New addition, running coax over long distance via verizon> - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 04-26-2020, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question New addition, running coax over long distance via verizon>

Have a new addition in middle of constructing, and doing all the pre-wire work. Have all the speaker locations marked and smurf tube running to each location.

Problem is the addition is on the opposite side of the house where the verizon fiber optic cable comes in, and the main junction for the coax cable.

To get from point A to B, I'd have to junction the coax on the outside where the converter box is, up the side of the house (2-story colonial style) to the attic, run through the attic to the other side, drop down the wall to the first floor, and then diagonally run through the 1st floor garage and addition attic. In total, I'd guess the single line run would total approximately 120ft.

Is there another means of doing this so I don't lose signal quality, as this will become the main theater/entertainment area for the house? Is this the norm in what is done?

Thanks for all help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-07-2020, 05:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocoRob View Post
Have a new addition in middle of constructing, and doing all the pre-wire work. Have all the speaker locations marked and smurf tube running to each location.

Problem is the addition is on the opposite side of the house where the verizon fiber optic cable comes in, and the main junction for the coax cable.

To get from point A to B, I'd have to junction the coax on the outside where the converter box is, up the side of the house (2-story colonial style) to the attic, run through the attic to the other side, drop down the wall to the first floor, and then diagonally run through the 1st floor garage and addition attic. In total, I'd guess the single line run would total approximately 120ft.

Is there another means of doing this so I don't lose signal quality, as this will become the main theater/entertainment area for the house? Is this the norm in what is done?

Thanks for all help!
Spoke with someone from verizon, but they said to use a good shielded RG6, nothing else really.

I saw something online new from Belden and Canare that's certified for 4k. Belden 12Ghz SDI cables which are a little over a $1 a foot. Anyone use these?
post #3 of 4 Old 05-07-2020, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked: 1355
I'm not sure you'll get much improvement for the dollar over good RG6. There is always the option of adding a good drop amp at the junction box. The important thing is to eliminate any connections in the middle. That means no wall plate connector, bring the cable out of the receptacle box and connect directly to cable box.

It sounds as if you intend to keep using cable for TV. If you are moving to streaming, then don't invest too much in TV cable. Do run Ethernet regardless (I'm sure your already on that, just had to say it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-13-2020, 01:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 68
I'd install a drop amp at the junction box prior to the existing distribution splitter (with the new outlet connected to the existing splitter), or, install a drop amp at the junction box with a DC-9 on the output. The TAP let feeds the new outlet and the OUT (or THRU) let goes to the existing splitter.

CIAO!

Ed N.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Home A/V Distribution

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page