Newbie Q: Different distribution methods for old movies - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-21-2020, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Newbie Q: Different distribution methods for old movies

Our movie media exist in three different places. The main room has the 4K Blu-ray and main satellite hookup. my bedroom is the modern gaming room but the reason why that's related to Media is because the Xbox 360 contains the HD DVD player and that needs to be distributed. finally in our basement we have both game and linear media that is way too inconvenient to bring up for one time so therefore it'd be easier just to keep it down there and bring it upstairs. CRT is down there and that's absolutely necessary for games where you're shooting stuff with the light gun.

Okay so we got a few options. I know nothing about video distribution. I've done it before with wired where you could split it but you need to split it where's going to separate and have power to its to get enough power for to register. Likewise I also got a UHF home broadcaster. In addition to separating wires causing power losses, running too long of links also causes power drainage in the signal.

I also can get these Wi-Fi routers that are media compatible. My LaserDisc betamax and VHS are real close to the main DSL router. The other two places are close to wire hookups to the internet.

I understand there's a difference between an internal Network and an external network. Our weakest link is the external network because we live in a place where the only Xbox compatible network is 1.5 megabits in 400 kilobits out.

first video is process directly by those various machines would a wired ethernet Network do well in distributing video? If not can video be distributed through Wi-Fi? If so what connections do I need to convert video into signals receivable by my 4K Blu-ray player in the main room, an Xbox One in the PlayStation 3 in my new game room, and I know what kind of device I need to buy for an old game room with a CRT TV that accepts component S-Video composite and RF.

one time I tried an RCA s video sender and the problem with that was it had to be line of sight so I couldn't penetrate floors or walls. Do the new Wi-Fi ones penetrate walls better, and if not does the wired ethernet Network make it moved anyway?

by the way I see video senders going for like 50 to $100 that are one in one out units. Should I assume a consumer-grade UHF transmitter would sell for more on eBay because UHF can have one in many out?
Then we got the question of existing UHF broadcast. I heard that UHF broadcast today stop at the high analog 30s. Which means 40 through 69 is reserved for new communication styles like high-speed Wi-Fi and cellular.

My Dish Network sends a wired signal via RF cable and is tuned to analog UHF channel 60, would a passive combiner of 2 F-Type connectors females to 1 F-Type female be able to combine the outdoor UHF signals and the indoor Dish Network and have them not interfere with each other within the line.

I remember before my Dish Network was kind of bad going to my TV when there was an analog 61 nearby. Now that analog 61 is gone and no digital channels go beyond at most 40, if its neighboring frequencies as causes issue then a local and walk 60 should not interfere with the UHF broadcast from the aerial antenna and vice versa.

If I were to go with the UHF broadcaster, it only has composite and L/R. If I want to distribute surround sound on LaserDisc, I got two choices. First, can I send it in a toslink language and transmit that instead of audio on one of the two audio tracks? second I know that these headphone converters translate them into 2 track stereo and if you listen to those through an unconverted headphone, the Dolby headphone conversion is carried into whatever input it goes to. so I could send a post converted Dolby headphone signal through these L/R inputs too.

Finally how do we deal with remote controls? Are there such things as IR blasters that can penetrate walls and floors? Are the IR blasters Independent of the home network or do they use it?

by the way we don't have a communal surround system because it's too expensive to install and buy where is headphones is $100 a person or less.

that's basically what I know about home distribution. Since I'm asking to take from the community here's what I'm going to give back: the best thing to hook up a streaming device and a TV in as low ping of ways possible for light gun games to work and be streamed on Twitch or Mixer.

The secrets are to split the video as soon as possible. And send one of the two routes into the CRT TV with nothing connected in the middle the has processors that could slow down the signal. If your TV can't do components and you have an S-Video device but no s video plug,. since conversion between S-Video and composite or component takes time just hook up the regular composite inputs. Nanoseconds are more important than 90 bit accurate color.

the other end you plug into your streaming / recording device.

in the case of the Hauppauge rocket which is what I have there's not enough power if you split it unpowered to run the rocket. Therefore you have to find a powered analog TV signal booster. something that can be plugged into a wall outlet to boost the signal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-21-2020, 05:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 84
What exactly are you trying to share in the house? DVD? VCR? Sat? Cable? All?

AV Professional for 23 Years
post #3 of 13 Old 03-21-2020, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Too much info to read.
What are you trying to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 03-24-2020, 04:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Sounds way too complex and potentially costly to get anything close to what you are describing - simpler to simply add additional Source devices in the second and third zones where you require them and physically move the media around between zones.

Joe

Octava Inc. Multi-cast HD over LAN solutions.

RuiPro UK and EU Sales and Support

The Media Factory. Residential and Commercial systems.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-26-2020, 11:02 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Yeah, previous generation game consoles are easy to pick up used and/or cheap. Add one or more locally where you need them instead of attempting to distribute.

What HD-DVD content isn't available for $10/title on BD these days? $100 of cheap BDs would be a much better answer to "upgrade" your media library instead of buying dongles to distribute those things.

Same question with a different answer regarding LD/Beta/VHS - pick up another player if you really do "distribute" the content. But ask yourself, how often do you really do that? As Joe recommended, pick up duplicate sources if you only need to distribute some content to some places - as opposed to "all content to all places".

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #6 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

My main question is I want to compare in home UHF broadcasting the movies to the main room, vs using a wifi network to in-home broadcast old media (vs your third choice of updating the collection)

At home, I heard point to point broadcasters rely on line of sight and cost $100 for a sender receiver pair, and if there are wall and floors, it's a poor picture.
I tried to find the eBay price of a UHF home strength broadcaster. (No one is selling. I assume it's $500 or more) I bought one for $20 in 2005. And yes, all our TVs have the Analog/Digital VHF/UHF reception ability.

I'm afraid of UHF interference from the air. Any website to find a clear channel of UHF at my address?

We also have a home network. I see dad's 4k media player on my Xbox One and PS3 options, and he sees my players on his Sony 4K/Blu Ray/internet movie player. Is there any way to get my Downstairs analog media center recognized by both rooms?

As fpmor re-collecting them. .

I recently went through our VHS and Beta collections, and organized into sell as masters, sell as blanks, and transfer to DVD-R ASAP. We compared our "maybe transfer" list to things existing on BD, Dish, or web movie services. If it's $10 a copy it less new, we'll get it when we get it.

Also, if my Beta breaks down, I should buy a beta just to transfer irreplaceable old media vs having Legacy Box do it. Some is home movies, others are rare TV and movie moments.

I tried to look for information on Legacy Box's policy about whether they give you TV recorded material, or whether they delete it on their hard drives before they give it to you. Rush Limbaugh's radio ads are unclear about what happens with copyrighted materials. He only talks about home movies.

When I get a beta, I should just use it to transfer and sell it back before it breaks.

Legacy Box price for 10 beta tapes costs $300. Might as well buy a Super Beta Hifi at this point, and prioritize Beta transfer, and sell it back before that breaks too.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

To be even briefer, I want information about In Home Remote Media via WiFi vs In Home Analog UHF Broadcasting.

I have low internet speeds. If everything is staying in my house, are internet speeds irrelevant and just WiFi/Ethernet speeds the only concern?

Where do I get in home video network equipment?

What's of better quality? In home WiFi video, in Home Ethernet video, or In Home UHF? What's the price for equipment?
post #8 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 02:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Rip the current analog content to digital format.
Then you can use a modern (non UHF) means of streaming the content (via Wifi or Ethernet) to a renderer / player.

You can use a Hauppauge analog to digital capture card (like a colossus). Rip to a NAS.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Well I said Burn DVD-Rs.

There is no advantage ripping Laser Discs with a capture card and piping to a DVD recorder and hitting record and not touching it until done.

You guys are giving me lots of options. I just wanted to see what's better between home network vs UHF.

Where does one find Ethernet / WiFi in-home broadcasters. Am I right that the quality of my movies are in proportion to my internal home network, and has nothing to do with internet connection.

(Start tangent about bad internet)

My internet connection is so low, I unintentionally got into Internet Limbo contests. I rate playing Xbox 360 games using sub-minimum network.

You're a civic league network b*tcher (complainer, nothing to do with equating anything to female dogs.) Unless you can limbo under 3 Mb/s inbound or 1 Mb/s outbound. That's the minimum Xbox live speed to play online.

I'm a major leaguer. I have a website 56ok.org with my reviews. In 2013 I improved from Sprint 3G (500k/ 200k) to 1.6 Mb/s 400 kb/s out DSL.

(End bad network tangent)

I'm also worried about Copyguards when converting VHS, Beta, LD, and HD DVD to DVD-R for 10 cents a disc, I've seen strange video results with certain movies.

For better quality, I should use a wifi/Ethernet network. Can they do 1080p, Dolby/DTS/LPCM 7.1 quality?
post #10 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

I checked Best Buy, and all I could find was INBOUND video. I see no outbound broacaster boxes. I need one of S-Video +5.1 for downstairs.

What category of items (search term) would I look up on Best Buy or Ebay or Amazon? Best buy came up with junk results.

Do you think an Analog UHF broadcaster for sale might go for some big money because it is impossible to capture and broadcast Copyguards accurately on analog UHF?
post #11 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 06:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

DVD-Rs are yesterday (actually almost a decade ago). Rip to hard drive.
No UHF or "Broadcast" (whatever that is).
Internet speed is irrelevant (why bringing that up here?)
Not sure why you are bringing gaming into the discussion. What does that have to do with what you are trying to do for THIS thread?

Anyway, I gave you a viable solution for what I am understanding you are trying to accomplish...
post #12 of 13 Old 03-28-2020, 10:20 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked: 900
Do you have coax wiring to the TVs? Depending on your access to the cabling, you could do an "old school" modulator solution for that stuff... That will be way better and cheaper than any attempt to set up a UHF broadcast. And you wouldn't even need to go that far - there are old school "wireless video senders" that should be cheap, for transmitting composite video.

But I'm with others - digitize the content so that #1 you have saved it from further degradation, #2 remove the need for old gear and video format support, and #3 be able to watch and use it "like any other content"...

Jeff

Rock Creek Theater -- CIH, Panamorph, Martin Logan, SVS PB2000, Carada Masquerade, Grafik Eye, Bar table, Green Glue, JVC RS50 
NOTE: If you find dead photo / blocked Photobucket links in any of my posts, please PM me and I will fix them.
post #13 of 13 Old 03-30-2020, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for giving LOTS of options.

I see wireless video senders on eBay, but only receivers on Best Buy.

I mention network speed because inbound stream might not be an option, (from Netflix, Hulu et .,) but I assume I can use the Ethernet/Wireless G/N network for internal video sending and receiving, even if I had Dial Up.

I mention games because my Xbox 360 is my HD DVD player

I did go through all media and have 22 HD DVDs, some of which were in bundles and don't need replacing. All my Other media I segregated into "already own in DVD-R or higher", " able to acquire on modern media" and "unable."

Is there an "old media as collectable" page on AVSForum? We have quite a few Widescreen VHS master tapes and lots of Beta masters (master meaning not copied off TV or deck to deck). Maybe I can sell old and upgrade.

And I should be glad that games are much more fundamentally changed over time when put in new formats vs Movies. Then old movies in old formats are only collectables, up to the highest bidder, not really losing much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page