Voice as a "user interface" for most of the automation controllers as an option. But, we find that when you have a quality automation system, you tend to not use voice. Many of the regular functions are "automated", or voice is too kludgy to use for many tasks. It certainly has gotten better in the last couple of years, but it's still problematic.

Alexa and Google Voice also require the Internet to be available whenever you want to use those systems. That is not the case of a good automation controller that is house based hardware that works even when the Internet is down or slows.

The ability to manage "automation" standard capability (lights, climate control, security cameras) PLUS the ability to manage audio / video devices PLUS the ability to manage the media content is a hallmark of an advanced automation system.

It's the difference between a minibike and a Ferrari. They both can get to a destination. It's matter of performance and style.

Last edited by smoothtlk; 03-01-2020 at 06:00 AM.
post #24 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
"Not sure what the controllers allow me to do that just having Alexa or Google wouldnt."

Alexa and Google Home are geared for Voice remote control. They are not "Automation systems".
They are nice to get your feet wet but fall short of what a good automation controller is capable of.
They are not nearly as configurable for the specifics of your house, advanced rules, customizable notifications, macros, customizable user interfaces or the variety of hardware and software that can be integrated.

Crestron / Savant / Control 4 / myServer are true automation controllers. You can use Alexa or Google Voice as a "user interface" for most of the automation controllers as an option. But, we find that when you have a quality automation system, you tend to not use voice. Many of the regular functions are "automated", or voice is too kludgy to use for many tasks. It certainly has gotten better in the last couple of years, but it's still problematic.

Alexa and Google Voice also require the Internet to be available whenever you want to use those systems. That is not the case of a good automation controller that is house based hardware that works even when the Internet is down or slows.

The ability to manage "automation" standard capability (lights, climate control, security cameras) PLUS the ability to manage audio / video devices PLUS the ability to manage the media content is a hallmark of an advanced automation system.

It's the difference between a minibike and a Ferrari. They both can get to a destination. It's matter of performance and style.
thanks. true automation controller seems like the route I should go. I really want voice control of lights, tv, audio etc. a controller won't prohibit or make that more difficult will it.

can I setup a My server system myself or would I have to hire someone? hope not because don't think I'd do that. want a DIY system.

beau
post #25 of 29 Old 03-01-2020, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

With Control4 you can have a dealer install the system and then you can buy software that allows you to do the majority of configurations. A dealer always needs to be involved to add any next devices to the system.

Crestron is 100% dealer only, though some power users have gotten the configuration software and managed it themselves though I expect Crestron frowns on that and provides no support.

Not sure about Savant but I highly suspect it follows the Crestron strategy.

myServer is 100% DIY friendly. You are always provided the programming tools like the myDesigner application that allows for drag / drop design of highly customizable user interfaces. You can add devices, add Apps, add macros, configure scheduled tasks, create system rules. Additionally, Allonis offers programming services to do as much or as little as you want. We also have dealers that do end to end systems.

Keep in mind because of the capabilities of the above systems, there is a learning curve to know how to customize a system. myServer's core capabilities install working "out of the box" so you have a functional system to see how things are done that you can learn from or edit.
post #26 of 29 Old 03-02-2020, 05:23 PM

Newbie Help Please

Quote:
YES lol. You name looked familiar. Thanks for the feedback. My biggest challenge is whether to use just Alexa or Google or a controller like Control 4 or Allonis(MyServer). Not sure what the controllers allow me to do that just having Alexa or Google wouldnt.

I would go with Control4 out of those options.

If you want voice control, I know there is a way to integrate Siri. I haven’t used it, but the dealer I work with has and likes it.

I think you’re capable of installing the lighting and audio and having a dealer come setup a controller and program it. Feel free to pm me here or at the other forum if you want to discuss anything in depth. You’re welcome to call me also .

post #27 of 29 Old 03-02-2020, 05:24 PM

Newbie Help Please

Delete
post #28 of 29 Old 03-04-2020, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantmacga View Post
Quote:

I would go with Control4 out of those options.

If you want voice control, I know there is a way to integrate Siri. I haven’️t used it, but the dealer I work with has and likes it.

I think you’️re capable of installing the lighting and audio and having a dealer come setup a controller and program it. Feel free to pm me here or at the other forum if you want to discuss anything in depth. You’️re welcome to call me also .

thanks a lot.

beau
post #29 of 29 Old 03-05-2020, 04:46 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Hi horsegoer,

I'll give you some basic input on what you are trying to accomplish and outline some best practice.

1. Speaker cabe is also cheap, architectural speakers can allow you to have much more even coverage for sound in spaces over a single speaker stuck in the corner. Even if you don't install them all right away, once you have one pair up and running in say the Kitchen, you will definitely want to expand upon this.

2.I'll start out by saying, if you speak to any automated home installer or AV Tech, they will ALWAYS prefer wired over wireless. As much as WiFi has improved over the years, you are never going to have the exact same reliability and security of a wired system. With streaming being commonplace now, built into all Media devices and TVs they spend a lot more time using internet traffic.

I would recommend running 2 CAT6 and a coax to your TV locations as a minimum.
As you are gutting the property, it is the perfect time to run cables everywhere you might need them, TVs, Office, PoE CCTV, etc. Not to mention perhaps a local Jack in Kids bedrooms where there might be a desktop or games console.
This will greatly improve your overall flexibility and reliability. Cable is cheap, and with the walls stripped it's the perfect time to do this.

If you need more ports than your router offers itself, an Ethernet Switch will expand your ports for very little cost.

3. I'm not a expert in automated lighting, but there are many products on the market from Lutron, KNX, Crestron, Loxone, Control4 etc. Each have their own merits, and most of the systems have drivers to integrate with consumer voice assistants.

4. PoE cameras would be best. Again, for reliability, and to have a central recording NVR. The camera, as the PoE suggests, takes power and data over a single CAT6 line. Depending on how many cameras you are looking for, kits can be competitive, from 4 up to 32 cameras. In industry, the generally preferred brands are HikVision and Dahua. These do have apps for streaming to a mobile device, or if you are installing a full-blown automation system, there are drivers to integrate with your chosen controller.

Quote:
So me and my wife are buying new house which we will be gutting so I can pre-wire if need be. Not a large house. About 4000 sq. ft. with 4 br. I'm just not sure if something like Alexa or Google home would be fine for my needs or Control4 or Savant for the network? The following is what I'm looking for.

Really would like voice control of most of my lights and TV's.

2. For TV's I do think hard wired cat 6 is the way to go. Guess I can go right from router to TV with cables.
3. Lighting control. Would like to have voice/scene control of lights in rooms. Not sure the easist least expensive way to accomplish this.
4. Security cameras. Right now have Nest and it's ok. Why would hard wire be better over wireless. Can a wired system still be viewed via an app?

I hope some of this helps address your questions, I know there are others on here with more in depth knowledge of specifics in lighting etc.

Budget for the "brains", lighting, speakers and cameras is about $2-3K. Any feedbak would be great, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page